katchina/simplified methylation protocol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deliarose, Mar 25, 2007.

1. deliarose

deliarose New Member

This is a protocol for CFS. The author of it, Rich Van Konyenburg, is not sure whether it would work for fibro.

So let me get that out of teh way first.

The basic idea is that people with CFS have a block in the methylation system and the folate system which holds down their production of glutathione.

Glutathione is the body's master anti-oxidant. It is critical for keeping viruses at bay and a lack of it can lead to sleep and hormonal problems and diabetes insipidus.

There are some tests that may tell you whether you would benefit from this protocol, but I, and others decided to try the treatment and see if it works .. chiefly because the genetic testing required runs $700 and the supplements are cheap.

By the way, the protocol is adapted from one that is being used in autistic kids. There is a short form and a long form.

I, and others on this board, are trying the short form.

See next post for the recommended supplements.
    Delia

2. deliarose

deliarose New Member

(Amy Yasko is the autism researcher whose protocol Rich VAn Konyenburg has adapted for CFS patients)

here's the list of supplements that are recommended for the short form of the protocol:

The simplified approach would involve giving the following oral supplements daily, all of which are available from Dr. Yasko’s supplement website at http://www.holisticheal.com:

¼ tablet (200 micrograms) Folapro (Folapro is 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate, an active form of folate, which is sold by Metagenics with a license from Merck, which holds the patent on synthesis).

¼ tablet Intrinsic B12/folate (This includes 200 micrograms of folate as a combination of folic acid, 5-methyl tetrahydrofolate, and 5-formyl tetrahydrofolate, aka folinic acid or leucovorin (another active form of folate), 125 micrograms of vitamin B12 as cyanocobalamin, 22.5 milligrams of calcium, 17.25 milligrams of phosphorus, and 5 milligrams of intrinsic factor)

(up to) 2 tablets (It’s best to start with ¼ tablet and work up as tolerated) Complete vitamin and ultra-antioxidant from Holistic Health Consultants (This is a multivitamin, multimineral supplement with some additional ingredients. It does not contain iron or copper, and it has a high ratio of magnesium to calcium. It contains antioxidants, some trimethylglycine, some nucleotides, and several supplements to support the sulfur metabolism.)

1 softgel capsule Phosphatidyl Serine Complex (This includes the phospholipids and some fatty acids)

1 sublingual lozenge Perque B12 (2,000 micrograms hydroxocobalamin with some mannitol, sucanat, magnesium and cherry extract)

1 capsule SAMe (200 mg S-adenosylmethionine)

1/3 dropper, 2X/day Methylation Support Nutriswitch Formula (This is an RNA mixture designed to help the methylation cycle. It is not essential, but is reported to be helpful.)

I am using most of these except the last one. I may add that later. You can get some of this stuff anywhere. I got some of the stuff off Amazon.

3. deliarose

deliarose New Member

When there is a methylation cycle block, one of the many results is that the person can't make serotonin and melatonin properly, and that impacts sleep. In addition, there is a sleep apnea mechanism in CFS involving the low carbon dioxide production of the mitochondria (because of glutathione depletion), which causes the respiratory center in the brain to slow and shallow the breathing during sleep. This keeps tripping the low oxygen set point and rousing the person enough to get the breathing speeded up again. This happens over and over, so the person doesn't get into stages 3 and 4 sleep, which is where HGH is secreted most. So yes, there are lots of ways the methylation cycle block interferes with HGH secretion, in my opinion. It's another thing that will get fixed when the block is lifted.

(excerpt from Rich Van K)
    HGH= human growth hormone
  4. deliarose

deliarose New Member

with methylation in the title to see how others are doing with this protocol.

We are lucky enough to have Rich Van K on the board, guiding us thru this ...and he can explain thigns better than I.

Good luck
    Delia
  5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

antiviral therapy.. be it transfer factor or the drug variety.

It's not clear yet whether raising glutathione will kill off viruses that may have overwhelmed yr system .. if this is the case.

Rich talks about this in his posts.

Delia
  6. deliarose

deliarose New Member

i'm not that comfortable talking about the theory, but here's what I can tell u about my situation.

got CFS late 20s, had unrelenting fatigue and increasing cognitive problems.

had to quit 2 jobs, spent 3 years in bed (total) adn 10 years sick.

started recovering on supplements, and transfer factro.

Racing toward teh finish line on methyl supps. Off-the-charts improvement in one month.

Brain fog melting away, altho still slow at some tasks. Physically feeling great. Sugar Cravings receding dramatically. Came off sleep meds. Sleeping well. Stress melting away cos of less physical problems and confident of full recovery.

Folapro and Intrinsic B12. Those are teh biggies. I'd hate to see you waste your money.. but everythign is a gamble.

Paid off big time for me.

Be well
    Delia
  7. Katchina

Katchina New Member

thanks Delia,

you are brilliant and I will absorb.........