Katemac 329's Baby Shower...who wants to help?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by orachel, Oct 12, 2005.

1. orachel

orachel New Member

We've got a member Kate who recently posted about her wonderful bundle on the way, and lack of buddies due to her illness....we've all soooo been there, right?

We need to figure out a way to do this up right for her!

She deserves a celebration of her upcoming baby by her FMily....don't you all think?

I was thinking we could all arrange a time (obviously would have to work with time zone differences) to do a "virtual" shower for her in a chatroom...

Or we could just do it in a thread...that way everyone could honor Kate and her new kidlit on the way even if they can't make it at a specific time.

I'm thinking just a gathering of friends who offer anecdotes/stories/jokes about motherhood and childhood, but I'm sure someone else will be able to come up with some other fun stuff we can do online. Heck, we can probably even figure out a way to play an online baby shower game!

What does everyone think?? I'd love some ideas here, but hearing her distress over something that affects almost all of us. You know, a lack of big group of social buddies....often we're just too "sick and tired" to join in with our buddies in their reindeer games....at least I am...then you end up with a limited number of good buddies (except for ya'll!).

This wonderful woman is expecting her 1st child under some pretty trying conditions with health and family/friend situation....Help me come up with some ideas here, all! and lets get everyone who'd like to be involved. Sound ok?

Thanks for the support!
    Hugs to Kate...and all!
    Rachel

[This Message was Edited on 10/12/2005]
  2. ckk

ckk New Member

rachel i saw that too, i actually had another thought, the only problem is i didnt want her to know, so any ideas on how to tell you and others but keep it from her?
    ckk
  3. orachel

orachel New Member

but we could ask her to use "honor code" to stay out of this thread and plan details of it in here...How does that sound?

I've got some other ideas...but let me see if I can get her ok to keep her self out of here while we work on it so itll be somewhat of a surprise....Then we can talk specifics.

Great idea, CKK!!!

Also...

KEEP THIS BUMPED!!!!!!
  4. orachel

orachel New Member

Me and the other members would like to ask you on your "honor" to keep your lil nosie out of the post called....

Katemac 329's Baby Shower

Deal? No fun if you know what's going on ahead of time, right? We'll keep you into the loop as to the whens, but other than that, Just promise you won't go into that post, ok?

Please page me to the board when you read this and agree, so me and others can start "plotting".

Hope you feel better, darlin'!

Another thing a friend of mine did (again...old work friend...we barely speak now) when she was pregnant and going thru a ROUGH time in her marriage, job, and with health....

When she got bummed, she'd write a letter to her baby....for each birthday. What she imagined baby would be up to, that sort of thing. Then she had an amazing gift for her child each year, and brought her spirits WAY up!
    Give it a try...all it takes is some pretty stationary and an imagination.

And please let me know asap when you've read this and agree to our "terms", ok? LOL

Hugs,
    Rachel

Rachel
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I'm generally not to wordy,but I'll do what I can!Linda
  6. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

I love the idea as I mentioned before. The stories would be a good idea but didn't someone say they didn't have a child. Maybe they could tell a story from there own

childhood. I do have 1 favor. I am VERY NEW TO THE COMPUTER so maybe we could do it on a weekend when my computer whiz hubby is around to help me.

I will try to think of some games we can pay. By the way, I live on the east coast. OOPS! WEST COAST

Thanks,
    PIRT

7. jake123

jake123 New Member

I think we were thinking along the same lines!!!
  8. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I'll try to think (hard with my fog lately) of things we could do, etc. Will keep up with the thread.

Rachel, you are a doll for thinking this up!!!

L, Jeannette
  9. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

Rachel, you are wonderful. I had read her post and was thinking the same thing. It will be great for Kate and fun for us as well. I`ve got to put on my thinking cap but my brain is to foggy tonite.

Sandyz
  10. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

but this sounds like such a sweet and thoughtful gesture- It has to be so hard going through your first pregnancy alone... and with an illness. I will look for her other post; wondering if it says how far along she is, etc...

Maybe we could start a "baby pool" thread, separate from the one she has to "butt out of", with guesses about gender, weight, length, dates and time of birth... sort of an ongoing shower game.

Rachel, you are a doll- but you must hear that all the time! Great idea, and count me in- whatever I can do. I'm a Mama of three and wordy as all get out, so just say the word! (Okay, like me, I know you can't just say ONE word, but let me know!!!lol!)

Lollie
  11. orachel

orachel New Member

get! Its my understanding that she is married, and this is a wonderful exciting pregnancy for her.

Quite frankly, it wasn't exactly all altruistic on my part (very few things are I think LOL)...I just got to thinking what it would be like to have limited buddy list and deal with all the schtuff of a shower. These are rites of passage, and so important...but it really is a bummer when theres noone who you really "connect" with involved with it...kind of makes it sad. I know I felt that way about my bridal shower, and that was long before I became ill. To my knowledge, she hasn't "ok'd" our terms about staying out of here yet! lol...so lets wait to see if shes going to do that before we really get this going, so she can be as surprised at what goes on as possible...that's kinda the fun of it, right?

And as for the response about not having kids...I don't have kids either! LOL...I do have 3 wonderful stepchildren, but I've only been in their lives for 3 years, and unfortunately we see them only every other weekend due to distance. But anything really...funny story you remember from your own childhood, funny poem, etc...we'll come up with some really great ideas. I just wish there was a way that those of us who wanted to get her a gift could do so...I'll think about that, but really, I'm thinking just an overwhelming support of women (and men) whove been thru parenthood, or haven't, or want to in the future, or love the bejesus out of their grandbabies and see in hindsite that maybe they might have done something different...everyones got a funny "you'll never guess what so and so got stuck up his (fill in the blank!)" story, right?

But Lolliboo and others...I am also affected by the wretched brain fry....lets check back in tomorrow after some brainstorming on our own...there's gotta be a great way to pull this off. I wonder if there's a way to "import" wallpaper to these windows for some decor...we need a techie, definitely. But if Lollie thinks she's getting out of this one with her amazing ideas, she gots another think coming! lol

Other than that, just try to think of showers you've been to or heard about, and what worked and didn't...and try to think of if its possible to "contort" it to work in an internet setting. I've got a few ideas brewing, but nothing really blowing my socks off yet.

I'm so looking forward to this for all of us. How amazing it is to really have a celebration of life going on here....we're a pretty tough group who hang in thru some trials and tribulations, but not that often in my experience we get a real "celebration" going.

We should also think of something like this for Shirl once she's back and full force!

So, get creative juices flowing, but noone go into detail till we find out from the mommy to be if she'll keep out of this thread while we plan...if anyone else sees before me, let me know, ok?

Looking forward to tomorrow!
    Hugs to all!
    Rachel

Oh, and i think the idea about the "poll" on height weight haircolor, etc is a great idea...kind of a precurser to the whole thing!!!

Oh, and Pirtpain...I am the ultimate computer moron! LOL...seriously, about all I can do is type and send. We're not looking for technical help (though if any of you techies out there have any ideas that might make the forum more "festive" somehow (of course with moderators permission of course@!) that would be great!

We're just talking about general baby shower type ideas...nothing technical pirtpain...or I'd be left in the dust with you! LOL Just type and hit post message, which you're already doing pretty darn good at! Any other specific questions about how to use the board, feel free to ask!
  12. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

look for a to: Rachel (or Orachel) thread to you from kate- she answered, and said she agreed to avoid this thread...

Oh- I just saw your post... you saw it!!

so that's a full-on go!

So, ckk- what were you saying?
  13. orachel

orachel New Member

Excited...and her spirits are MUCH higher...so that is definitely the intended result!

Ckk...what was your idea hon? Also, I responded to another post for you..not sure if you saw it earlier, but please drop me a line when you get a chance. Glad (so glad!) to see you back in full force!

I'm thinking something about cultures....I know we have people from all different countries, ethnic groups, geographic ideas...we need to invite many many more people to participate first, and see if we can get some brainstorming going about if there are any other cultural ideas...things that may be common place to celebrate an impending birth elsewhere, but that we might not be familiar with. Also, Kate is from Alabama...so she's definitely a southern girl...

I'll check back later to see what's on everyone elses mind.

Oh, also, I told Kate we needed her schedule, obviously...even if we do it in normal "thread" format, we need to make sure that she's around when we "begin"....but I'm sure theres some techie geniuses who might be able to advise us of a better way to do this. I'd love to be able to do something with "decor", but clearly that's not really an option here...

I don't know if this is possible, but I knwo there are a ton of private chat forums available. Maybe I'll hunt around a bit tomorrow on the net and see if there's some sort of "party room" forum (sounds funny, huh?). I'm sure the moderators would let us use a "link" to the shower site under the circumstances, as long as it was monitored as well. We'll have to check that out...anyone who has any ideas along that line, lemme know. Also, I'm thinking we need at least a week or so to pull this together right, right? Lol...

Keep ideas coming. My thinker is officially thunked out for the night!

Thank you all so very very much for getting behind this idea! You can just tell she's already feeling better, which is incredible!

Oh, and did everyone see in her first post? She's finding out the sex of her baby tomorrow, and she'll let us know! Yeah!!!

Hugs (and inspiration!) to all,
    Rachel
  14. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

hormones all around!

Francie
  15. orachel

orachel New Member

I was wondering when you'd find your way in here....You'll be great at coming up with some ideas, I'm sure!

Hugs,
    Rachel
  16. Jana1

Jana1 New Member

Please include me...I love parties and get togethers. Maybe we can all eat some cake at the same time! lol Jana
  17. DLsGroovyMoM

DLsGroovyMoM New Member

I am sooo relateing to how Kate is feeling. I'm game for whatever you guys come up with.

Amy
  18. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

What do you, and others think about doing this in a thread instead of the chat room??!! I personally don't use the chat room, and I think it might be easier to get more people together here.

I read where you ( I think it was you) mentioned doing it either way, and I vote for here.

Kinsie
  19. Jo29

Jo29 New Member

But I don't know about having any ideas. I should let you younger ones do that. I can be one of the grandmas OK?

Also, I vote to keep it here. I don't do chat rooms well, but if you do it in a chat room I will try.

Jodi
  20. orachel

orachel New Member

I myself have a near impossible time keeping up in chatrooms! Speed of light in there! LOL

I wasn't thinking so much a chat room as a net party room...I know such things exist, and you can have guest list and everything so noone gets in from outside...but don't really know how they work. The best thing I was thinking about having it "offsite" if the moderators would let us post a "link" to the site of course, is that webpages can be "decorated" just like a room...really could be cute with baby "wallpaper" etc...confetti, that sort of thing. Rileyearl might know something about all this with her home based business. And goodness knows, I am not a Techie, at all...so for all I know might be possible to "decorate" our response boxes...

I'm just trying to think of ways to be as "real and tangible" for Kate as possible, but I know so little about any of this....anyone know specifically of any "techie" members we could invite here for some advice?

Now as for all worried about the chat room idea...was a Terrible idea on my part...noone would really be able to get a word in edgewise, esp Kate! But there might be an alternative that has the best of both worlds...thread type format, along with ability to make it "look" like a babyshower....who knows. But if we can't come up with a solution, we'll have to do it in thread format, of course...otherwise, there's no way everyone could participate all over the globe at the same time, and that's a bummer. At least with thread, we could have a "day and nightlong" celebration...with everyone adding to it as they were able.

But she is going out of town for a few days at least (to a SPA...just what she needs!), so we're looking at a week out at least, gives us much time to plan. Where's ckk? I'm dying to know her idea.

And JAKE123.....as to the combination of ideas of both threads. Wouldn't it be great if everyone kept posting little poems, thoughts, intentions thru this whole process on your thread, then somehow (maybe just ask kate to speak to her hubby in private for a moment) get him to print them out...maybe do something snazzy with colored paper or something...she's crafty...maybe she could even turn all of our "well wishes" for her baby into a mobile or something! That would be quite sweet. But definitely need to get her husband in on it initially, so he can print and start the process on her end....She could turn all of those beautiful intentions into something lovely for her baby, I'm sure.

ANY OTHER IDEAS...ESP GAMES, STUFF WE CAN PLAN ON INTERNET?
    I FIGURE WE'LL HAVE TO HAVE A "SCHEDULE" OR SOMETHING AS TO WHAT WE DO WHEN, SO THOSE OF US WHO HAVE VERY LIMITED TIME CAN HOP RIGHT IN AND GET TO PARTYING WITH KATE...AND KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON.

For some reason my creative juices aren't flowing right now. Will check back soon and see what else others have thought of.

Thanks to all for helping do this...Kate is really excited, you can just tell!
    Hugs to all,
    Rachel