Katrina Is On Her Way

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

By the time Katrina makes landfall, it may be a hurricane. It will likely hit near Miami and cross over FL and back out into the Gulf. We are right in the path, but since the storm will have to pass over land before it gets to us, it will likely have weakened a bit.

Everyone from LA to the FL Panhandle will have to be ready for when it makes landfall again after it crosses FL. It will likely be stronger after it travels over the warm Gulf water. The water at the beach here is 90 degrees.

The dark scud is already on our eastern horizon traveling from north to south as the storms outer bands get closer to us. It should hit the Miami area later this afternoon and hit here in the morning sometime.

We will likely just get a little wind and a lot of rainfall. For everyone else in Katrina's path, I wish you good luck. Stay safe.

Love, Mikie
  2. allie42

allie42 Guest

Hi Mikie:

I can see that it's coming. We're up the East Coast not far inland from Melbourne area. We've had rain bands and intermittant clouds since about 11:30. Very cloudy now. Guess this'll be one of those "rained out" weekends--shades of 2004!

Hang on down there Mikie! I'm very thankful it's not a cat 4 or 5 like we had last year.

Blessings,

Allie
  3. allie42

allie42 Guest

These storms when they make landfall are very bad. Many, Many people are not repaired from a year ago. Part of it is the fault of insurance companies dragging their feet, FEMA not living up to it's claims, and a real shortage of some materials even now. The bad thing is that the housing boom is eating into supplies for people needing repairs. For some reason unknown, except for plain greed, the big builders building big expensive homes are the ones given first dibbs on materials and supplies. It's a serious concern in the face of possible storms of that magnitude coming into the state between now and the end of November when the Atlantic returns to a safe temp.

There's lots to be chicken about. This current storm doesn't look too bad. Like Mikie points out, though, when it re-enters the gulf, it's anyone's guess what this Katie did will do! It seems like when they move slowly like this one is doing, they get VERY unpredictable.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We'll just batten down the hatches and hope for the best. As Allie said, some poor souls haven't been able to get the repairs done from Charlie or one of the other storms which caused so much damage. If we get a lot of rain and wind from Katrina, those with tarps still on their roofs will likely get hit bad by this rain.

I still have a little drywall damage inside which isn't fixed. Mostly, it was due to the insurance company, then the management company, then the inept repairmen the management company sent out (we refused to pay them), and now, I'm slowly doing it myself when I feel up to it. I've been too sick to work at it lately. I can't believe it's been a whole year and it's still not done. I'm not complaining; others are worse off.

Love, Mikie
  5. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Good luck to all in Katrina's path. I have two friends on the Gulf Coast and family in Panama City. Katrina is now a hurricane. :(

Sending prayers and love to all and hope you all will be safe.

Prayers for the creatures too. I feel bad the turtle eggs will be destroyed.

Love,
    Faye
  6. Megumi

Megumi New Member

I know what you are facing. I volunteer for the Red Cross and was down there last year for Ivan and then moved to Jeanne. Just returned a few weeks ago from Dennis. I can't come down for this one but will be working the Get Info line here in Indy. I know how some areas are still in bad shape from last year. Thank God this one is only a cat 1 but still.....

My thoughts and prayers are with you and all the folks in Katrina's path.
  7. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

i hate to hear about katrina florida has been hit too hard. we bought a condo in ft myers last month.we wont be living there full time for a while. i dont post often but i feel like i know you and appreciate all you advise maybe i could meet you in person sometime. please keep safe
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Lefty, perhaps we could arrange to meet somewhere when you come down. I would enjoy meeting you.

Katrina passed south of us. We may get the rain and wind as she slides up the coast. Nothing is certain at this point, but it looks as though the people in the Panhandle area could be hit again. Of course, she could take the turn at any point. Her path is being driven by a receding high and a trough. It all depends on how those systems move.

There are four people dead on the East Coast and winds got up to 95 mph despite its being just a Cat. I hurricane. It will likely increase in intensity as it gets out into the warm Gulf waters.

Everyone in her path is in my prayers.

Love, Mikie
  9. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

I'm about 40 miles west of Gainseville and right smack in the projected path of it crossing the state again.

Thank God this is a baby hurricane - if it hasn't turned back into a tropical storm. The news is just too much when it comes to reporting these things.

They actually said on the news last night "The wind is severe enough to be blowing the coconuts off the trees!"

We're still burning wood and trees from last summer. We had the tree guy come out and take down all the trees from around the house. If you're ever going to buy in Florida - don't buy anything with Water Oaks or Laurel Oaks near the house. The roots are shallow, the trees are very weak and they grow to 120 feet tall! which is HUGE compared to a 1 story house!

There is just nothing like the feeling of hanging out on the roof with a couple chainsaws, 75 mph winds and waterfalls flowing through your ceiling fans. Here we go again!

~michele
  10. allie42

allie42 Guest

Oh my, I surely know about the unfinished stuff inside!

We still have some stained drywall, too. I happens to be in my sewing room, so I just don't look at it! Like you, we're trying to do it ourselves, and it just takes time and strength.

Blessings! Hope you're o.k. down there. I know you guys got Lotsa wind and rain, but maybe it won't be too bad in the end.

Allice
  11. Lurlasgirl

Lurlasgirl New Member

I feel really fortunate, right now. I'm IN Florida, but on the east coast, near the central part of the state. All we really expect is some rain and maybe 20 mph winds - which isn't anything, really.

Of course, that's what we expected last year from Charley as well - and look what happened! It passed right over us!

They only finished repairing the roof of my condo last week ... the ceiling is stained in the living room, but at least the water won't come in, any longer!

Hopefully, things will go well for those poor people in the path of this storm!
  12. allie42

allie42 Guest

I had no idea! There are a lot more Floridians on this board than I realized. I surely hope this stupid storm either weakens (which I don't imagine is likely), or it steams off farther to the west. The truth is, none of us want ANYONE to have to deal with these things! They're survivable except in rare instances, but it surely is the most disturbing, disruptive of experiences! This one is moving too slowly to suit me. We thought we'd NEVER get through Frances last year--72 hours.

God bless. We'll pray for your safety!
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And gaining strength. I think everyone from about Longboat Key northward and along the Panhandle should take precautions. It could be a Cat. II or III by the time it makes landfall again.

The barometric pressure is rising here which means the storm has moved away from us. Marco Island is about as far nother as the outer bands reached as it crossed over the state. As it turns and heads up the coast, we may get some wind and rain from the other bands.

God bless everyone in her path.

Also, God bless all our European friends who are suffering from all the flooding there.

Love, Mikie