KATRINA VICTIMS - WHAT CAN WE DO TO HELP ??????????????????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Francey54, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Hi Dear Friends:

Couldn't sleep too well last night. I was thinking of all the people and animals that went through the trauma of Hurricane Katrina. The only half good thing I heard when I woke up was that it hit Louisiana as a Cat 4 instead of a Cat 5 and that it jogged a little east of New Orleans. Not much comfort for all the rest of the people in other parts of Louisina, Mississippi and Alabama.

I hope we have word from Shirl, Chocolat and any other of our dear friends from this board.

I live in the US Virgin Islands and hope that I will not see any hurricane pass this way. I was visiting friends in Puerto Rico in 1989 when Hurricane Hugo (Cat 4) hit. It was a very frightening experience and the destruction was widespread. I really feel we need to keep praying for this hurricane season to end with no more hurricanes.

My love and comfort to all who have suffered either directly or indirectly from the wraths of Hurricane Katrina.

If anyone has a story to tell about some friend or family who were in the grips of the hurricane and have communicated with you, please share.

Tender hugs,
    Francey

[This Message was Edited on 08/30/2005]
  2. Megumi

Megumi New Member

I am a Red Cross volunteer. Our chapter is part of the Call Center for the Get Info line. I have been taking calls since 8AM this morning.

The morning and early afternoon calls were horrific. Many were for people stranded in attics or clinging on roofs desperately needing rescuing. By afternoon the calls were coming more from people in other parts of the country desperate to reach their family members in the devastated areas where phones and cell phones were no longer functioning.

Although I still haven't seen a bit of news, just from the calls we received the damage is widespread and horrific. These people are all going to be homeless for a very very long time. Pensacola Florida, which already is suffering from a severe lack of housing from Ivan, is looking at having to possibly shelter 10's of thousands of people from the hit areas.

Many of the people that evacuated live normally paycheck to paycheck. They are now in strange places, with little money, no jobs and no homes to go back to.

Yes, not just the "hit" areas but all the areas surrounding them are in need of our prayers.
  3. Megumi

Megumi New Member

If ever there was an important message to get out it is not to panic over not hearing from loved ones in the storm areas. The phone lines are down, cell phone towers are out or at the very least overwhelmed by emergency personnel. After Ivan, it was a week and a half before we, emergency personnel, even had a semblance of service on either and, at best, that was iffy.

Most of the calls we got late this afternoon were from people trying to reach people. It IS very scary not to know what is happening. Unfortunately, it's a fact of life in these situations.

For those of you in the potential path of future storms or earthquakes, be aware that you will most likely be on your own for at LEAST a week before emergency personnel and supplies can get in there and up and running to any significance. Notify your distant family members ahead of time of this possibility. Let them know that YOU will contact them as soon as possible and that in the meantime you are taking every precaution to be safe.
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I hope thatthe loss of life due to Katrina does not become too great.Linda
  5. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

My Friends:

Eventhough we were not in the path of Katrina it is good to know that we at this site are thinking of all the living beings who were and who are suffering so much today, tomorrow and for some time to come. The scope and magnitude of this disaster has yet to be assessed. I pray for the dead too.

You are right Ace's Nana, we can not panic if we do not hear from our friends for some time. How true that with a calamity of this magnitude alot of people wil be on their own for who knows how long.

Megumi, I congratulate you for being a Red Cross volunteer, that is being so humanitarian. Keep up the good work.

GeorgiaC, I am glad your friends are OK in Mobile, Alabama.

God Bless.

Love and hugs,
    Francey
  6. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

My Dearest Friends:

I have been watching the news most of the day today and I am in such shock and disbelief as to what I have been witnessing. This is a diaster fo biblical proportion! Just when we thought that New Orleans was spared of the floods, the levees have been breached and the lakes have flooded homes and busineses for miles around. Also, the scope of destruction in Gulf Port and Biloxi, MS and surrounding areas is inconceivable.

God help all those poor souls who are sitting on top of their homes waiting to be rescued, help all those who no longer have homes and help all the helpless animals running loose, injured and frightened. I also pray for the dead.

You know, when you look at something like this, my pain and fatigue seem so small and so minor as to what all those people are going through as of yesterday and will be going through for a long time to come.

Eventhough I am so so far away, I wish that I could help in someway.

Tender hugs,

Francey
  7. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Been thinking of what I can do to help the devastated people of the Gulf Coast. Besides praying, I guess helping the American Red Cross and the Salvation Army is a good way by donating food, clothes, supplies and some money.

I haven't seen them on TV asking for help, nor supplying a special address or phone number. Have any of you?

If so please let me know.

Thanks.

Soft hugs,
    Francey
  8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I just typed in Salvation Army.com or org...it took me to the home page, and there I was able to donate using a credit card. The Red Cross is the same thing. On Fox News and others, I'm sure, they have been interviewing the heads of these organizations...they are mobilizing more than any other time in their history. The Red Cross is providing more help for this one event that all the hurricanes combined last year...and there were some biggies!

If you wanted to donate goods, probably getting in touch with your local chapters would be the best. They could tell you the procedure. Also, on TV they have been listing a 1-800 number for these organizations...don't know what they are, but you can find out.

Hope this helps...the Mississippi governor is calling this disaster "our tsunami." So horrible. This will take years to recover from. My mind cannot wrap itself around the scope of this disaster...no way.

Hugs to all and prayers for people in affected areas,
    Sue
  9. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear Sue:

Thanks for the info on the Salvation Army and Red Cross. I will go into their websites and donate on line.

I would like to send clothes and canned food so I guess I will look into my local chapter of the ARR and SA, maybe they will have a food and clothes drive.

I know what you mean about not being able to wrap the scope of this disaster in your mind. I too am shocked and dumbfounded.

If anyone else has ideas on how to help, please let me know.

Love and Hugs,

Francey
  10. fivesue

fivesue New Member

The Red Cross is saying to stay away! Can you imagine trying to evacuate EVERYONE in New Orleans and then having a bunch of rubberneck tourist coming to see what's happened? AAGH.

I also heard that the Red Cross does need people but they only take official volunteers who are trained by them to do specific jobs. No Drop-Ins at the scene. Guess it is best to contact the organization for any information...and stay out of their way in the devastated area.

Martial law declared...80% of New Orleans flooded...nothing left where the eye crossed land...oh my! Devastation beyond my comprehension. And, then, there were looters in a Winn-Dixie store taking everything they could grab in front of TV cameras and policemen...can you imagine?

Enough!

Sue
  11. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Glad the information helped. These organizations are going to need all the support they can get.

We live in a very giving nation...I'm glad. I'm glad we can give to help others. I'm glad we have many organizations that help throughout the world and we can give to those we choose. How fortunate a people we are to be so blessed. I'm sure many of the people affected in this disaster are very generous, kind people; it's their turn to get some help.

Blessings,
    Sue
  12. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

How very true Sue, this nation is full of very giving people and we will all respond to this calamidy. I hope the rest of the world will too.

What is really disturbing though is the looting. Disasters bring out the best in people but also the worst. I hope the law can get a grip on this because it is totally unacceptable.

I hear the situation in the Sportsdome is reaching boiling point with the 10,000 people who are in there. I hope that everyone can be evacuated so that FEMA, and all the charities can get in there and start working pronto!

We will keep far away from there so they can do their work, but will help in other ways.

Love,
    Francey

13. jaltair

jaltair New Member

Give to the Red Cross or the Salvation Army. Both have websites, and you can specify.

I just donated online via credit card to the Red Cross as I know they provide the majority of relief. It was easy.

Continue to pray . . it was a hard night for me as well as some of you, I couldn't release the needs from my mind.

Just pray and give!!!
  14. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

but whenever some nation in the world experiences a disaster of any type, the USA is always one of the first nations to offer humanitarian aid, usually in the billions.

When the situation is reversed, and WE have a disaster, how many nations step forward? Usually none. My thought is that we should cut off all federal aid to any nation that does not offer aid to us in our time of trouble. Private concerns would be welcome to continue their aid programs, but all funds would be taxed, with the tax money going to either support charitable aid in this country or to reduce the tax debt of low - middle income residents.

Kate
  15. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear Sam:

Thanks for making the call to others outside the US to help the huricane victims.

You and your husband in particular, thank you for making the sacrifice in donating whatever you can.

This is what it's all about everyone. Giving in times of need!!

God Bless.

Tender hugs,
    Francey
  16. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Hey Everyone:

Ace's Nana just informed that the LASPCA is asking for donations too. This money will help in caring for all the lost and injured pets. It breaks my heart to think of those defenseless little ones suffering just as much as all the people with the added stress of not understanding what is happening.

Hugs,

Francey
  17. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

From watching what happened during last December's tsunami in Asia, I saw that, initially, everyone donated generously. What's happening over there now? You don't hear a word.

Enough people will donate money, food items, etc. for the immediate disaster. What I think I'm going to do is continue to watch the situation and give my donations later when the media has gotten bored with the reconstruction effort and has turned its focus elsewhere.

Am I wrong?
  18. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear Aberlaine:

No you are not wrong. Everyone should do what they feel is best. If you want to give later on as you say when the media loses interest by all means do so. There will be a need for assistance for a very long time.

God Bless.

Francey
  19. Geechie

Geechie New Member

I'm new here, I intro'd myself last week.

I had quite an experience with Hugo myself, we live in Charleston, SC. It cut a wide path from where you were, through here and on up through the mountains. Seemed like it was never going to quit.

I'm very worried about some friends in New Orleans, the news tonight does not sound good. All these people are in my prayers as well.
  20. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Hi geechie:

If I didn't say welcome to you last week, I say it now. Glad you are with us. You will not find a more caring group of people than here.

I see we share something in common, Hurricane Hugo. It was pretty bad in Puerto Rico but I remember it was just as bad if not worse in Charleston, NC.

I understand your concern and fear for your friends in New Orleans. Do you have any idea if they left or if they decided to stay?

Everyone here on this board is praying for all the victims, so if you find out anything about your friends, please let me know.

God Bless.

Soft hugs,
    Francey