Kava Kava and Klonapin side effecs?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fmfriend, Apr 21, 2007.

1. fmfriend

fmfriend Member

Ive read here that there are some side afects from taking kava kava and klonapin but it is scattered in differant posts. I would like to know as Im sure others would..

#1 What are the dangerous side effects if any?
    #2 At what dosesages are there side effects?
    #3 How many here take it?
    #4 What purose are you taking it and what time of day?
    #5 does it help?

I have a combination called Tension Tamer by Celestial Seaonings. It is combined with

vit. c 300mg
    magnsium 500mg
    vit B 12 mcg
    kava kava extract 200mg
    chamomle extract 200mg
    St Johns wort extract 100mg

Dosage is two capsules a day
    I thoght it may help with sleep at night which is why I bought it and for anxiety and tension during the day.

Thank so much for your help its really appreciated.
    blessing~ Sally
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi Sally,

The combination of kava kava and any kind of pharmaceutical tranquilizer can cause coma or death.

I was under the impression that this was very rare, but a while back there was an apparently very credible member of the board who had had a cousin die from the mixture.

I don't know the amounts that are required. CFS patients tend to be very sensitive to drugs, and so the amount that could cause problems could be much lower for those with the disease than for others.

This mixture thus seems to me something to be avoided.

Best, Lisa
  3. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I just asked ABOUT this herb at the Health Food Store today in my city. Kava Kava is banned here in Canada. I think prolonged use can cause liver problems. Sounds like it helps to relax the muscles.