Kava, safe for use as a sleep aid?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ceceliaskye, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Ceceliaskye

Ceceliaskye New Member

Hey everyone... I have used the herb kava occasionally as a sleep aid. It seems to really help me relax. I recently read something about kava being banned in countries such as germany, Great Britain and Canada. Here in the U.S. it is still being sold all over the place. I am now a bit nervous about taking it. Does anyone have any info on this?
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Cecelia, welcome to the board. I don't know what to tell you about the Kava Kava, I just looked it up in the Pro Health catalog, I did notice that it says not to take daily for more than 4 weeks, also not to take if you have liver problems, or for those who consume alcohol, or take liver-affecting drugs.

Its a plant that grows in the Pacific Islands, and I do know if you take too much of it, it can turn your skin yellow! My husband worked with men from the Philippine Islands and they had told him that those who took large quanities of it, turned yellow. No doubt the liver connection.

I take ZMA for deep sleep, its; zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6. But you need to take it for 10 days for it to be effective. I have been taking ZMA now for 17 months and I sleep great. I have Fibromyalgia, and sleep is one of our worst problems.

Hope you get additional information on the Kava Kava.

You could also try Valerian, also a herb that is great for sleep. All three of the above are sold here at Pro Health. Just go to the 'Store' link, and you can read about them all.

Shalom, Shirl

3. Jen F

Jen F New Member

He finds it of great benefit, so has chosen to continue using it on occasion.

He has used it a few times and he's not dead.

I guess that's all I can say about it!

Except for, ever notice how a lot of the herbs that really do work well, have strong effectiveness get taken off the market?? I think that in part it is for our safety, but I also think that the effective herbs/alternatives cut into the drug companies' market share. So, I don't necessarily conclude that something no longer on the market is dangerous in reasonable doses.

That's my 2 cents
  4. sofy

sofy New Member

Kava can cause liver damage they say but then so can most of the prescription drugs. Is one better or worse to take. Who knows. I think the key her is the word ocassionally and ask your doctor to check your liver on a regular basis. Sleep deprivation can cause all sorts of awful health problems and lead to a premature death so if kava helps you get a good night sleep then you have to weigh the odds. Its the old risk-reward thing. Most things in life involve risk but the trick is to pick those things that give us ample rewards to make the small risk worth taking.
    I have recently been trying the brain wave cd for sleep and relaxation and finding them useful.
    Have a good night!!!!!!!!
  5. AmyKaiser

AmyKaiser New Member

kava kava is an anti anxiety herb that is dangerious for anyone with depressive disorders or tendencies