KCH64.....The pain is driving me to tears....HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by EgyptStarr, Nov 28, 2005.

1. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

EDITED...... KCH64..... PLEASE SCROLL DOWN!!!

I have never had migraine headaches, so I don't know how they feel, but for the past 4 days I have been waking up with SEVERE headaches. Then ALL NIGHT last night, I couldn't sleep because I was in so much pain! I finally went to bed at 7:40 this morning and CRIED myself to sleep, out of pain and sheer exhaustion, knowing that my 3-yr-old would be getting up at any time.

I got to sleep for maybe one hour when she woke me up. The headache was gone and I stayed up for a little bit, then talked her into staying in her room and watching TV while I went back to sleep on the couch. I'm lucky she didn't get into too much while I rested, and she only woke me up a few times for snacks. :)

Anyway, these headaches are unbelievable. And the pain in my neck is directly related to it; I can tell by the pain. It goes up the back of my neck on both sides and fills my whole head. And it burns. I think there's a pinched nerve or two somewhere in my neck; that's what it feels like. But I've had those before and this is MUCH worse!

I have been taking 800 mg ibuprofen, muscle relaxers and 3 Excedrin, 3-4 times a day, ALL at the SAME TIME, and it's not affecting the pain AT ALL!!! I might as well be popping M&M's; I'd get the same results!

I think it's also affecting my memory, which has become REALLY bad lately, my vision is getting increasingly blurry, and my concentration is SHOT. I also used to be the most organized person I know, and that's gone. My desk looks like a paper factory exploded on it and I can't find anything. Needless to say, depression is setting in here.

I've called my doctor's office and left a message explaining what's going on and asked them to call me back ASAP. He's going to have to refer me for an MRI, cat scan, or SOMETHING! Treating the pain is not working; I need them to address the CAUSE! He is usually so swamped with patients, however, that getting in to see him right away is next to impossible.

They had better not tell me to go to the ER...... what good would that do? They would just give me more drugs that either won't work, or will knock me out and make me unable to take care of my daughter!

Anyone else ever go through this and/or have any ideas what could be going on and how I can get some kind of relief?

Thanks for listening!

Hugs!
    Starr
    [This Message was Edited on 11/30/2005]
  2. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time!! I'm worried about your stomach with all that stuff you're taking. Given that it is not helping, I would recommend going to something prescription strength - you could take much less and maybe get a little more relief. I too get the headaches that come from my neck pain - I have a headache all the time in fact. Sometimes it is better than others though. Heat, streching, TENS & massage help me most, in addition to medications. I'm not sure what kind of pain meds you have tried, but I find most keep me awake, rather than making me sleepy but everyone is different. I hope you can see your doctor soon!!

Take care,
    Leanne
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

I can sympathize with you because I get headaches several times a week and I know alot of them start in my neck - and headaches make you MISERABLE

I LIVE on Excedrin

You are right to call the doctor and hopefully they will be able to see what is causing the headaches

I know alot of people benefit from antidepressants for headaches like Elavil _ just a thought

Good luck
  4. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

The ibuprofen I'm taking is prescription strength; it's 800 mg, whereas over-the-counter is 200 mg. No difference otherwise, though. Anyone can buy regular ibupfofen and take 4 of them. I also have baclofen 10 mg, a muscle relaxer, although I don't think a muscle relaxer is going to affect this in any way. I just take it because I figure if there's the slightest chance...... I mean, if nothing else, maybe it will help ME relax, because, of course, if the pain is so bad it has me all tensed up, maybe the muscle relaxers are at least helping that, you know? Maybe I would feel WORSE if I wasn't taking all this stuff!

Then I also take 3 Excedrin. I take all 3 meds at the same time, figuring that I'll stand a better chance of relief that way. I'm afraid to stop taking the stuff, because like I said, how do I know that avoiding the drugs won't make the pain worse??? Maybe it's going to hurt anyway, but without the drugs, it would be even more unbearable?

Anyway, thanks again!

Hugs!
    Starr
  5. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Yes, I also take Wellbutrin twice a day, which is an antidepressant. I just didn't mention it before because I didn't realize that it would effect this in any way.

Hugs!
    Starr
  6. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Starr,
    I'm so sorry about the headaches. That kind of constant pain can make you crazy.
    First of all, if these are a new type of headache and they are severe as you describe, you need to see a Doctor soon. They most likely are for, tight muscles in your neck but it could be something else. Ruling out other things would be one of the things they should do for you in ER.
    I agree that you need to get some stronger meds. One thing that helps me a lot is massage and heat, as has been suggested. Can you get a massage? Also, perhaps a chiropractor after you have ruled out anything else.
    I hope you can get in touch with your Doctor soon.

Kathy.
  7. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Hi there,

You should go to the doc and get checked. I had a headache that was so horrible that I was pulling my hair out. I ended up having viral meningitis. They can tell if there is an issue with a blood test.

Get checked and I hope the pain gets better.

-Kathi
  8. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

I was having this pain over a month ago when I saw my doc. I also have 2 lumps in my neck; one on the right side just below my ear and the other in the back, just to the right of my spine.

When my doc checked me out he said that the headaches and neck pain are probably just from tight muscles, which is what he thinks the lumps may be. That's when he prescribed the 800 mg Ibuprofen and the muscle relaxer.

But the lumps are still there, over a month later, and the pain has become MUCH worse! Before, the pain was annoying and a real nuisance. Now, it's unbearable!

I will try the heat and see if I can talk my fiance' into a neck and shoulder massage.

Thanks again!

Hugs!
    Starr
    [This Message was Edited on 11/28/2005]
  9. suzetal

suzetal New Member

He had terrible migraines all the time.

We used to put a hot ( hot as you can stand it)on the back of his neck for 5 minutes.Then we would switch it to very cold. Went from hot to cold every 5 minutes till it went away.It took about 20 minutes for it to go away.We used a wash cloth.

But please get it checked as soon as possible.

Hope you can get some relief.

Hugs
    Sue

10. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

Hi Starr so sorry about the headache. It does sound like you have a tension headache that brought on a migraine headache. I have daily headaches, but also suffer from tension & migraine headaches. What happens with me sounds similar to what you've explained. I use Imitrex injections when everything else doesn't work. I pack my head in ice where ever it hurts, I use a heating pad on my neck, the ice shrinks the vessels in your head that swell & cause the headache, the heating pad helps relax the muscles in your neck. When you feel a bit better don't take anymore ibuprofin or excederin, taking this stuff the way you are will cause you rebound headaches, continue the muscle relaxer this is good for your neck. But you need time to lay down, & relax, put yourself in a very dark cool(not cold) room, lay in a position that it doesn't hurt so bad. And go to sleep!! Sleep is the best thing for any headache, maybe a friend or family member can help you with your little girl, the headache won't go away if you don't sleep & relax! I hope it goes away I feel for you, just thinking about the migraine pain scares me!!!
  11. jake123

jake123 New Member

I agree, is there anyway you can get someone to babysit your child for one day? I think you need to go to the ER. When it gets that bad I think you need to whack that pain cycle across its knees and put it out. Then have some glorious sleep.
  12. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

My fiance' will be off work Wednesday, so I will give my Doctor's office until close of business tomorrow, then if I have not gotten anywhere with them, I will go to the ER as soon as my Sweetheart gets home from work. He will be home all day Wed. and Thursday to help me with our daughter, or whatever else I may need.

Uh-oh..... wait...... should he drive me? I mean, are they going to give me something that will knock me out? He will have our daughter in tow, and we live 20 minutes outside of town. And the ER I will have to go to always takes HOURS to get through. I wouldn't want him to have to wait with her, but I hate to have to call him to come back and get me. Oh well. I guess we'll do what we gotta do.

Thanks again!
    Hugs!
    Starr
  13. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

... for the great info! I may check into some of those herbal pillows you mentioned.

I've been drinking milk all evening (which helps make me drowsy), and I plan to heat up my bed buddy and lay with it behind my neck, with a cold washcloth on my forehead. I will also take my muscle relaxer and somehow sweet-talk my Sweetie into a neck and shoulder massage.

I'll take an extra-warm shower before bed, too. Put on my favorite flannel pj's and I should be ready to lapse into a coma........ lol.

As long as the pain doesn't get any worse than it is right now. At this particular minute, it's not too bad.

Thanks again!
    Hugs!
    Starr
    [This Message was Edited on 11/28/2005]
  14. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Migraine can develop in FM, you should try to find out if it has. Maybe it's high BP. Sometimes you can't tell if the BP goes up. I had the same neck pain that triggered migraines. I don't know how it's diagnosed now'adays though, mine was diagnosed when I was 3. If it IS migraines it needs to be treated, since it can increase risk of stroke. I don't want to be alarmist, but I want you to be safe and get a diagnosis. It is HARD to take care of a child when you have this sort of stuff! My heart goes out to you! I really hope you will go and find out what's going on.
  15. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Well, I got about 5 or 6 hours of sleep last night. My headache is much better today.... just barely there, in fact!

I am still going to try to get in to see my doc, but if the headache doesn't get too bad again, I may not go to the ER. I have an appt. with my doc already scheduled for Dec. 15th. If I can get it moved up, that'll be great, but if not, I will wait until the 15th, if the headaches don't get too unbearable again. If they do, I'll go to the ER.

I have a job interview for a part-time Human Resources Assistant at a bank at 10 am tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

Thanks again to everyone who responded! I REALLY appreciate you all and you gave me some great ideas that I'm convinced are what helped me sleep last night! I fell asleep with my heated Bed Buddy wrapped around the back of my neck last night, after drinking a few glasses of milk, taking my muscle relaxers and a very warm shower..... AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Hugs!
    Starr

16. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

Thank you for that info! I'll keep that in mind if my doc or an ER doc tries to tell me I have migraines. I don't know if migraines have a tendency to run in families or anything, but I don't even KNOW anyone with migraines.

Thanks again!
    Hugs!
    Starr
  17. kch64

kch64 New Member

I'll keep you in my prayers. Don't wait.. get to the ER. It could be an anuerysm. Not to scare you, but I had a friend that had one and she said she had a terrible headache.

I HAD a friend. She died as a result. Don't wait.
  18. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

My headache has eased up a LOT.... it's just barely there now. It's been REALLY mild like this for 2-3 days now. Did your friend's headache ease up like this? I mean, should I still be concerned? Or don't you think I can wait until the 15th, when I already have an appt. with my doc?

Thanks for this info! Yes, it's a VERY scary thought, and I want to be safe, but don't want to go to the ER and spend HOURS there when it could just be from tension, like a few others have suggested. Besides, if it's something minor, like tension or something, I don't want to look like a big baby! lol
    Especially when I would show up there saying, "Excuse me, but I'm here because I had an excrutiating headache 2-3 days ago, although it's not bad at all now......." lol

Thanks again!
    Hugs!
    Starr

19. kch64

kch64 New Member

Well if it's eased up, then you're probably o.k. but If you start feeling sicker, then get your but to the ER O.K.??

It's better to look like a baby and be safe. I know, it's hard to go to the ER. I don't like it either (smile).

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better. You're in my prayers still.

Oh, and to answer your question, no hers didn't ease up. She actually passed at home. She laid down because the pain was so bad, and never woke up. I'm sorry if this is scaring you, that's not my intent. I'm just telling you what happened to her. It's probably just a bad headache. They can really make you feel like you want to take your head off for awhile and set it aside (smile).

Thanks for the update and I'll be watching for the news.

Hugs to you too.
    Kendra
  20. EgyptStarr

EgyptStarr New Member

I will definitely keep you (and everyone else here, of course) posted on what I find out from my doc on the 15th, as well as the results of any tests that I get.

I'm watching it carefully; taking my muscle relaxers (and all my other meds) like a "good little girl", wearing my heated-up bed buddy as much as I can in the evenings before bed, and just basically doing everything else I can think of to help me relax at night. I'm sleeping a little more, consequently, which I'm sure is another thing that's helping, like a couple of people suggested before.

Thank you, Everyone for the prayers! That means A LOT to me! I'm a HUGE believer in the power of prayer! God must be listening to you all, too, since I would never have believed that just the few little things I've done differently in the past couple of days would have made such a HUGE difference! Only God could be responsible for a change THIS big in just a few days!

By the way, Kendra.......... I LOVE your name! I had a friend in high school named Kendra....... it's SO pretty....... it's one of my favorite names, honestly!

Hugs!
    Starr