Keep falling asleep -

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by emah, Apr 29, 2015.

1. emah

emah Member

About a month ago I started on the fentanyl patch, first the dosage was 25, then 50 and now I am on 100. What has been happening lately is I am constantly falling asleep. This from a person who could never get any sleep. My energy is so low. I still have difficulty understanding how fibromyalgia makes any sense. Maybe I'm in denial but I just don't get it. Its like it came out of no where. Now I have zero energy for the most part, everything bores me, and I just don't feel good but I don't feel sick. I dont know if this makes sense to anyone. I am also taking care of a stroke victim, who thankfully, is getting better daily, but this person use to be my care giver. I am just tired of being tired and tired of doctors and wonder what is the point any more. One thing for sure is they cannot fix this. Could any of this be a side effect of the fentanyl?
  2. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Active Member

@emah Hi- Sleepiness and drowsiness are definitely side effects of fentanyl. Fibromyalgia really doesn't make sense to most people, because it is such a complex and complicated illness with what appears to be no clear cut single cause.

I don't think you are in denial about understanding it. It is very, very difficult to understand it. Please know that what you are experiencing is very real and has a physical cause. Sometimes it does "just come out of nowhere" so it seems.

My experience tells me that there were things happening in your body on a cellular level before you got sick, that caused your illness. You wrote-
    This makes perfect sense to me. I have experienced many days feeling those very same feelings. I think some of what you are experiencing may very well be the fentanyl. You might want to talk to your doctor about either lowering the dosage or switching to a different medication.

I use to take morphine for fibromyalgia pain and drowsiness and tiredness were definite side effects for me and fentanyl is much stronger than morphine. Most regular doctors do not understand fibromyalgia very well at all.

A "functional medicine" doctor is probably the best doctor to see if you can, one that treats people with fibromyalgia. They look for and treat the root causes of illnesses, rather than just treating the symptoms. There are people that can help you improve your health. Jim