Keeping a Journal

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tedebear, Oct 10, 2002.

1. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Does anyone keep a Journal. I do. Everyday, 24hr. activities/successes, disappointments, etc... It helps to review on a weekly basis what I accomplish with FMS and what I cannot accomplish, how long a task takes, pain associated with it, etc... Anyone else do this?
  2. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Does anyone keep a Journal. I do. Everyday, 24hr. activities/successes, disappointments, etc... It helps to review on a weekly basis what I accomplish with FMS and what I cannot accomplish, how long a task takes, pain associated with it, etc... Anyone else do this?
  3. tonijo

tonijo New Member

Yes i to keep a journal. I found it helps when I go to the doctor. I sometimes dont remember like I use to. Also it helps me keep focased on what I need to do. Also I dont spell as well as I used to.:)
    tonijo
  4. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

for several years and all medical records, films, etc. I guess it's a daily diary but, full of all the stuff we need to keep track of. Good and bad.

Welcome, Kim and Gary
  5. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I've been keeping a health diary or journal for the past 2 years. I've written on legal pads ever since my inital pain with my left leg (incorrectly diagnosed as sciatica). Several times a day I note my mood swings, sleeping habits, eating & drinking intake, medications taken, basic bodily functions, where I am in my menstrual cycle, what the weather's like, where I have my pains & how long they last, if I exercised, if I did any work, etc.

It's vital for me to track my illness, note any patterns & identify any improvements.

The one constant is how bad my handwriting becomes when I am in severe pain. I'm sure I'd miss out on that if I did a computer journal.

best thoughts,
  6. Vamp

Vamp New Member

When I was diagnosed the doctors encouraged me to journal all my daily symptoms, etc. etc. They seemed rather persistant on the issue. After doing some reading about CFIDS, I told them NO - I feel I am already a "guinni pig" and I refuse to write it all down for them so they can analyze me at time of death. There is one doctor in this large metro area that does all deaths of CFIDS patients - someone help me, title of - the one who analyzes and determines your "reason for death".
    Sorry all, Just not for me!!!!!

Vamp
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2002]
  7. fibolady

fibolady New Member

i know it has helped many deal, but for me it was just too depressing. plus i would just get stressed trying to figure out what exactly was the correct level of my symptons, umm an 8 or 9 or 5.

how about crummy (nice word for sh---y) for everything! it seems symptons change without warning, sometimes there are factors that might contribute to the problem, but sometimes they just come out of the blue. so no, journaling did not help me.

i know the weather affects me, so don't have to journal there. food diary is a really good idea. that is something you can pinpoint a problem.

there was a topic on this before and a Daily Pain Diary Worksheet you can pull up at geocities.com. might still be there or try the search.

warm regards, fibolady
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Because I am under therapy right now to try to reclaim my wellness, I use my journal to enhance my therapy. I also use it as a Gratitude Journal to ensure that I find simple things for which to give thanks each day.

If I'm having a particular problem with my health, I mention it, but I could never keep a "symptoms" journal as I would feel it just emphasizes the negative. However, if I were trying to find a pattern of problems, like food allergies, I would do one for that purpose.

Love, Mikie