Ken 6 Glaciers Tea House

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pumpkinpatch, May 7, 2007.

1. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Ken:
    Wanted to ask you if you have have hiked to the 6 Glacier Tea Room near Lake Louise. I saw a program last week on PBS featuring this beautiful trail and didn't even know about it and I'm in Calgary. Apparently you take the trail at the Lake Louise Hotel and venture up the trail. THe Tea House in in between the 6 glaciers! Must be spectacular scenery.

Cindy
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

You live in Calgary? I'm totally envious of anyone who lives in Calgary because of how close you are to Banff and the Icefields Parkway.

I like your picture!

I was in the Canadian Rockies in July of 2002. I was on a teachers' program in Bellingham, and over a five-day weekend, I decided I had to drive over to see the Icefields Parkway. I visited Lake Louise, but I didn't do the hike to the Tea House. That hike looks extremely beautiful. Maybe some day!

Let's see, I first visited Yoho National Park , where I did a short walk at Emerald Lake, which is exquisite. If you're looking for a short, peaceful hike at a beautiful lake, with far fewer people than Lake Louise, Emerald Lake in Yoho is well worth it. Takkakaw Falls is another incredible sight in Yoho. The walk is very short, and you can see the falls from the parking area. I heard the drive back to Lake O'Hara (about ten miles on a dirt road) is beautiful. I think all of this is about 45 minutes northwest of Banff.

In Banff, I rode the chair lift to the top of the mountain, and walked out on the boardwalk to the highest point for a spectacular view. I did a scenic loop drive southeast of Banff, but I don't remember the name of it. I also just hung around the famous hotel, river, and golf course.

After stopping at Lake Louise, I drove north to Jasper, and did numerous short hikes to waterfalls, scenic overlooks, and slot canyons along the way. The overlook of Peyto Lake was one of my favorites. I camped across from the Columbia Icefield, and nearly froze to death. Oh, I did a spectacular short hike to Angel Glacier and a lake at the foot of Mount Edith Cavell, near Jasper. That hike was stunning. I rode the lift to the top of the mountain in Jasper, and I hiked along the top of the peaks there. The last hike I did was along the trail just south of Mount Robson, the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies.

Needless to say, all of this was when I was in shape and before I became disabled with CFS!

Are you able to get into the mountains on occasion? Your corner of the world is extremely beautiful.

Ken
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2007]
  3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Are you sure that is your son and not your husband??? I know life in Canada is more relaxed, but unless you were 10 yrs old when you had him.. I don't believe you are old enough to have such a good looking son that old!

I saw something a few months ago on PBS or Discover channel about Lake Louise. I'd just dismissed it because I only have eyes for Toronto. But after reading this post, I just might look into a vacation.

budmickl
  4. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Wow, I'm going to check out those hikes. We've only been in Calgary for 3 years. This is our first time West and still have lots to see. We've driven to Jasper and stayed the weekend. And Ken you are right about the scenery and the Falls. The trip from Calgary to Jasper is AWESOME. Every corner we went around I wanted to stop and take pictures. Going to check out the Tea House first.

Bud: Yes that is my oldest son Jed. He is getting married this summer. I'm THAT OLD!!! Thanks for the compliment. Must be that fresh Canadian Air plus a little genetics. My mother is very young looking.

Thanks again for your replies
    Cindy
    Calgary
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Have to agree about your picture!

I'll bet there's still snow in a lot of those areas, but when it melts and warms up, I hope you get to do a lot of exploring up there. Maybe you'll get a chance to stay in one of those beautiful lodges or hotels, too!

When you make it to the Tea House, how about taking a picture and then posting it on here?

Ken
    [This Message was Edited on 05/07/2007]
  6. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I will definitely take some pictures at the Tea House. I think they open the end of June for the summer months. On the PBS program they were interviewing the same family who have run the Tea House since the 60's! The mother does all the baking and the girls are the waitresses. Hope the incline isn't too steep to get up there. They will have to tow me up!!! ha

Cindy
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I think I did see that PBS program showing the mother and daughter who run it. Wasn't it about great lodges of the Canadian Rockies, or something like that? I remember them pointing out the six glaciers.

It looks like quite a climb up there!

Ken
  8. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Yes that was the same program. Great lodges of Canada. Did you see the Atabashsca wilderness adventure with the little cabins? and the part about the Banff Springs and all the well to do in the early years visiting. It was a very interesting program. Wish I taped it.

It was very scenic here with the Rockies. My sons love the snowboarding. The other drawback that I can see in Calgary is NO WATER AND BEACHES in the summer so I fly back to our cottage near the Canadian capital. I need water in the summer.

Cindy