Ken H

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Jan 3, 2007.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hey! What's all this about getting married last year? I don't remember anything about that.

Why on St. Pat's day? Is Wendy Irish? Are you? (I'm Norwegian and Irish and things too fierce to mention.)

Any relevant pics to post?
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Wendy and I met at a St. Patrick's Day party in 2004, held by mutual friends. Wendy is not Irish, but I have a lot of Irish in me, mixed with English and French.

We also love Celtic music and culture, so St. Patrick's Day seemed to be a logical choice. We got married in a small, outdoor ceremony up in the foothills of the Sandia Mountains, with a small gathering of good friends in attendance. We had green streamers on the pinon and yucca, and a friend played Irish jigs and airs on his fiddle.

One advantage of getting married on St. Patrick's Day is I likely won't forgot our anniversary.

I'm exceedingly lucky to have her; she takes great care of me.

I'll have to look for a picture.

3. rockgor

If you're talking where your spouse can here you'd better phrase it this way:

Thank goodness I'll never forget St. Pat's Day. It's the same as our anniversary. Haha

Me great great grandfather come from the Old Sod. Must be why I like Celtic music so much. Got hundreds of albums, tapes and CD.

You ever hear Mary O'Hara? The Irish singer who became a nun who became a singer? Married an American poet who died very young. Made recordings in both English and Gaelic.

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I have heard of Mary O'Hara, but I haven't heard any of her songs, I don't think. Didn't a Mary O'Hara write My Friend Flicka? My father named me after the boy in that book (I was also named after an uncle).

I wonder if your great-grandfather spoke or understood Gaelic.

Do you listen to NPR? There's a great show on once a week, called "The Thistle and Shimrock." It's hosted by a Scottish woman named Fiona Richie, who plays traditional and modern music from Ireland and Scotland.

There are a lot of great Irish and Scottish contemporary singers, too: Karan Casey, June Tabor, Mary Black, Kate Rusby.
  5. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Mary O'Hara had quite the life story. Kind of reminds me of Le Soeur Sourire--The Singing Nun.

Just remembered another exquisite Scottish vocalist of the older generation: Jean Redpath. I couldn't remember her name last night.
  6. rockgor

Mary O'Hara, the singer which I read a few years ago.

Some decades ago I read a book by Mary O'Hara, the writer of My Friend Flicka. "Flicka" was originally a short story. Then reprinted in the Readers' Digest. Then expanded into a novel.

Then made into a movie. I 'spect Andrew Lloyd Webber will do something w/ it soon.

Just put some books on reserve at the library. One of them by Liam Clancy of the Clancy brothers.

"And Ireland long a province be a Nation Once Again!"

[This Message was Edited on 01/06/2007]