Ken Holmes, Rockgor, book club

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I have to tell you about Allan Isler's, The Prince of West End Avenue - I dont normally 'rave' about books but this is an exception.

Very intelligent piece of writing, witty and funny, sad and serious, it is full of little gems.

This is one book I will read again and I've rarely re-read a book.

If you read it, let me know what you think.

2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hi Rosie,

Can you tell us a little about the story? I love hearing about new books!

I thought The Road by Cormac McCarthy would be a good one for the Book Club to read too.

[This Message was Edited on 06/07/2007]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

My computer and the library computer are no longer on speaking terms. Therefore I e mailed Gordon at his office, and he will put Prince of WEA on hold for me.

Hi Marta. Will also investigate The Road.

You cat lovers should have been here last night. I was putting out cat kibble. Had 7 feral cats on one large skunk.

There is also a smaller skunk named Rainbow by Gordon. Last week I opened the door and there was Rainbow about 2 feet away. I stood still. He ambled over and sniffed my shoes. I gentle closed the door.

Good thing skunks are phlegmatic.

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Sounds very good.

What's it about? I just checked with my library and they don't have it yet, but I'll get it through interlibrary loan (costs me $1 for the service).

Maybe we should read this one next month for Book Club.

I'm just starting Rococo today.

5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

The story is about an old guy in an upmarket Jewish old people's home in New York and the characters living there. They are putting on a Shakespeare play and there's lots of quarreling, romance etc.
    He also goes back to his past.

Sounds boring but its not and it is SO well written, I'm not putting it forward for the book club just wanted to share this little gem.

Will check out The Road, Marta. Six grandchildre, you're very lucky. I love what you said in your profile 'learning to live the life that I have instead of the one I'd planned'.

Rock, my goodness, skunks are so beautiful, we dont have them over here and I know they spray but imagine the little one coming right up to you - pet skunks. And you and Gordon are so good taking care of the little kitties, I bet you get a lot of pleasure from them.

We are having a very sunny spell here, thank goodness, at last, Rock and Ken, you are lucky to bask in continual sunshine.

I thought I had ordered Rococo and Poo from Amazon but it didnt go through, obviously pressed the wrong button when I was supposed to pay but they have it in my library, but not Poo.

[This Message was Edited on 06/09/2007][This Message was Edited on 06/09/2007]
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Rosie: I put The Prince of West End Avenue on hold. I'll definitely be reading this one.

No skunks in Scotland? I'll try to send more sunshine your way. We do have lots of that in New Mexico. Enough that lots of people get skin cancer from it. But the vitamin D is supposed to be very good for you.

Everything in moderation, I guess (including moderation).

Molly: I'm enjoying Rococo so far (though I've only read one chapter). It's very lively, funny, and colorful.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/09/2007]