Ken Il Postino

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Hi Ken

watched a brilliant film last night, Italian with sub titled, based on a true story - about Metaphors. I think you'd like it, maybe you've even seen it.

Il Postino is a beautiful story about Mario, a poor Italian fisherman who becomes a postman. His job is to deliver mail to the famous Chilean poet, Pablo Neruda, who has been exiled to this island from Chile, because of his Communist beliefs. The kindly poet opens a new world of words for the postman; a world of Metaphors..

The film is dedicated to Massimo Troisi who wrote and directed the film and who plays Mario. Making this movie (95) was his dream, even though he was ill, and he died only 12 hours after filming was completed.

If you can handle subtitles, many people can't this is a must see.

2. Callum

Callum New Member

I remember seeing it when it came out.

3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

That is a beautiful film! Glad you got to see it. I liked what you said about Neruda opening up a world of metaphors for Pablo, too.

I saw it about five years ago, and once, one of my students brought a clip of it in to show to my English class on "poetry day." It was a scene with Mario and Neruda, talking about love and wooing women, if I remember right.

Very sad that Massimo Troisi died just after the film was completed. You could tell that he put his heart and soul into that film.

Subtitles don't bother me at all. I'll often turn them on even if I'm watching a film in English.

I finished Trainspotting, and really liked it. Kind of reminded me of A Clockwork Orange, but more funny and redemptive. Some people online criticized it for making heroine addiction looking trendy and attractive, but I couldn't disagree more! It made drug addiction look like the hell it probably is.

We watched a romantic comedy last night, Dan in Real Life, with Steve Carrel and Juliette Binoche. It was very good, actually.

[This Message was Edited on 04/05/2008]
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I thought you might have seen this film, I loved it so did Tom. I'll definitely watch it again, so many metaphors flying around that I know I missed a lot.

I don't think Trainspotting glorified drug use,it showed the despair, the seediness and cut throat world of drugs but it did have its funny moments. A Clockwork Orange still gives me the shivers, it was so violent, I watched it again last year. To me it hadn't dated at all.

I'll put Dan in Real Life on my amazon list. Always on the lookout for a good film.

5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

movies, I was just listening to a foreign opera. "Le Postillon de Lonjumeau"; also about a postman. It is by our old friend Adolphe Adam.

You remember him. He wrote O Holy Night.

If you go to Youtube, you can hear Sara Brightman sing it. O Holy Night, that is.