Kenny's test - results

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by panthere, Jun 24, 2009.

1. panthere

panthere Member

Well, I finally received the test kits yesterday! My husband did one this morning and he got strong positive result after 15 sec and remained there for the official 3 min mark. He is not bedridden but he sick enough not to be able to work.

I am doing one tomorrow morning so we'll report back tomorrow.
  2. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

So what is the treatment if you test positive?
  3. Ales

Ales New Member

I think the idea behind this test is preposterous. See this one and thousands of other articles in peer reviewed journals on the metabolism and toxicology of hydrogen sulfide in the human body.
    Dr. Meirleir and his adherents were not able to publish any article in a peer reviewed journal with the possible exception of Med. Hypoth. which has a negligible impact factor of 1.3 and accepts accordingly rubbish for publication.

"Thiosulfate in human urine following minor exposure to hydrogen sulfide: implications for forensic analysis of poisoning", Forensicic Toxicology (2007) 25:92-95
  4. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Thanks for letting us know how the test went for your husband. I'm interested in hearing how it goes for you.

tee
  5. 3gs

3gs New Member

Guess I missed a thread but what is this for?
  6. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Here's a link describing the test and what it's for:

http://www.cfids.org/cfidslink/2009/060302.asp

This is in the middle of the article: "De Meirleir announced that PROTEA Biopharma has devised the first “bedside test” for H2S in ME and that it would be commercially available for 13? (approximately $25 US). According to De Meirleir, urine from bedridden ME patients turned dark blue quickly when mixed with proprietary chemicals, compared to a slower color-change reaction in less ill patients, or no color change at all in controls."
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2009]
  7. panthere

panthere Member

Well I did mine this morning and i got strong positive within 30 sec...Hmmm...
  8. QuayMan

QuayMan Member

Please give score on Dr Bell disability scale if giving results. If the person never had ME/CFS, please say so (some people are getting a healthy person to do it also to see if the results are different).

David Bell's CFS Severity Scale
    This scale is from 'The Doctor's Guide to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome', by David S Bell, pages 122-123.

Copyright in the following excerpts remains with David S Bell, MD.

The attempt is to document as accurately as possible the severity of symptoms, the degree of activity impairment with both activity and rest, and the functional ability regarding full-time work ... This disability rating scale has been developed in our office and any physician wishing to use it may feel free to do so.

No symptoms at rest. No symptoms with exercise; normal overall activity level; able to work full-time without difficulty.

No symptoms at rest; mild symptoms with activity; normal overall activity level; able to work full-time without difficulty.

Mild symptoms at rest, symptoms worsened by exertion; minimal activity restriction noted for activities requiring exertion only; able to work full-time with difficulty in jobs requiring exertion.

Mild symptoms at rest; some daily activity limitation clearly noted. Overall functioning close to 90% of expected except for activities requiring exertion. Able to work full-time with difficulty.

Mild to moderate symptoms at rest; daily activity limitation clearly noted. Overall functioning 70%-90%. Unable to work full-time in jobs requiring physical labor, but able to work full-time in light activities if hours flexible.

Moderate symptoms at rest; moderate to severe symptoms with exercise or activity; overall activity level reduced to 70% of expected. Unable to perform strenuous duties, but able to perform light duty or desk work 4-5 hours a day, but requires rest periods.

Moderate symptoms at rest. Moderate to severe symptoms with exercise or activity; overall activity level reduced to 50%-70% of expected. Not confined to house. Unable to perform strenuous duties; able to perform light duty or desk work 3-4 hours a day, but requires rest periods.

Moderate to severe symptoms at rest. Severe symptoms with any exercise; overall activity level reduced to 50% of expected. Usually confined to house. Unable to perform any strenuous tasks. Able to perform desk work 2-3 hours a day, but requires rest periods.

Moderate to severe symptoms at rest. Severe symptoms with any exercise; overall activity level reduced to 30%-50% of expected. Unable to leave house except rarely; confined to bed most of day; unable to concentrate for more than 1 hour a day.

Severe symptoms at rest; bedridden the majority of the time. No travel outside of the house. Marked cognitive symptoms preventing concentration.

Severe symptoms on a continuous basis; bedridden constantly; unable to care for self.
    Details of the book:

'The Doctor's Guide to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome'
    by David S Bell.
    Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading, Mass.
    Copyright © 1994, 1995.
  9. panthere

panthere Member

my husband - 40. I am 50. both have CFS. I should have bought more test kits so i could have a normal person do one for comparison. I hope somehow is going to do that....
  10. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

If every poster on this site had a "signature" stating their "severity" number this would be a markedly more useful site.

"Severity" being a requirement to join and post. Of course this site should be using vBulletin forum software or its equivalent. Appears to be roll-your-own. Crude.