Keratoacanthoma (skin lesion/cancer) ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justdifferent, Mar 25, 2009.

1. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

I have just been diagnosed with this - and am puzzled. I am fair skinned, but this lesion is in a sun-protected area; I am female; and nowhere near the typical onset age of 60-70.

One risk factor is being immunocompromised, and I have to wonder if this is related to the immune problems caused by, or exploited by, CFS.

Anyone else with issues like this?
  2. gasolo

gasolo New Member

I have seen many cases of skin cancers in immunocompromised patients. This is especially true in solid organ transplant patients who are on immunosuppressive drugs. Keratoacanthomas are also common in the aging population. They are generally considered to be very low grade squamous cell carcinoma. They generally grow very fast and are easily cured by excision.

[This Message was Edited on 03/26/2009]
  3. justdifferent

justdifferent New Member

I am not yet 45, so young for this to be due to age; and have not been diagnosed with immunocompromisation or taking any medication (eg steroids or other drugs) that would cause that. I am concerned that perhaps this is due to the immunocompromisation that seems to be either a cause of or a symptom of CFS/ME. I thought I'd share this with the community here.