Ketamine possibilities for pain? FWIW

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by victoria, Mar 30, 2011.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Interesting studies especially about Ketamine being used for RSD/Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy... which has an overlap with Fibro... In Germany it was used in high dosage and about 40+% had complete remittance of pain. Granted that was for RSD, but it is considered part of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome as is Fibro often, I think.

Anyway, FWIW:

2. inprog

inprog Member

Remember Michael Jackson and what happened to him?

Maybe consider something like FSM. Sounds like you are in a lot of pain. Maybe worth checking out. If you only want to go with traditional medicine, then there might be other injectables. I would think ketamine is too dangerous to use for humans. I am not a doctor but that is my opinion only. If you read above, there is lots of variability too which could trip you up if you get the wrong kind.

[This Message was Edited on 04/06/2011]
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

to be intriguing, especially what they are doing in Germany. If one is in intractable pain and can no longer use narcotics for one reason or another, I would probably try it. I am not in pain, I was just posting this as a FYI/FWIW.

Ketamine was also found to reduce the time it took for antidepressants to work from weeks to hours.

I just think that with judicious and careful use, the baby shouldn't be thrown out with the bathwater, so to speak. It is what is being attempted with narcotics overall anyway due to the addicts who feign pain and ruin it for others. There was a study many years ago that showed out of something like 800 subjects taking narcotics for chronic pain, only about 3 ended up addicted and those 3 had prior addiction problems. Wish I could find that study agin.

Anyway, again, this was just posted as a FIY/FWIW.

all the best,
  4. inprog

inprog Member

It was a pre-anesthetic for animal use with strict warnings not for human use with people who did take it with high blood pressure dangerously high and psychosis but that was years ago. Perhaps they have messed with the molecule over the years. Drug companies do that to get another patentable form that could maybe used safely on humans. Did not mean to discourage you. I only am familar with its other uses and side effects.
    It was known as ketamine HCL but don't quote me but only in injectable for animals back then.
    Best of luck finding it and the reference. Maybe if you can respond you can tell me what FWIW means then I might not have written anything. What does it mean? Thanks.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/10/2011]
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

FWIW = For What It's Worth.

Things change over time... obviously there's been more research done on it as time has passed. That often happens, and it can work both ways as we've seen with certain prescription meds.
  6. sunrise777

sunrise777 New Member

I would probably try it. Heck I would try just about anything to be rid of chronic pain. I've heard of inducing a coma to reboot the nervous system so that it stops sending pain signals. If it was an option in this country I would do it.

I know it's easy to say that one would try something but I think that if it is allowed in Germany which is much more advanced in treatments for many illnesses than the USA, than it's worth taking a serious look at it.

Maybe I need to think about this as an option. I've heard there is a treatment center in Florida that uses Katamine.

Thanks for the heads up.
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

I think only injections are available here... but may be well worth a try.

Here's some info on those who have taken opiods:

Little Risk for Addiction From Long-Term Opioid Use in Select Chronic Pain Patients

Pam Harrison

January 20, 2010 — Long-term opioid therapy is associated with little risk for addiction when given to selected patients with chronic non-cancer pain (CNCP) and no history of substance addiction or abuse, according to a review published online in the January issue of The Cochrane Library.

Meredith Noble, MS, ECRI Institute, Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, and colleagues found that only 7 (0.27%) of 2613 patients in the studies reviewed who received opioids for CNCP for at least 6 months reportedly developed an addiction to the medication or took the medication inappropriately. Most of the participants in the reviewed clinical trials had chronic back pain after failed surgery, severe osteoarthritis, or neuropathic pain.

Importantly, however, a significant percentage of patients taking opioids in any form, but especially oral formulations, withdrew from the study because of adverse effects or insufficient pain relief.

"I think one of the most important things to note is that patients in this review were screened for any history of addiction, so findings may not be applicable to the population as a whole or to people with substance misuse problems," Ms. Noble told Medscape Psychiatry. "But the most important message about this review is that we still don’t have an answer for many people living with chronic pain."

(rest of article at above website)