KHolmes and book club

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rosiebud, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm halfway through The 19th Wife and really enjoying it. Have you got it yet? Have to say that I'm appalled at what a monster Brigham Young was, I won't go into it as I dont want to spoil the book for you and anyway, you may already know this. The man was a dictator, a megalomaniac.

I managed to get Home to Harmony, 2nd hand from Amazon and was really pleased when it came because its hardback and in excellent condition. - just £3 something.

I have til Monday to finish the 19th Wife as it is on request at the library and then I'll start Harmony.

Hope you are all well and reading good books.

2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

The 19th Wife is a mix of historical FACT and modern fiction - a really good read, I definitely recommend it.

I'll need to get a hold of Reluctant Genius - sounds good. I'm off to see if my library has it. They dont which is somewhat annoying seeing as this is Scotland and he's one of our most famous inventors. I see it on EBay but its a bit too expensive at £18. Will see if my library will get a copy in.

I started When Will There Be Good News and had to stop - I thought I was really going to enjoy it, great writing but the storyline is based on a murder that is just too close to a particularly terrible murder that took place a few years back here in the UK. Just couldn't forget about the real murder when I was reading it.

[<i>This Message was Edited on 03/11/2009</i>]
    [<i>This Message was Edited on 03/11/2009</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 03/11/2009]
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

There's a murder in When Will There Be Good News? News to me. I read half the book.

A very strange book. Most modern novels are divided into alternating patches of narrative
    and scene. This one is all narrative until around page 80 or so. And it's in the first
    person plural.

I just kept reading to see if this could actually work. About half way through though, I got
    bored and went on to other books.

One of which was "Lincoln's Assassins: Their Trial and Executions". A big book w/ lot of pictures.
    One of the authors was James Swanson. I reported on another Lincoln book of his a year or
    two ago.

Ken, there's a Minnesota connection here. John Wilkes Booth was shot by a soldier named
    Boston Corbett. Corbett sort dropped outta sight for a while, but reappeared almost
    thirty years later. Perished in the Great Fire of 1894 near Hinckley, MN. The fire
    destroyed six towns and killed several hundred people.

My fifth grade teacher Miss Pribble was from Hinckley. She told us about the fire and how some
    people escaped on a train which was on fire.

The fire resulted from the unusually dry summer, the slash (debris) the loggers left in the forest, and
    the trains of the time which threw off quantities of sparks and routinely started fires.

This was the second worst fire in Minnesota history.Illustrating that learning from history is not
    always the case, the story was repeated a quarter of a century later in a nearby MN area. This was
    Minnesota's worst fire disaster.

The depot in Hinckley was promptly rebuilt from the original plans. Today it houses the
    Hinckley Fire Museum.

4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

have I got my books mixed up? What on earth am I thinking of? The book I started was up for voting but most had to put it on a long hold - so I started it then returned it to library. I'll need to do a back check on the posts to see what on earth I'm talking about.

Well I just checked and its the same book - I'm going to take Rock off to another post here so as not to give the plot away.

[This Message was Edited on 03/11/2009]
  5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

well that's a relief, I WAS talking about the same book - the brutal scene in the countryside - yes that's where I stopped too.

You'll like The Nineteenth Wife.

6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Turns out Rosie's suspicious that she was all confusiated was right on except the one who was
    discombobulated and mixed up was I.

I started three books that were suggested here for book of the month. One was the violent Kate
    Atkinson book. One was the office book w/ the confusingly similar title Then We Came to
    the End. And one was the novel by Joe Hill. Didn't like any of them. (See Rosie's supplemental
    post should details be wanted.)

I have started a historical novel about Jesse James. Don't much care for it. Can't tell what's
    fact and what's fiction and what's in between. Did learn that Jesse was left-handed. Don't recall
    reading that before.

Book was made into a movie w/ Brad Pitt and one of the Afflecks. (Isn't Afflecks a funny word?)
    If you search on line, you can find a tour of Jesse's old house in Missouri. A century ago his
    brother Frank would have showed you around for 50 cents. Frank was still around when my dad
    was a kid.

Anyway the author was an excellent writer w/ a real gift for coining similes. "His smile was wide
    as a kazoo."

Just finished Dark of the Moon by John Sandford. Set in the fictional town of Bluestem, MN.
    Numerous real towns are mentioned such as Mankato. I think the James gang rode through
    or past Mankato on their way to rob the Northfield bank. Haha! The intrepid Minnesota pioneers
    shot the gang to pieces and sent the Younger brothers to Stillwater Prison for life.

Anyway, if Bluestem isn't a town, what is it? Answer: it's a prairie grass. Grows 6 feet tall. As
    I recall, "Little House on the Prairie" begins with the girls lost in the tall grass.

Well, I'd better close this chapter before the electronic gremlins get at it.

7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hi, Rosie. I did get my copy of The Nineteenth Wife. My copy is hardbound and kind of heavy, but it looks worth the lift. I knew a little about Brigham Young's seamier side. He definitely has a near deity status in Utah. Haven't gotten my copy of When will there be Good News?, but sounds grim. I am #2 on the list for Q&A.

I got my copy of Home to Harmony, too, but haven't started it yet. I'm finishing a book called In This Sign, about two deaf parents who raise a hearing daughter during the depression. It's by the same author--forget her name--who had a hit with I Never Promised you a Rose Garden, which was adapted to film. That one is a bit grim; it's about mental illness. Also reading The Cartoon History of the Universe, which is surprisingly fun and informative!

Jean: I'm putting "Reluctant Genius" on hold. Thanks for the tip. I didn't know Alexander Graham Bell's wife was deaf. Definitely an irony there.

Rock: "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford?" I saw the film but thought it was a bit ponderous and dreary. I prefer the old Henry Fonda Jesse film, or The "Long Riders," which had the Carradine brothers and the Quaid brothers in it. Have you read "Northfield?" It's a short novel about the bank robbery. I thought it was a good, short read, with lots of things I didn't know about the James/Younger gang, the robbery, and the escape. I've forgotten what towns they passed through, but Mankato was definitely one of them.

I liked the Hinkley coincidence, and stories about the great fire are fascinating.
  8. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

I'm hoping to join you all one of these months...have been mostly reading autobiographies or memoirs of books I already own...haven't made it to the library in a while. I'm reading a short book called the Lobster Chronicles...surprisingly, I like it...I enjoy reading about adventure, things I might be doing if I wasn't ill...not that I'd want to trap lobsters.

Jean, the "Reluctant Genius" sounds fascinating and I would love to get ahold of that...I always found him interesting.

I have been following these posts and hope for some brain power to be able to join-- wait didn't I already write that? See?

Take Care,
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Jean: That's interesting about Bell and his wife. In one of the chapters in In This Sign, the deaf community team up with a theater owner to have a sort of "deaf person's Saturday" at the movies. It's set in the 30s, so after the Silent Era, but the movies give the deaf community a kind of solidarity, while radio gives the parents' hearing daughter a connection with the world.

I think you'll enjoy Cartoon History of the Universe. There are two more, and I'm on the third one. They're a lot of fun to read, and I feel like I'm learning more about world history than I ever did in high school or even college. Larry Gonick, the author, also has one on American history and one on the Modern World, not to mention cartoon books on statistics, chemistry, and physics.

Cindy: What's The Lobster Chronicles about? Well, besides trapping lobsters? Sounds interesting. Glad you're following along, and join us anytime!
  10. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Hi All!
    It's by Linda Greenlaw, and it's her story about life on a small island off the coast of Maine and her reasons/adventures in taking up lobstering for a living, not usually a woman's profession, nor a money maker.

I enjoyed it! She's a bit famous for the character they based on her adventures as a deep sea fisherman(woman) in the movie the Perfect Storm. I've never seen it but would be interested in watching it now. Have any of you seen it?
    And I'm craving lobster today!

The cartoon History of the Universe sounds interesting-- I'll have to check that out!

Hope you all have a fabulous day!