Kholmes, Elephant collection in profile

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by morningsonshine, May 21, 2007.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

As requested, :0)

Hard to show them all at once.

[This Message was Edited on 05/21/2007]
  2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I especially like the colorful one in the lower left.
    I'll bet it was hard to round them all up at once!

Now where did you and your husband get all of those elephants?
  3. morningsonshine

My Grandmother passed away this Feb., and i now have her china hutch. But not much to put in it.

March, the church had a fundraiser auction, my hubby and boys went to.

They gave him the booby prize, a white elephant! LOL The big one in the back of the picture. The other big dark elephant is bronze and it was in a junk box my husband also bought.

So i had two, then my son brought home a elephant from school that he made in art, and i found the colorful one, that you like, when i was visiting the in-law, and said "what the heck" one more won't hurt.

Then, just this Saturday, my husband and boys went to another (regular) auction. And they had this whole box full of elephants, he bought it, and brought it home for me!!
    Kinda made up for the not so great mother's day they gave me!:0)

So, now i'm the owner of a fine elephant collection!! LOL!
    (and one little tiny penguin! Sheepwrestler will want that cutie!)

I wonder what the horses will think of that????

They are kinda cute!

4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Way to go on your elephant acquisitions, Morning. Dumbo would be proud! (Sorry about your grandmother, btw)

I was curious about the term "white elephant," and I found some interesting facts on Wikipedia, regarding sacred elephants, PT Barnam, and Philadelphia baseball:

A white elephant is a supposedly valuable possession whose upkeep exceeds its usefulness, and it is therefore a liability. The term derives from the sacred white elephants kept by traditional Southeast Asian monarchs in Burma, Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. To possess a white elephant was regarded (and still is regarded, in Thailand and Burma) as a sign that the monarch was ruling with justice and the kingdom was blessed with peace and prosperity. The tradition derives from tales in the scriptures which associate a white elephant with the birth of Buddha.

P.T. Barnum once sent an agent to buy a white elephant, sight unseen, hoping to use it as a circus attraction. When it arrived in Bridgeport, Connecticut, it was covered with large pinkish splotches and was not white at all. The public was not impressed and Barnum had to keep his "white elephant" hidden from public view in a stable while he tried to decide how to recover some of the high cost. The elephant later died when his stable burned down.

The metaphor was popularized in the United States after New York Giants manager John McGraw told the press that Philadelphia businessman Benjamin Shibe had "bought himself a white elephant" by acquiring the Philadelphia Athletics baseball team in 1901. The Athletics manager Connie Mack subsequently selected the elephant as the team symbol and mascot. The team is occasionally referred to as the White Elephants.

5. morningsonshine

I knew that a white elephant was some kinda of meaningless, or goofy type of gift.

Now i know the rest of the story! Grin!

I mostly posted about my grandmother on the worship board.
    If you care to read it, i recently posted about the experience of scattering her ashes last Friday.
    Thanks for the condolence, i think she would like my elephant collection!

I sure hope i can get my book from the library tomorrow!

Wish me luck,

6. sisland

sisland New Member

Hope it's ok if i like all the Elephants too! The pink one stands out for me! This is another learn something new everyday thread! lolol,,,I always wondered what that term white Elephant sale ment,,,,,,,,Thanks ,,,sis
  7. morningsonshine

It's fun learning new things!

But i wonder what we would learn about pink elephants!! LOL

Been seeing any latey???

Thanks for stopping by.

8. sisland

sisland New Member

Now i have that song that Creedence Clearwater sings "Tangerines and Elephants were playing in the Band" Come take a ride on the flying spoon" Remember that song! oh well It probably doesn't mean what they are saying anyway! lolol

The last time i saw an Elephant was at the local Circus that comes through town every year,, I Havn't been there for many years,,,Probably 12 years ago,,,,,
    Elephants are cool though if you think about it!,,,,,,and very smart! i love seeing them on T.V. when the Babies are running trying to keep up with the moms!,,,,,,,,,,,,,sis,,,any more Bear sightings?
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Cool collection.

Isn't there some sort of thing about how they are holding their trunk? Up means one thing, down means something else? Somebody must know!

Also on the white elephant back ground - when the ruler of some countries was unhappy with a subject, usually a nobleman, he would "gift" the fellow with a white elephant. Because the white elephant was sacred and so expensive to keep the unlucky recepient would soon go bankrupt because of his "gift"!

Smile on purpose!
  10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

That's a neat addition to the white elephant trvia. Maybe you should add it to the Wikipedia entry!
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

The white Elephant can be an article no longer wanted by its owner ,,,it's also an Endevor that can turn out to be a conspicous Failure,,,,,

and also guess what! there's a movie out called "White Elephant" It came out in 2006,,,,The film is a Satire that reverses stero-types and seeks to show people as individuals rather than being Defined Merely by Symbols or lables which are common in popular cultures,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,S
  12. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Great fun post.Just reminded me that Scotland are the World Elephant Polo champions,lol.Yes,hard to believe,but such a game does exist.I think it's held annually in Nepal,seems about right as there's not many elephants running about Scotland right now.
    I think us Scots founded WEPA(World Elephant Polo Association) in 1982 cos we're not that good at anything else on the world stage right now,lol.
  13. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

two black elephants with ivory tusks (would be banned now) but were told they were unlucky and should always face a window??

The only elephant I have now is a GUINESS sticker on my fridge which says 'Take a trip to the zoo' and the elephant has a pint of Guiness balanced on its trunk.

I hate zoos and feel sorry for elephants, I think they've always had a terrible time from us, they are worked very hard in some countries, neglected etc.

Paul mentioned that Scotland is champion of the World Elephant Polo, clever, I've seen it on tv and its quite amazing.

14. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

collection, MSS. Be careful you don't run amok. Most collectors are crazy, you know.

Visited the home of a friend's mother. She had at least a hundred cardinals in her living room. Figurines, calendars, pictures, paintings, pillows, bookends, etc.

Gordon has hundreds of orchids. I have thousands of LP records.

I think the ultimate in terms of taking up space was the farmer I read about who collected old buildings. Sheds, barns, schoolhouse, cabins, etc. He must have had an understanding wife...or been a bachelor.