Kholmes: story

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shannonsparkles, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

The bee slowly unfurled his tongue. It was curled and shining slickly, exactly like a butterfly's tongue. However, since the bee had never tongued a butterfly, being too involved officialy in his bee business, didn't know how alike the two were.

The bee's whole field of vision was now dazzled by the corona of a dandilion bloom. His feet settled firmly into it's soft coolness. "Ah, there is is," he thought, as the nectar started to flow. He got comfortable. The stem trembled a little as the wind shook it, and the bee's furry legs held him securely in place.

Then, shadow darkened his worksite. He felt a little cooler, but paid no mind to the strange sound and smell that accompanied the shadow. Something was very near...

Your turn, Kholmes. :)
    ((lol)) Shannon

2. kholmes

kholmes New Member

At first the bee felt the cooling of the shadow, but then he stopped as the shadow crossed his field of vision. Growing full of nectar, the bee felt a temporary sluggishness. But now, something was reflected in his small glassy eye.

A little girl, about six years old, with red hair, was picking dandelions and blowing the fuzz into the breeze. She wore her yellow church dress and had green grass stains on her knees.

"Shall we gather at the river, the beautiful, the beautiful river," the little girl sang.

Her father had taken her family to the state park after church for a picnic lunch, and afterwards, to walk to the waterfalls in the woods. Halfway there, past the larkspur and aspen, she had seen a patch of dandelions off of the path.

"Gather with the saints at the river, that flows through the heart of..."

But she heard a slight buzzing over her left shoulder. If there was one thing that she was afraid of, it was
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2006]
  3. Shannonsparkles

Beestings. They came by surprise. They hurt so bad. They made her throat swell up until she couldn’t breathe. They made her feel hot and sick. Then they made her fall down. She was not allowed to have a bee sting again.

She whirled in the direction of the buzzing. She turned again. Where was it? Maybe it was a fly. Then it was on her.

(That smell! That delicious smell! Such bright color! So sweet! Where is the nectar? Ugh, dust, salt on my tongue. Dry. Sweet smell. Further on…)

In kindergarten that fall, Celeste had said that bumblebees were tiny yellow and black teddy bears with wings. She made a card for her mother that said “Bee Happy!” and made a bee from yellow construction paper to glue on the card. Celeste thought bees were perfect. Bees lived in flowers and funny lumpy shaped houses called beehives, and bees made honey. Then she learned that bees hurt.

As she saw the bee crawling on her left sleeve, she whimpered and heard in her memory the doctor saying, “good thing you got her here so soon. It was close…” She heard her mother crying by making a rough chug-chug sound over and over, and felt the taste of vomit in her mouth mixed with disinfectant smells and white everywhere. She had come back to herself after the last bee attack in a strange place full of strange people, dizzy and sick. Lucky she had gotten to the hospital so soon, the doctor had said.

She didn’t want to go there again. Not now. She didn’t want to be like her hamster, Charlie, either. That’s what they told her could happen to her if she got stung again. She had found him, stiff and still, behind the couch when her mom was vacuuming. He had been missing for so long that she didn’t even cry when she picked up his body. It still looked like Charlie. It felt soft like Charlie, cream and brown fur. But the real Charlie had gone a long time ago. That’s how she would have been. That's how she could be now. That's why Daddy had a box with a big red + on it with a long sharp needle inside that he would poke in her leg if she got stung again, and the box was in the picnic cooler next to where the soda was... She stopped thinking about it. It only made her feel sick.

Slowly. Move slow. She remembered now, and she took a breath again. Don’t scare the bee. Don’t hit the bee. If you hit the bee, the bee will sting. If you move quickly, the bee will sting. She was too scared to move. Mom and Dad were already far up the path with little Toby. They didn’t even know she was here. Maybe if she stayed really, really still, it would just go away and leave her alone. The bumblebee was on her sleeve. It couldn’t hurt her through her sleeve, could it?

The little furry bug started moving, crawling to her left arm over the yellow cotton cloth. Her scalp prickled sickly as she felt its scratchy, grabby legs move onto her bare skin. Mechanically, she started to move, humming softly, staring straight ahead.
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Celeste wanted to sing the words of her favorite hymn again, the one they sang at church that morning. But she didn't want to disturb the bee, now on her bare skin. Help me not to scream, help me not to scream, she thought.

Did bees die after stinging you? Isn't that what Rachel said in kindergarten? That their stingers fell out and they died?

Celeste heard the waterfall ahead through the pines, but couldn't see it. She longed to be there at the falls, with her family--where WERE they?--eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and not worrying about the sting of such a beautiful creature. And it was beautiful somehow, there on her arm. She looked at it closely, fascinated by its yellow and black. She remembered when Toby got into a hornet's nest in the shrubs behind the Russian Olive trees in their backyard.

Her arm shook slightly, but so far the bee didn't sting her. Would she always be afraid of danger like this?

Suddenly, her Dad appeared on the trail ahead. He stopped, noticing that she stood there, frozen. "Celeste! what's wrong?"

Celeste decided right then and there.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/27/2006]
  5. Shannonsparkles

Celeste decided right then and there that Daddy was the one who would know what to do. She took a shaky breath.

"Daddy! Help, I've got a..." she stopped in amazement, staring at the bee. "It's eating!" she exclaimed. Her eyes wide with surprise. "I've got a bee on me, and it's EATING!" Daddy let out a strangled cry that didn't register with the girl.

She laughed a funny little laugh, watching the bee's flexible tongue darting around on her skin. No, not on her skin. On a smear of pink icing!

"Daddy, look! It's eating the icing right off my arm like a plate!" She laughed again.

Dad's stomach felt like it was down around his knees somewhere. He had let the others go on ahead while he had come back to find Celeste, only to find her with a huge, deadly bee on her arm.

"Stay right there, sweetie. Daddy's going to get the bug off. Stay still..." He rooted around in his pockets for a piece of paper that he could use to flick the bee off without goading it to sting. Sweat slicked his trembling fingers.

"Whoops," Celeste said, "all done." The bee took flight just after the last of the pink icing had been licked off. It circled her once, orienting itself to her location so it could pass on the information about this giant yellow flower to the other bees, and sped off like a fuzzy rocket.

"Oh, gosh!" breathed Daddy. "Are you okay? Did the bee sting you?" She told him no. Disbelievingly, he stooped down to peer at her arm, then his eyes darted nervously around to see if there were any other bees lurking in the area. "Why wasn't I more careful?" he muttered to himself. "Dressing you in all yellow and giving you cake on the drive. I was just asking for this. I should have known it would happen..."

"Daddy, it's okay, I'm not hurt," she protested. She looked at him strangely. Why get so upset about something that hadn't even happened?

"Celeste," he said with deciciveness, "we're not going to tell Mommy about this. It would only make her worry." He stood up, clasping her small hand. "And we're going home. No more bees today!"

"But, Daddy, what about the picnic! And we're not at the waterfalls yet. I won't get to see them today." Her lip trembled. "I'm fine. I'm really really fine. Can't we stay?"
  6. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

This is AMAZING!!! Please keep going. I could actually feel myself drawing up in a knot waiting to see what the bee was going to do and what was going to happen next....

It is an honor to be able to read the works of such brilliant minds.....
    ((((hugs to you beautiful people))))
    MrsJ

Now - please do keep going. I'm dying to read what happens next!!
  7. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Me too! Me too!!!!!

What a nice break from my boring job!!!

:::applauding

Z
  8. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Wonderful! Wonderful!
    Very interesting .I found myself thinking of a cover on a romance novel.

And then in my daydreaming ,I saw Fabio slab a stick of butter and reach ever so tenderly to pull out the little black fury legs that were left behind by ....

sorry guys I got carried away.I loved reading yours!
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Her father, Paul, paused for a moment, and looked around, wondering if more bees were nearby. Celeste had always been brave, he thought. Antsy and bratty in church, where Paul was head pastor, but bold outdoors. Toby was just the opposite. Would Celeste be too reckless one day?

One hot summer afternoon, when Celeste was four, she had gone into the backyard and had lain down on the grass. After looking at the shapes the clouds made, as kids do, she had rolled over on her side. A collared lizard had slowly approached her--one of the most beautiful creatures on the planet, Paul had always thought. But it would scare the daylights out of Celeste. Paul had thought she would jump up, screaming. But instead, Celeste slapped her hand down on the grass and screamed, "Go AWAY!" The lizard scampered off.

Now, she would be likely to pick the lizard up with his bare hands, he thought.

Later the summer, on the hottest day of the year, there had been a violent thunderstorm. They could feel the wind shake the house and heard lightning and then hail pelt the roof.

In the living room, he had watched Celeste, expecting her to be afraid, but she steeled her face against the thunder and lighting, not quivering. Together, they counted the number of seconds after each lightning strike, until the storm passed.

"Well, it looks like your friend has flown away. I suppose if we keep to the path, we can catch up with your Mom and Toby and keep you out of danger. Roll down your sleeves, Celeste. And yell if you see a bee."

"He wasn't my FRIEND, Daddy."

"That's for sure, Celeste. Let's go."

They quickly caught up with Toby and Janelle and headed toward the falls.

10. Shannonsparkles

As Celeste skipped along the path with her Daddy, Mom and Toby, she scratched her arm where the bee had been. Now she knew there was something worse than being stug by a bee. It was being afraid. Maybe she would get stung again. Maybe she wouldn't. But she would never be afraid.

(Bzzzzzzzz... Where did the sweet yellow flower go? It is gone. Dandilions are good still. More dandilions...)

the end