Kholmes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rockgor, Oct 3, 2006.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hello, Fellow Minnesotan

When I was back in MN last July I went to Barnes and Noble.
    They had a whole bookcase full of MN books. They had books of history and photos of towns like Winona, Rochester, etc.

History of the state. Books of old photographs/postcards. Ole and Lena jokebooks. Books on lefse. Books on Norway and immigration. Cookbooks, etc. I felt like it was an all or nothing situation, and I couln't afford to buy all of them so I bought none. Haha.

But the point of this post, and I do have a point as Ellen Degeneras says, is our current book post is getting kind of long.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to have one post or two. One for books other than the book of the month? Or just one for books in general.

I think I like the idea of one because it is easy to talk about the book of the month and then segue off into a similar book or another by the same author.

Whatcha think, Teach?
  2. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I hear books are bad for ya
  3. rockgor

you parboil before baking.
  4. kholmes

kholmes New Member

You're right; the latest book post is getting about as long as a Minnesota winter.

I like the idea of keeping it to one at the end of each month, though, to keep things simple. I think the latest post is so long because we postponed discussion of MARLEY.

My father is road-tripping out from Wabasha to Albuquerque this week. It's been over two years since I've been able to make it back there for a visit. Did you ever tell me in what part of the Land of 10,000 Lakes you grew up?

A question for you, my erudite friend: what is the connection between the film, DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS, and the French impressionists (and it has nothing to do with the cinematography)?

Ken
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2006]
  5. rockgor

I think the idea of one per month is good.

Never saw "Beverly Hills". It came out about the time I stopped taking my son to the movies. Have only seen one or two movies in the decades since.

I've started to watch some, but they all seem so stupid or inferior imitations of old movies, that I just quit after about 20 minutes. Too bad. When I was a kid I loved movies.

Went to the Gem Theatre in Harmony, MN, (Pop. 1000) every Fri night and every Sun afternoon. The theater was opened the year I was born. For a quarter I got admission, bag of popcorn and a box of jujubes. Oh yes, 3 cents change.

Couple years ago my brother sent me an article about the theater. It is the only theater still operating in Fillmore County. Still using the same popcorn popper.

Harmony is about 45 miles from Rochester, Winona or LaCrosse. Just a couple miles N of the Iowa line.

Art was one of my majors at Hamline. If you took four courses of anything, you could call it your minor. I had five minors. Haha. Anyway I remember nothing about the French impressionist except that Monet painted water lilies. He was still alive when my father was young.

Did you see my suggestion re: a bumper sticker for your scooter?
  6. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hello, Carla. How's your evening going in The Hague? Cinematography is "the art or technique of movie photography, including the shooting and developing of the film," (I looked it up in the American Heritage Dictionary). It also includes the lighting, composition, framing, etc...of movie photography. They give an award for best cinematography at the Academy Awards every February. Films with great cinematography recently include Memoirs of a Geisha, The Aviator, Master and Commander. Great cinematographers like Gregg Toland, who shot Orson Welles's films like Citizen Kane, or Sven Nykvist, who shot many of Ingmar Bergman's films, are more interested in lighting, color, and composition than they are in the actual operation of the camera.

DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS is a quite funny remake of the 1930s French film, BOUDU SAUVE DES EAUX (BOUDU SAVED FROM DROWNING). The director of BOUDU was the great French filmmaker, Jean Renoir. Jean's father was the Impressionist painter, Auguste Renoir.

Rock: A Hamline grad, eh? I spent many a day in that area of St. Paul. I won't ask what year you graduated.

What do you think the bumper sticker on my scooter should say? How about "PWCFIDS on Board"? Maybe I'll post a thread about this question.

I vaguely remember riding through the Harmony area on my way to Iowa City a number of times, when I was going to grad school at U. of I. Ever been to MacGregor, Iowa? Pretty town.

7. rockgor

Cinematography is a French word. It means, not only did you sin, you took a photograph of it.

The Renoir Connection, Ken, sounds like something James Burke would dig up. RE: you bumper sticker, how about: My other scooter is a fork lift!

No I haven't been to McGregor, but I've been to lots of little towns in Iowa. Walked across the Meredith Wilson footbridge in Mason City. My nephews went to Buena Vista college in Storm Lake.

As to the year I was graduated, here are some history/trivia clues:

The first disco is the USA opened.
    The Supreme Court ruled in Gideon vs Wainwright.

There was a royal scandal in England. (Well, that could be almost any year.)
    Alcatraz closed.

The USA had a new President and the Vatican a new Pope.
    Robert Frost and Patsy Cline died.

Michael Jordan and Johnny Depp were born.
    Martin Luther King had a dream.

The Kingston Trio made a TV pilot.
    The Beatles came to the USA.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2006]
  8. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Harley Davidson
    :)
  9. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I like that one, Shannon. I once rode a Suzuki into a crowd of a thousand Harley riders in Sturgis, South Dakota, and even got a fake tattoo of a scorpion.

Rock: Great clues (except for the royal scandal in England).

I didn't know Johnny Depp was THAT old.

10. Callum

Callum New Member

You went to U of I? I've done summer stock in Iowa City eight out of the last fifteen years! I love that place! I worked there last summer - wow, the tornado devastation was pretty wicked. Amazing no people were killed.

Strangely enough, I experienced my first symptoms of CFS in I.C., and I STILL love that place...
  11. rockgor

Can you sing? Did you ever do musicals?

I can't sing but I've been in some; college, community theater.

I played Sigmund Freud in a musical my roommate wrote, and was a forest ranger in Little Mary Sunshine.

One of my brothers later became a forest ranger, but my sister did not become Little Mary Sunshine. My other brother is a cop. I am the only one who does not wear a uniform. Haha.
  12. Callum

Callum New Member

and have done a lot of musicals in my career, but luckily none recently. I couldn't imagine dance rehearsals with this DD.

A musical about Sigmund Freud ... sounds... interesting.
  13. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Isn't Iowa City a great town? I got my Masters in Film production at U of I in '91. I was struggling with health problems before, but my CFIDS worsened while I was there.

I hadn't heard about the tornadoes wreaking havoc there.

When does MAN FOR ALL SEASONS go up? Too bad we can't all come and watch your production.

Ken
    [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2006]
  14. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I think you're right about Van Gogh. He was a very bizarre individual, even without the ear-ectomy.

Have you ever heard "Vincent," the 70s pop song Don Maclean (of "Bye Bye Miss American Pie" fame) wrote about Van Gogh? It's schmaltzy, but beautiful.

15. Callum

Callum New Member

The summer of 1991 was my first summer there. I did "Talley's Folly" and "Hot l Baltimore", and just fell in love with the city and the people.

Who knows, we may have crossed paths.

"The Lion in Winter" goes up in two weeks from tomorrow. Thanks for asking.

A film major - I wonder if you worked with any of the theatre people I know who did films back then.

I've been cut out of both films I've done in my career. ("Hoffa", "The Mirror Has Two Faces") I think the movies were both better for it. Well, at least "Hoffa" was...
  16. Callum

Callum New Member

Jane Olivor did an incredibly haunting version of that song on her album "First Night." Exquisite, really.

He may have been off the beam, but what talent. I stood in front of the first Van Gogh I saw in a gallery for about twenty minutes, just staring at it. What texture. You could almost eat the paint.

Of course, Van Gogh DID, which contributed to his mental deterioration.
  17. rockgor

ate paint? Which came first, Callum? He ate paint and got crazy or was crazy and that's why he ate paint?

At least he didn't have to listen to people tell him, "Everything I say to you goes in one ear and out the other."

Carla, I read his name is pronounced "Hoch" in Europe. Is that right?

I don't need any pain medication, but I'll keep your recommendation in mind. My mother used to say, "You can't cook w/o onions".
    [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2006]
  18. Callum

Callum New Member

He would put the brushes in his mouth, I'm guessing to keep the tips moist, but it could be for stranger, more fixation-oriented reasons.

The lead poisoning certainly made his mental capacity diminish, but there is a such a thin line between creativity/insanity, it's impossible to say how much.
  19. kholmes

kholmes New Member

I'll have to try the onion remedy; thanks.
    But it will have to wait until our company is gone this weekend.
  20. rockgor

Thank you for your kind words. I think he's embarrassed to have a gay father. However, he is like his mother. Does not want to discuss emotions, personal feelings, etc.

One of my friends who went to 12 step programs and has been clean and sober now for about 20 years says, "Things are what they are."

When I visited my son a couple years ago, we were having diner w/ his new inlaws. The Middle-east situation was being discussed. I said, "Well, it seems to me..."

He said w/ clenched teeth, "We don't want to hear it."

I was pretty startled. I said ,"What"? He said, "We don't want to hear it." And the conversation went on.

But after the dinner was over and I was back in the car I cried all the way to the hotel. The next day he told me he didn't want to make a bad impression on his in laws.

So that's kinda where we are. I try to focus on the good years and the wonderful memories, but sometimes it just seems so hard. It's almost as tho he is dead.

Well, good thing I have this board to come to. Oh yeah, that's what I was thinking about regarding changing the name of the porch posts.

Thanks again, Carla.