khomes or other people with video skills.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gapsych, Jul 27, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am interested in doing some videos, adding music, etc.

Can you recommended a program for editing, etc. on a computer. What kind of video camera do you use?

I have been so impressed with your videos. I know I won't get to your level, but thought it would be a fun thing to try, if affordable.

I am making my "bucket list". See the FM board as I did not come up with this idea. I love the idea, though I certainly am not planning on dying anytime soon, knock on wood, but starting to think about things I might be able to do in the future and want to do something creative.

Thanks.

gap
    [This Message was Edited on 07/27/2009]
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

I don't have a lot of time right now but will give a short list or questions for you.

What kind of computer system do you use, Vista, or older windows.

How old is your computer and what brand?

Most computers bought in the last few years come with some video making programs already in them. Look for Windows Movie Maker on your computer.

I bought a new digital camera a few months ago and it take videos too. I do have to use a memory card to make longer videos but it works great. You do have to be careful with what type of format the camera uses to transfer files. I did a lot of research before I bought my camera to make sure I could do what I wanted.

I bought a Nikon Coolpix for $250 and love it, but they make them for $120 and up but the format only uses Quicktime and it is not compatable with movie maker.

Have you seen my videos? You youtube channel is ckballl yes 3 L's, I recently videoed my grandaughters wedding and it is on there. It is not like a pro but they loved it.

I would say if you were paying software for video editing it would start around $80 and up. Hope this helps- it is something I do about everyday. My computer and some of youtube is like a daily journal for my family to have when i am gone. I have them stored on a ext hard drive. Carla

3. ckball

ckball New Member

I don't have a lot of time right now but will give a short list or questions for you.

What kind of computer system do you use, Vista, or older windows.

How old is your computer and what brand?

Most computers bought in the last few years come with some video making programs already in them. Look for Windows Movie Maker on your computer.

I bought a new digital camera a few months ago and it take videos too. I do have to use a memory card to make longer videos but it works great. You do have to be careful with what type of format the camera uses to transfer files. I did a lot of research before I bought my camera to make sure I could do what I wanted.

I bought a Nikon Coolpix for $250 and love it, but they make them for $120 and up but the format only uses Quicktime and it is not compatable with movie maker.

Have you seen my videos? You youtube channel is ckballl yes 3 L's, I recently videoed my grandaughters wedding and it is on there. It is not like a pro but they loved it.

I would say if you were paying software for video editing it would start around $80 and up. Hope this helps- it is something I do about everyday. My computer and some of youtube is like a daily journal for my family to have when i am gone. I have them stored on a ext hard drive. Carla

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Sounds like twins, LOL!!

I have a gateway with windowsxpmedia. I also have video with my camera, have tried it but had not read the manuel. Skipped that part. My camera is a Nikon CoolPix. The small one.

Thanks to both for taking your time for your suggestions. I will definitely try these.

Carla, I will definitely take a look at your videos.

Today Youtube, tomorrow ???????

gap

ETA Carla, I just realized we may have the same camera? Wow!!![This Message was Edited on 07/27/2009]
  5. ckball

ckball New Member

Yes I love my nikon coolpix, but it seems Kina is the real video diva here :) I haven't done much with special effects and such, I can't remember if xp has a movie maker in the the media files but I think it does. But the camera I had before wasn't compatiable so gave it to my grandson for his birthday and bought my coolpix but have't had a lot of time to learn more than just make simple videos but good luck and enjoy and be PATIENT, it is easy to get frustrated-well for me anyway-lol-Carla
  6. kjade

kjade New Member

I do a lot of video editing. This is something I have enjoyed doing for many years. The software that is available has really improved since I first started doing this. I have a Sony HD camcorder, and a Canon digital camera. I make videos every year at Christmas time for my family. I put together pictures and video set to music. It is kind of like a photo album on film. These videos usually end up being 2-3 hours long. They are such a wonderful keepsake!! I know my kids will treasure them as they get older. And I am so very proud of them. They are a lot of hard work, but very worth it.

The program I use is Sony Movie Studio. I have version 8. I love this program!! I have tried so many others, and I have to say this one is my favorite. The software is very user friendly. It also came with a DVD maker, so once you are finished editing your video, you then transfer to the DVD maker, and the program guides you through the DVD making process. You do need a lot of memory on your pc. I have Windows xp, and this program works fine on my pc, even with 3 hours of video.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I did a search on my computer and I do have the dvd video maker on my computer!!

My dad has always been the one in our family to take videos. He transferred the old ones to the computer. It took us a long time to convince him to get a computer. Once he got one he eventually ended up with a system with all the bells and whistles!!

gap
  8. jmq

jmq New Member

I am not sure if its the same as you are asking about but I make and edit videos with my windows movie maker. It came on my computer. My teenage daughter taught me how to use it. I get pictures off of photobucket and some other free picture sites as well as use my own. I get some of my music to go with it from Limewire...but I heard not to use that site anymore. I will try to find out other sites for you. You can see some of my videos if you go to Livevideo.com just type in my channel name - same as here ...it is JMQ.

it is alot of fun once you get the hang of it. Enjoy!

jmq