Kicked while I'm down again, this time by psych

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jole, Mar 17, 2007.

1. jole

jole Member

Well, I was sent for a psych eval, nothing unusual in that if you're trying for disability, right? Was seen by a psychologist about 6 times(I really like her) and then on to a psychiatrist for med review.

The psychiatrist diagnosed me as bipolar, told me to read everything I could on it, come back in a month and let her know if I agree or disagree with her diagnosis, and then we would start treatment. I was floored, because she said her diagnosis was based on the fact that I can't take antidepressants, sleeping pills or antihistamines. That plus the fact that my dad was very abusive and she feels that he was also bipolar and it is a genetic thing.

Sooooo although I don't agree completely with any of this, I am so desperate for help that I decided to go for it and see if the treatment would help my depression any. Well, here it is 2 days before my appointment and I get a call from the clinic telling me that she is on "leave" and I will be set up to see someone else. (She either quit or was fired...) So who do they set me up with???? A nurse clinician!!!! I ask what good is she going to do me, and they say, well, she can renew your meds. I said I was just diagnosed and not even started on a treatment yet. No apology, nothing. Just a take it or leave it.

What the heck is going on here? I'm looking elsewhere, because this really sucks, don't you think? Do you just dx a person with something like this and turn them over to a nurse clinician?? Guess some good came out of it though, because my depression had turned into good ole anger!!!!!!!!
  2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Jole,

Just happened to see your post. I'm so sorry! If it were me, I would definitely leave the clinic and get a second opinion from another psychiatrist. Your bipolar diagnosis is new AND you don't even know if you agree with it in the first place.

I think a confirmation (or not) from a new caring, competent psychiatrist is what you needed all along since you have doubts---which is so understandable. Keep me posted. I hope it all turns out for the best.

Your friend, Erika
  3. lil_angel1198

lil_angel1198 New Member

The doctor should not have made you do research to see if you agree you have it. I've never heard of that.

IF you are bipolar, a nurse assistant can not give you prescriptions...that has to be handled by a psychiatrist. Our family doctor would not give my son any kind of meds for his bipolar, he had to see a psychiatrist to get meds.

If you go to this link, there is a list of questions that you can answer to see if you fall into the BP catagory.
    http://www.bipolar.com/what_is_bipolar/mood_disorder_questionnaire.html

Here are the questions asked:
    Has there ever been a period of time when you were not your usual self and...
    .... you felt so good or so hyper that other people thought you were not your normal self or you were so hyper that you got into trouble?
    Yes No
    .... you were so irritable that you shouted at people or started fights or arguments?
    Yes No
    .... you felt much more self-confident than usual?
    Yes No
    .... you got much less sleep than usual and found you didn't really miss it?
    Yes No
    .... you were much more talkative or spoke much faster than usual?
    Yes No
    .... thoughts raced through your head or you couldn't slow your mind down?
    Yes No
    .... you were so easily distracted by things around you that you had trouble concentrating or staying on track?
    Yes No
    .... you had much more energy than usual?
    Yes No
    .... you were much more active or did many more things than usual?
    Yes No
    .... you were much more social or outgoing than usual, for example, you telephoned friends in the middle of the night?
    Yes No
    .... you were much more interested in sex than usual?
    Yes No
    .... you did things that were unusual for you or that other people might have thought were excessive, foolish, or risky?
    Yes No
    .... spending money got you or your family into trouble?
    Yes No

If you checked YES to more than one of the above, have several of these ever happened during the same period of time?
    Yes No

How much of a problem did any of these cause you — like being unable to work; having family, money, or legal troubles; getting into arguments or fights?
    Please select one response only.
    No Problem Minor Problem Moderate Problem Serious Problem

Hope this helps you. It took us a long time to have my son diagnosed. We had to give a detailed family history to the psychiatrist. Along with behavior patterns. I took in a folder that was about 1/2 inch thick with my son's family history, including family alcohol abuse, drug abuse, etc. I also had a huge list of symptoms he was having. Severe night mares, seeing things and hearing voices that weren't there. His aggressive behavior, depression, anything you could think of. He was 8 yrs old when he was finally diagnosed, but I had been dealing with this since his birth.

the NIMH.NIH.gov site has a lot of information too.
    Good luck, and please make sure you have a good psychiatrist treat you IF you are Bipolar.
  4. MsE

MsE New Member

You were lucky! Find a new clinic.
  5. jole

jole Member

Thanks all for your replies. I think you're right. Whether I have it or not is still to be seen, but perhaps this was a blessing in disguise. I will look at the sites mentioned and see if it brings me any new insight....guess there are always the gray shades to everything, and maybe I'm just looking at the extremes. The questions were helpful! (I'm in there a few times :) lol)

But you all are right on the fact that I need to find someone new. My daughter said she has heard of someone in private practice, and is going to try to get some info for me on her.

That's the bad thing about these small town areas....it's so hard to find help without driving farther than I can manage, and my husband is getting weary of all the trips to docs. He will do it, but still has a farm to run also.

Thanks again, friends. You make me feel better!!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/17/2007]