Kids use aspartame to get high

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by woofmom, Jun 5, 2006.

1. woofmom

woofmom New Member

I just got an email from my aspartame support group. Dr. Janet Hull says kids are snorting Crystal Lite.
  2. tanu

tanu New Member

I heard you have had aspartame poisoning.Please tell me more.It is appalling that it is allowed to be sold inspite of its terrible side effects.I believed it contributed towards my illness(CFIDS) due to its immune suppressant nature.I am trying ti increase awareness amongst the people i know of the dangers of Aspartame.I would be interested to know about this support group as well if you please.
  3. woofmom

woofmom New Member

http://presiodiotex.com/aspartame. I think that's right. It's very informative. For instance, aspartame is in regular chewing gum and Wal mart brand alka seltzer plus. The more people made aware of this poisonous garbage, the better.
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

If they cared, they wouldn't have put it in crystal lite in the first place.
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

If they cared, they would use Xylitol or Stevia. WAY safer than Aspartame, Saccharin, Splends. They are chemicals, and you all know how I feel about Chemical Companies.
  6. dleaning

dleaning New Member

This is a joke isn't it?? What kind of high can crystal light give? Its a drink!!
  7. woofmom

woofmom New Member

They use the powered form. The aspartame in it is a dangerous chemical.
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

The first thing I thought when I read this was Oh How Awful!! The next thing I thought was...are they going to start watching grocers and arresting them for selling too much Crystal Lite..In other words are the grocers who sell Crystal Lite or Aspartame products going to be treated like doctors who prescribe pain meds.

This world is so out of control.
  9. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I cringe everytime I see a parent give a child 'diet' anything!!

Now, the sodas will be removed from the vending machines and replaced with other drinks, however, one of the replacements will be diet sodas (with aspartame, and others). The country is trying to make our youth aware of the sedentary and unhealthy life style which results in obesity, but I am concerned that this awareness is not also addressing the chemical problem as well. If they are going to discuss the fatty foods, they then need to discuss the dangers of the alternative 'diet foods'.

I try to be very careful with my son, however, I am very lucky because he is a label reader. The problem is that the artificial sweetner is disguised as something else.

A new fruit juice came out and it is marketed as being very healthy. I decided to look at the ingredients one by one and googled each ingredient that was not familiar.

There were - not one - but TWO artificial sweetners. One of them was splenda and the other I don't remember.

It made me angry because there were NO symbols or anything on the front of the packaging.

I am going to print out a list of sweetners and AKA's and just for kicks look at several different foods and drinks to determine how many have them.

Truthfully, I am too tired to save the world, but at least I can protect my family and share with you.

.... I am editing this message to mention that the ingredient splenda .. and others are listed in the ingredients under different and unfamilar names- this is tricky.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2006]
  10. Hootie1

Hootie1 New Member

I forgot to add that I was at my son's baseball game not too long ago and I overheard a parent talking about her son's migraines. He also suffers from epilepsy- the irony is that I constantly see him (12 years old) and his sister (4 years old) with a diet coke in hand. Whether it be a cold or hot day (and you know the dangers of heated aspartame).

I shared, in a very gentle way, my findings about children who consume aspartame, but apparently she didn't give it any thought.

What a shame! I worked for a doctor's office in CA 20 years ago and remember a study being released about the dangers of aspartame in children.

What a shame... I don't trust the FDA anymore.. It's a shame! Money is the key...
  11. woofmom

woofmom New Member

No, it's not cocaine use. THEY'RE SNORTING CRYSTAL LIGHT.
  12. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

I find it quite scary and ironic that I am drinking Crystal Lite while reading this.
  13. BethM

BethM New Member

I went to Janet Hull's website. The article talks about kids eating powdered Crystal Lite (yuck!!!) and getting a high from it, but the reference to snorting it is that she spoke to a 13 year old who knew someone who knew someone who snorted it. I'm not too impressed with validity of 4th hand information

I'm not sure snorting it is the issue, however. I can't imagine eating Crystal Lite powder, but we used to eat Jello powder when we were kids... That's when it was made with plain old sugar and made our tongues turn colors.

I agree with you completely that aspartame is dangerous and should be banned, or at the very least, labeled clearly on all products containing it. However, I'd like harder facts than Dr. Hull is providing, about the kids and Crystal Lite issue.

I work with teens, so I am very interested in the strange things they do.

I prefer a more scientific, facts based approach to the problem, but that's just me.

Please don't take this post as an attack, ok? It's just my opinion.

Peace,
    Beth.

14. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

What kind of high do they get??

Street name for coke is Crystal Lite. Maybe the kids heard the street name and tried it only to get sick but didnt know it was a name for coke??? could that be??

ok, im going to have to look into this one and get back.

thanks
    God Bless,
    cin
  15. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

i googled search snorting crystal lite and it was all about coke and meth.
    then one website said kids are snorting the packets of crystal lite for diet reasons.

thats about all i was able to come up with.