Killer Back Pain - Update - Update

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Greenbean7, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I am having so much lower back and hip pain I am going nuts!

I took a pain pill at 7:30 am and it is almost noon. I can't take another until 1:30. Seems like I am living from pain pill to pain pill and they only work for about 3 hours and even then don't take the pain away.

My hips hurt so bad that even my pants hurt them. Like I'm bruised all around my backside and hips.

I guess I just wanted to vent! I am going to check with the doc about the lidocaine patches. Can osteoparosis be causing this pain? I was dx'd in May with ost. in my hips.

Thanks everyone!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
    [This Message was Edited on 06/28/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/29/2006]
  2. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

You may not have a visible vaginal infection either, it may just be starting but not rooted. Or the candida may be infested in your kidneys, womb or any other organ.

coconut oil, or plain yogurt can help relieve the pain when painkillers aren't cutting it. I wear a nightie, or the loosest thing I can find around the house most days. Clothes are for going out, since anything tight or even slightly clingy hurts me.

jeanne
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

At the advice of another memeber here, I got the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook and I'm amazed at how many areas of our body we can address ourselves. Lower back and hip pain is one of them, as long as we don't have a ruptured disc or something....

A section on the gluteus minimus is right spot on where I hurt. Posture is one reason for the problem (oops, sitting at the computer with my legs askew) but also having one leg shorter than the other is another cause. That would be me - by just a fraction but still enough to count.

I also have some osteo but not enough to cause this much pain. It really bothers you at night, doesn't it? Try being sure to move around more and not sit in one position.

Marta
  4. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I do have a place I can go to a pool. Indoors which is good because I don't do sun and is 103 right now!

Jeanne - I wish I could just wear my big t-shirt and my size 16 shorts (I'm a 10/12 so they are really big and comfy). Don't think they would like it if I dressed that way at work! I don't own a nightie so I know they wouldn't let me wear my sleep wear (or lack there of!!).

I was wondering as I came back from lunch if I might have some kind of infection. I do use coconut oil, but only about a teaspoon a day. Can't be a uterous thing, had everything removed about 10 years ago.

I've never had a yeast infection, kidney infection, or urinary tract infection that caused pain like this.

I do have two ruptured disks in my lower back which I most likely did in December when I fell on our steps.

The osteo isn't very advanced, but with the combination of ruptured disks, osteo, and my good old FM pain, who knows anymore.

It's so hard to decide if it is FM or something else!

Thanks again!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Well, after taking pain med last night before bed I did get some relief and slept some. After I got comfortable in bed the pain was mostly gone except for the hip I was laying on. (Can't sleep on my back or tummy.)

This morning when I got up there was very little pain, just right in the spine. So I don't think it's an infection.

I didn't have to take meds until about 9 this morning (it's 9:30 pdt) so that must be an improvement.

Just thought I'd update. Thank you all for your concern and help. I can't discuss with my DH because yesterday he worked all day fixing our baler in 103 degree heat and when he got it going decided to bale for "awhile". Of course he did the whole field and came in at 8:45!

He was exhausted and in pain with his back. He only stayed up for about 45 minutes after he came in and he was telling me all about the problems he had all day. I don't like to moan to him, and he needed to vent worse then I did last night!

Thanks again! You guys are a God send to me!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  6. housatonicman

housatonicman New Member

chiros in your area ?
    ask some friends you trust and see who most recommend.
    Living with bad back pain isn't much fun, IME.
  7. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Back actually seems a little better than yesterday. Keeping my hopes up!

Bad experiences with two different chiros. Worse by far after treatment than before.

Had a wonderful doc who did manipulations on my entire body. It felt wonderful but with in a few hours I couldn't move and for about three days I was in horrible pain.

I would have stayed with him but couldn't afford the $50 co-pay twice a week. Chiro would be the same cost to me also.

Thanks for the idea, though. I'm not chiro bashing I think they help a lot of people. Besides, my boss' son is a chiro!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  8. kriket

kriket New Member

I put a post about low back pain a couple of days ago. I have chronic low back pain also. Some days it's so bad it's hard to even try and get up from sitting position. Sounds like you may have some sort of a back injury. From the responses I got, it seems as though chronic low back pain is not that normal with this dd. Good Luck to you. I can sympathize with you.

Kriket
  9. Astarte

Astarte New Member

I've had back problems for 30 years since I was 16. Are you sure you have a ruptured lower disc? I had my L5-S1 replaced in 98', suffered during my last pregnancy with it. It took one year till I felt normal again but it was a great relief shortly after. I'm glad I did it. Any reason you won't have it replaced? They have much easier ways of doing it now and materials are easier on the body too.

Glad to see your feeling better.
    Star
  10. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thanks for helping, Star!!

I had an MRI that showed a bulging disk and a ruptured disk in my lower back.

I had 3 cortizone injections in March/April and thought at first they were working. The horrible night time leg pain is back and the back pain is no better.

I did fall on our front steps in December. Had lower back pain off and on before that, but nothing like this. I think that is when I hurt it. Hit my lower back right across the top of the top step and had a bruise all the way across my lower back where I hit. Most of my back pain was up much higher before that.

I will try everything else my doc recommends before I will even consider surgery. I always feel that is my last resort. If it is the only thing that will work then that's what I'll do.

This morning I am wondering again if it is an infection. I feel like crap and am dizzy and feel like I have had a double dose of pain med when I haven't taken any. As long as my head feels this way I am afraid to take the med because I am at work and don't want to make the dizziness any worse.

I hate this!! Maybe tomorrow I will wake up all well! A girl can dream ya know!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Well, I went to the doc cuz I was beginning to think it was a kidney infection.

Nothing showed up so they are going to culture the urine and they took some blood.

Will check in with them tomorrow and see what they find.

She said drink lots of fluids and take my pain med for the pain.

Thank you all for your help, I'll let you know if I find anything else. This is the best place for support and help! Don't know what I'd do without you!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Have you had a dedicated spine MRI? I would get one if not. I learned this week about Chiari's syndrome and how easily it is missed.

I feel sorry you are in pain. Does massage help?

Love Anne Cromwell
  13. janieb

janieb New Member

I've had a lower back injury 30 years ago and spent a long time in the hospital. They told me I would never walk with a back brace. They were wrong.

Now I have fibro and Ehlers. Every joint in my body is hyperflexible, except my hips. At the last visit my Rheumy had me have hip x-rays and sure enough, the problem is arthritis in my spine. Not alot they can do about it. My problem shows up mostly if I'm walking alot or standing. Especially in a mall.

Just thought this might be helpful information.

Blessings,

janieb
  14. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Personally, I think it IS very common with FM. I have suffered chronic back pain for years that has become almost/sometimes debilitating in the last year. I have had MRIs, CT scans, x-rays, full body bone scans - they show nothing. It amazes me how bad the pain can be with no mechanical cause.

I would definitely have tests done to rule out anything else and not just write it off as "just" your FM, but it certainly could end up being exactly that.
  15. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I had an MRI in February and that is when the bulging disks were dx'd. Also had a bone scan and have osteoparosis in my hips and lower spine.

I don't know if the osteo causes pain or not.

I think I should stay home in bed for a few days!! Maybe starting now!! I do have four days off this weekend (yeah!!) and will take it easy. Won't be able to communicate all weekend though, no computer at home.

Thanks again!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  16. JLH

JLH New Member

I have extreme low back pain, too. It is really awful. It is a pinched nerve between L4, L5, and S1. The nerve pain runs down my leg and makes my toes numb. Sometimes it hurts worse than others. When it's really bad, it sometimes goes into spasms and I can't even walk. Because of it, I can't stand on my legs longer than 5-15 minutes before I have to sit down, or just fall down!

In addition to the pinched nerve, I also have in my lumbar spine ... herniated disks, degenerative disks, spinal canal stenosis, impingement in anterior subarachnoid space, and severe degenerative osteoarthritis of facet joints),

I have also had a severe kidney infection that my low back felt that bad, too.

When I am sitting down, I ALWAYS have a heating pad on my low back! My heating pad is my best friend!! LOL

You were talking about your DH baling hay ..... well, my DH had a bad weekend last week baling. His baler caught on fire, which caught our field of hay on fire. He had to call the local volunteer fire department to come and put the fires out. It looked as if the fires were completely out. However, when my DH got the baler into the barn, it caught on fire again!!!! It did quite a bit of damage to our baler. I don't know what he's going to do--we just bought a new big John Deere tractor this spring, and a new even bigger McCormick tractor last year, so we certainly can't afford to replace it!!! It's about 20 years old, too.
    When you farm, it's ALWAYS trouble!!!! LOL

Hope your back gets to feeling better.

Hugs,
    Janet
  17. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Lidoderm patches really helped my mom. She has severe pain from degerative disc disease. Her pain doctor had her on the following combination:

Lortabs
    Darvocette for breakthrough
    Lidoderm Pain Patches
    Neurontin

She's had a very hard time but says the Lidoderm patches helped alot.
  18. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Oh, those old balers are just a dream aren't they? We dream they will work really well for just one cutting! Just one!

We lost the whole first cutting due to rain. DH rolled it and rolled it and rolled it but it just kept raining! Finally gave it to a neighbor who green chopped it just so we could get it out of the field. Then it rained for another 5 or 6 days after that.

He was really worried about getting this out of the field before it rained. He got it all up and it rained just a little yesterday. Glad that's done, now we don't have to worry 'til next cutting. He is still working on the baler however.

You're lucky you didn't lose the barn! Our baler is from 1972 and of course we bought it used about 1989. Poor old thing is probably just tired!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  19. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Thanks for the info. I will ask my doc about that when I go in on the 17th of July. He offered me those for post shingles pain, but I haven't had any. Well, I have pain so much pain how would I know it was post shingles pain!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean