Kim and Gary

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cpalance, Sep 28, 2002.

1. cpalance

cpalance New Member

I noticed in one of the posts that Gary had fusion and work done on C4,C5,C6. That is where I have problems, except everyone including the surgeon told me to leave it alone that it is already too bad to do surgery on. I was wondering if Gary's fusion took or not? The surgeon told me that a 3 level fusion very seldom will all fuse on a healthy young person, let alone someone my age. (54) Anyway, I was wondering if the damage was done from an accident or from osteoarthritis. Any information you can give me would help. I have been told the best I can hope for is that possibly the arthritis will fuse itself (sure) and that then they will have to do something to stablize my back. By the way the rest of my disc's aren't looking too good either.
    Thanks,
    Cindy
  2. cpalance

cpalance New Member

I noticed in one of the posts that Gary had fusion and work done on C4,C5,C6. That is where I have problems, except everyone including the surgeon told me to leave it alone that it is already too bad to do surgery on. I was wondering if Gary's fusion took or not? The surgeon told me that a 3 level fusion very seldom will all fuse on a healthy young person, let alone someone my age. (54) Anyway, I was wondering if the damage was done from an accident or from osteoarthritis. Any information you can give me would help. I have been told the best I can hope for is that possibly the arthritis will fuse itself (sure) and that then they will have to do something to stablize my back. By the way the rest of my disc's aren't looking too good either.
    Thanks,
    Cindy
  3. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

my friend Kathi had it done this June her spine needs 5-7 surgeries soon. She had the same ones done as he. Her graft took too they also had the plates and screws. Surgery is not easy with these DD things. He has a few more surgeries to go to. In Jan he saw a different doc and he said no surgeries were needed and the L-5 S-1 he would live with. Then 7 months later and more symtoms and now MRIs he says surgery as soon as the pain from the back to feet stays constant. It almost is none stop. Gee what a turn around. I will get Gary to talk further to you and ask away. I hope we can give you some help on this matter. Kim

Hi, Cindy. Gary here.

My graft, with the help of a titanium plate and screws, fused. Part of my surgery included cleaning out bone spurs. The bone spurs have come back. The surgery helped rid me of most my headaches. I still have considerable neck pain.

Gary
  4. cpalance

cpalance New Member

thanks for answering me. Was this caused by an accident or Degenerative Disc Disease? According to the 4 doctors I have consulted they all seem to think that surgery is not possible or that it won't help the pain. One of the surgeons did want to go in and clean out the bone spurs. I didn't know that they come back. That was a good piece of information. I guess because my other disc's C1,2,3,and 7 are not in very good shape either. I was told if they tried to do a fusion that it would weaken the already deseased disc's and that I would end up in worse shape than I am in now.
    I am still confused as the Drs. won't tell me what is going to happen to me! To me it sounds like I am going to be paralized (not a good thought). The trouble is they won't come out and say it, except for the doctor in CA that I sent my MRI's to and he said the slightest jolt to my neck could cause me to be paralized.
    It is hard just waiting and wondering when or what is going to happen next.
    Thanks for listening to me. I can be a pain in the "neck" ha ha. Seriously I am a little scared.
    Good luck to you Gary, I understand the pain.
    Thanks again.
    Cindy
  5. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

he has Rotator cuff synndrom PT and is in so so much pain due to it. Sorry to take so long in writing back. This has been a bad weekend here.

He was in a car accident 26 years ago but, the doctors don't feel it was the culprit. He was hit on the drivers door at 45 MPH and his L5 S1 seems to stem from the accident. Sometimes I wounder if the docs really know. C2-7 are problems for him and the doc wanted to go in from the front and then the back for the C567 he had done and then the upper ones next. Gary was so happy to get rid of the head aches and getting back a lot of his arm strength. The problem is he hated the Mylogram. He didn't do what he was told and say down. Then he was in too much pain to take the 50 min drive back to the hospital for the blood patch. What a mistake. Everyone we know that got it for the terrible headache was instantly better.

My friend who had the surgery this summer has almost no headaches now, but, as the spirs grow back so comes back (like leasons in other surhgeries) the headaches and weakness and pain worsens agian. I know that I am glad he had the surgery. He had that 24/7 headache for 10 years.

Gary saw one doc that said no surgery because it puts pressure on the other close vertabra and it would be a trickle down effect and he would need more surgeries as time goes on and the stress causes the others to get bad. Well I say his back is dicenegrating any way and why wait till your older and jave more possible complications due to age and the recoup time longer. His back is getting worse fast and not due to the surgery. He will do the other surgeries but, he is a chicken when it come to needles and this is his major reason for not wanting it done till he can't take the pain again. He hates the IV needle and the shots for pain after wards. The Ortho who is not the doc he saw as a second before the sugery, he went there for a 3rd opion at first said no surgery but, as he sees how progressive his back is going down hill he is changing his mind.

I know I have read about people that won't do surgery and others that will and it is so hard to make a dission. If it were me I would do it. I have had so many surgeries since a young teen on that it doesn't bother me to go through it and I am not scarred of needles.
    My friend Kathi is also at a point where if she doesn't do all the ops she will end up in a wheel chair and paralised as it gets worse. Her cord is being I don't know the right term but, it is kinking. She also had the same neck surgery done 6 years ago but, w/o the plates and screws. This time she had the screws and donnor bone like Gary did.When they take the bone from your own hip it hurts worse then the neck and it makes it hard to walk. Kathi is a med/surg nurse and said she would never take from her hip.

This is a really hard dission to make and I would get 3 opinions with all the options. I know when we were deciding what Gary should do it was easy. He wanted the headaches gone and the strength back. He also has less neck pain but, the problem is it does come back after time, how ling that depends on each person.

I wish we could help more and if you have any other q's we will try to help. You also can't drive for 6 weeks some more and wear a collar, which in summer is very hot. Time in hospital was Wed and out Fri. I know the doc that did their ops had paitents form NJ, NY, Del, and Pa that we asked lots of these were patients in his waiting room. Not one was unhappy.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing, Kim and Gary

PS he also has other problems like heniated disks in the dorsal area and a couple new buldges and narrowing etc, up and down his spine.[This Message was Edited on 09/30/2002]
  6. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

after I had been hit from the side, but at a much slower rate of speed. The pain shooting down my arm went away and I have absolutely constant neck pain, that's hard to describe. I also have the lumbar/sacral pain from my accident last year. No surgery was necessary, as nothing was herniated. I haven't had bone spurs in my spine. I'd stay away from surgery, unless absolutely necessary. The risks may be way too much over just a possibility of success. ((((gentle hugs))))