Kinda OT Has anyone investigated cohousing?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by libra55, Jun 18, 2006.

1. libra55

libra55 New Member

There have been several posts lately about being alone, and having FM/CFS, no one to help, a couple of our members had fallen down etc. gotten hurt.

I am married, but basically I am alone (both physically and emotionally), I have raised two children (one with special needs)and cared for an elderly mother with Alzheimer's while battling this DD and basically done it all alone, and I can relate to all here that have this issue. My kids are teenagers now so it is somewhat better.

A while ago I heard about co-housing. It is a Danish concept where you help plan the community and buy your house there. There is a common meal area where people share meals but also you have your own kitchen. I believe all ages are welcome. Pets are welcome. You are required to contribute something to the community, how much I don't know.

I guess the down side would be it's not very private. The up side would be there is always someone there who would know your whereabouts and what condition you were in. Or do they only want healthy people there? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this concept?

I have thought more and more about this, as I am 50 and my husband and I have no closeness. I know I do not want to enter my golden years with him. He is inconsiderate of me and my conditions (FM, Crohn's, asthma just to mention a few), and I cannot talk to him, and neither can any of my doctors; he is like a closed book.

I am not bedridden, I do manage although I am in pain, and I could probably work at a minimal job. I am sure these communities are expensive.

Any thoughts?

Michelle
    [This Message was Edited on 06/19/2006]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

I bumped up an old post of mine about it - title is:

HOUSING for CFIDS/FM MCS sufferers? 04/04/06 05:40 PM

Got the info from cfids assoc., cfids.org. newsletter, there's one proposed in Mass. and one for SC.

hope this helps - I haven't heard anything further about it, but you might use that info and do a search on google to see what else you might find.

best,
    Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 06/19/2006]
  3. jess

jess New Member

Hi, I have seen something about housing for cfids persons on the website where Dr. chaney tape was purchased. I know it's the texas support group. If you google Chaney tape June 05 maybe you can find the group. there was a whole section about housing. If I remember it was in South Carolina somewhere and I don't think it was all that expensive. I hope you can find it. Jess
  4. jess

jess New Member

Hi, I have seen something about housing for cfids persons on the website where Dr. chaney tape was purchased. I know it's the texas support group. If you google Chaney tape June 05 maybe you can find the group. there was a whole section about housing. If I remember it was in South Carolina somewhere and I don't think it was all that expensive. I hope you can find it. Jess