Kinds of pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Stormy214, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

First, thanks so much for the welcome and advice! I've been sitting here too long reading all the postings, and boy am I starting to feel it! I will definitely be taking a hot bath in short order, but as my pain meds are wearing off, it occurs to me that I have been reading a lot of descriptions of pain as achy and flu-like, but my pain is very sharp and deep, and there is a horrific burning sensation that goes along with that. It feels as if the skin is burning, not just the muscle. I can't even stand to have my clothes touching my body in those spots when its bad like that! Does anyone else have that same type of pain, or is it mostly the achy kind for you all?
  2. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

First, thanks so much for the welcome and advice! I've been sitting here too long reading all the postings, and boy am I starting to feel it! I will definitely be taking a hot bath in short order, but as my pain meds are wearing off, it occurs to me that I have been reading a lot of descriptions of pain as achy and flu-like, but my pain is very sharp and deep, and there is a horrific burning sensation that goes along with that. It feels as if the skin is burning, not just the muscle. I can't even stand to have my clothes touching my body in those spots when its bad like that! Does anyone else have that same type of pain, or is it mostly the achy kind for you all?
  3. tes

tes New Member

Gosh, I can really relate to what you're saying. My pain is nowhere near an aching pain. I get the deep, burning pain in my chest, lower ribs and stomach area. It is a pain that drives me mad. I, myself hate clothes touching me when it's really bad. It's pretty funny at times because when my husband comes home from work, he knows when it's acting up because I have my shirt rolled up to my chest. I also get a pressure feeling as well. Where is your burning pains. I also get the sensation in my feet. Hope you feel better soon. It's something I have just learned to live with.

God Bless
    Tes
  4. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

Thank for your hugs and prayers, and many of the same to you. I don't usually sit at the computer very long, and have paid the price for that today but I couldn't tear myself away from reading all these messages! I have a wonderful supportive family, but coming here was like coming home. I think the armchair idea is wonderful! I invested in one of those expensive office chairs, but it just hasn't turned the trick. I do think you're burning pain is FM related Jane, because that's the only kind I've had for going on 2 years. Sounds like yours is the same, Tes. The worst of it for me is from the base of my skull down both sides of my spine, my shoulder blades....backs of my arms and tops of my forearms...my hands often get "pins and needles" for days on end, and I have trouble holding on to things. I have a couple more burning spots right in the crease beneath the buttocks, and both the front and back of my thighs as well as the bottoms of my feet. I am so sorry for your misery, but was glad to hear that I am not the only one with this different kind of pain. It gets very frustrating for me dealing with people who think I'm off sick or whatever because I'm "a little achy." I'm not an mean person and wouldn't wish this on anyone, but there are days when I wish some of them could take my body for even a week! Might give them a little persepctive....thanks, ladies. Hugs and prayers to both of you!
    Stormy
  5. toots2

toots2 New Member

No burning here, but a feeling of being very badly bruised, like I'd been beaten with a baseball bat. Toots
  6. Jan39

Jan39 New Member

I wish too that all the docs in the UK could have this for a week ,so they can get a glimpse of what we go through.I have the pain in my arms and legs just like you,its a hard pain to describe isnt it? I do think its a sign to just rest,or it gets worse.I find that a warm bath with Epsom salts helps a little,but like I say it is a sign to rest,best take some of my own advice.....(((((())))) gentle hugs Jan
  7. dizzymindy67

dizzymindy67 Guest

often i say it feels like ive been beaten with a baseball bat. hurt and very very sore. (like my spine)
  8. BlueMoon

BlueMoon New Member

A mack truck ran over you! Everything hurts everywere! Even my skin is killing me!

Robin
  9. tamara!

tamara! New Member

Well I get the "flu" pain but I also get the burning feet and hands,the bruised feeling in certain spots and a deep burning pain. I get this pain in my legs and arms,it's strange,it's kind of a achy throb that feels like what ever hurts is inflamed.Okay,if you can understand that!
    TAMARA!
  10. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

I have some burning and the numbness and tingling in my hands and feet. Most of the time I feel bruised and beaten with a mack truck, lol. Combined the 2.
    When I'm in a flare my trapezoids get so sensitive to movement that if i raise my arm the shooting stabbing pain can drop me to my knees. Same with my lats,and lower back.
    Both the insides and outsides of my legs(the whole leg) feel like I have blood clots in them and are VERY tender. Massage doesn't help this at all. I can't even be touched there. Then I have the burning thing in my chest and abdomen. It never ends does it?
  11. shell

shell New Member

Stormy,

My first post was also to ask a more detailed description of the pain and locations and got so many different responses. I have the burning aching pain along the sides of my spine and between my shoulder blades I have the sharp pain. When I sit I start feeling pains as to where my stomach folds in by my rib cage. Any compression or pressing makes it worse. Or if my boyfriend puts his arm around me... that will do it also. I also get a lot of pain tops of arms/forearms... top of buttocks / hip joints....... I have also noticed a decrease in my actual pain threshold from other minor irritations and bruises that would not have hurt me before. So achy most of the time but every once in a while the sharp stuff really grabs me like you are talking about. Take care.

Shell