KIonopin Versus Generic

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As y'all know, Dr. Cheney swears that the generic doesn't work as well as the brand name. I've always taken the clonazepam and thought it worked just fine. Recently the generic I was taking is no longer available and the one I got in its place didn't work as well. I bit the bullet and bought the brand name Klonopin and, OMG, what a difference, at least, in my case. Cheney is right.

I am paying the same at Costco for the Klonopin as I paid for the good generic at Albertson's, so it really isn't a hardship, especially considering how much better I'm sleeping.

I almost always take generics and if they work, I'm happy. This is one case where it is worth it to me to pay for the brand name.

Love, Mikie
  2. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

I took clonazepam several years ago for a short period of time. I thought when it came to meds, generics had to be identical to the precription names, but what do I know? Very interesting!

Thanks for the info, Mikie. Also, I hope you are continuing to feel better from your end. procedure and are resting easy.

Warmly, Erika
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i'll have to see if i can get medi-cal to cover the real one.

jodie
  4. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

Hi Mikie,
    This is very interesting. Now that Clonazapam is no longer covered by my insurance I will have to check on taking the real thing. Thanks very much,
    Arlene
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2006]
  5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I took brand-name Klonopin for a while at the beginning because of Cheney's recommendation. Then I switched to a generic, and it seemed to work as well.

My new thought, though, is that maybe some generics work as well as Klonopin and that some don't. I say this because there have been some weeks or months that Klonopin has worked well for me recently, and sometimes that it has worked less well. (The fact that it sometimes works well and sometimes doesn't suggests to me that it's not caused by increased tolerance as in an addiction).

I've been attributing these variation to other factors in my life, but maybe it's due to the fact that I'm using different generics at different times (since different pharmacies carry different generics, and even the same pharmacy may carry different generics over time). I think I'm going to have to do a controlled test trying the different generics that I have on different nights to see if I find there's a difference.

If so, I guess I'll have to get the "real stuff," since it's hard to request a specific generic. I'm not sure what the cost difference is on my current health care plan, but it certainly would be worth paying extra to have this stuff work optimally considering what a difference it has made in my life.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Once told me that there is a big difference between some of the generics. Even though the active ingredients in the brand names has to be identical to the generics, some of the cheaper generics don't use very high quality fillers and coatings. These can cause them not to be well absorbed into the body.

The generic made by Watson was what worked pretty well for me but a different generic just didn't work as well. It still worked but my quality of sleep wasn't quite as good and I was clenching my jaws again at night. Seems it's the seizure state which causes my jaws to clamp shut.

This brand name stuff allows me to sleep deeper and it works really fast. The first generic worked in about an hour. The second one sometimes took a couple of hours to work. The brand name starts making me feel drowsy almost right away.

Of course, we are all different so it might not be the same for everyone. Cheney is adamant about this drug, though, so he must have seen the brand name work better for his patients.

The brand name is a lot more expensive than the generics. At Costco, it's about $100 more for 90 days. Still, like I said, that's about what I was paying at Albertsons each month for the good generic. I'm not even using the lousy Part D with my insurance. It's cheaper to pay cash and buy 90 days' worth at Costco. Also, no Part D plans will cover benzos, which is rediculous.

Love, Mikie
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

For what it's worth, only one generic worked for me; not another one, not the brand name. Aren't we odd, though?

Don't answer that question...

Marta
  8. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

My scrips are filled with clonazepam.....I don't know what brand of clonazepam.

When the different brand was substituted, how did you know?

Maybe we shoud all do investigative work on the generic and post.

The brand.....the results......

The only way I think I would know would be to ask the pharmacist.

June
  9. Rebeck

Rebeck New Member

HI MIKE I HAVE TAKEN THE GENERIC FOR YEARS NOW AND IT DOES HELP ME SLEEP WITH 2 TYLENOL PM'S, I AM A NIGHT OWL, AND I SLEEP LATE IN THE MORNINGS,BUT I FEEL IT IS AS GOOD AS THE REAL THING. GOOD LUCK, BEDKYY
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2006]
  10. Rebeck

Rebeck New Member

HI MIKE I HAVE TAKEN THE GENERIC FOR YEARS NOW AND IT DOES HELP ME SLEEP WITH 2 TYLENOL PM'S, I AM A NIGHT OWL, AND I SLEEP LATE IN THE MORNINGS,BUT I FEEL IT IS AS GOOD AS THE REAL THING. GOOD LUCKY, BEDKYY
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Generics work better than the brand names. It just depends on the person and what inactive ingredients are used.

The name of the company providing the generics should be on the drug label. It may be shortened. Watson made the generic clonazepam which worked well for me. The label read, (WAT). Can't remember which generic I got last but it didn't work as well. Also, the pills themselves will usually look different when another brand is substituted.

My sleep is deeper and the brand name works much faster in my system.

I'll always try a generic as I've had good luck with them in the past but this time, I guess I'll use the brand name.

Love, Mikie

12. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I called my drug store, I am on generic by Teva, they have never changed the manufacturer since I started.

I am going to, however, switch to Klonopin next month when I get this refilled to see if my sleep improves.

After working all day and then teaching my water aerobics class, I come home relaxed, but extremely tired. We have supper, I like to sit and watch a little TV to "declutter" my mind.

It's funny, I am never too interested in the program but it stops my mind from running in overdrive. This is where the trouble starts.... I fall asleep. Somehow, I cannot get my body off that couch. So I sleep for 1/2 or 1 hour. Wake up, get packed for the next day at work, (breakfast, lunch, coffee, plus all the paraphernalia for my water class, bathing suit, towels, signs, CD player, music) and then I go to bed.

Eyes POP WIDE OPEN. Here we go again, I cannot get back to sleep.

I have tried taking the Clonazepam earlier and earlier, but timing has not made too much of a difference.

I could try going right to bed to watch TV, but I would never see my husband..... he does not talk much anyway.....

June

13. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Mikie,

Thanks for the info on the generics vs. brand names. I never knew what the difference was. It would help if the manufacturers listed all of the ingredients of the pills, like they do in foods and OTC meds. Very interesting stuff!

Bedky, I don't want to sound like I'm putting you on the spot, but are you sure it's safe to mix Tylenol PM with Klonapin? I used to take Klonapin and was told not to mix other sleep meds with it. I just want to be sure you are ok.

Wishing everyone good health and happy days ahead....and that sometime's-elusive great nite's sleep!!

Warm hugs, Erika

[ advertisement ]