Kitchen Is Done...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Well, almost :) Sun., I tiled the backsplash, which wraps around three sides of half of my kitchen, above the new stone countertop. It's only about six inches, two tiles, high on two sides but it's twice that on one side where it goes behind the stove. I put a tile border across that part at the top. The countertop is speckled quartz with black, gray, white and just a bit of terra cotta. I used terra cotta glazed tile to add a little bit of color and texture to the area and bring out the little bit of that color in the countertop.

Today, I grouted the tile and it all went well. In fact, this whole tile project has gone really well. I usually hit all kinds of snags with projects. Of course, there is still caulking and some paint touchup to do, but it's done, for the most part. Everything is back on the counters and it looks better than I would have believed it would look.

I'm tired but happy this evening.

Hugs and prayers to everyone.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm pretty stiff today; don't think I can do any kicks :)

I chose quartz because it doesn't stain and requires no maintenance. Most of these types of countertops have stone mixed with an epoxy-type of material. Mine is made by LG, the same people who make appliances and phones. Granite and marble will stain and require sealing.

I have granite in both bathrooms on the vanities. I clean/seal it all the time or our hard water leaves spots on it. It's OK for baths but I wanted something tougher in the kitchen. I never cut on anything but cutting boards and I never put hot pots down on the countertops. I take pretty good care of things. With just me living here, things don't get too messed up.

Good luck with your own countertops. Now is actually a good time to buy things because everyone is having sales.

Love, Mikie
  3. JimB51

JimB51 Member

Great !

Call us when supper's ready
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Obviously, you haven't tasted my cooking!

Love, Mikie