Kitty question this time

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by morningsonshine, Apr 10, 2008.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

How come my Cat, just the one, goes thur spells of upchucking his food immediately after eating??

This is the second time we've gone thur this with him.
    I know all cats upchuck sometimes, specially gross things like dead mice, or hairballs.

This isn't that, it's all cat food, and after every feeding, unless i remember and only give him tiny amounts at a time.

I'm feeding Purina Cat Chow indoor formula, with hairball control. It's in a green bag.

Any ideas??
    He seems healthy
  2. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Glad to see ya back! I wish I knew about the upchucking problem myself. I have 4 kitties and every now and then the same thing happens to them. All at different times, though. I have often thought that it is just because they are woofing it down too fast because it usually happens after they have been outside all day and comes in from play being ravenously hungry.
  3. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

One of mine just did that a few minutes ago! But it was from eating grass.

I don't know why they do that w food....try a Google search. I know I have a couple of picky eaters, sometimes food doesn't agree w them and I have to change brands. I usually feed Nutro brand.
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

one of our kitties (2 years old) does that. Had them at the vet the other day for their vaccinations and mentioned this. The vet says she's healthy and sometimes its a case of eating too much or too quickly but nothing to worry about.

My old cat Rosie used to be sick a lot too especially if she ate fresh food like chicken, turkey, beef - cat food agreed with her.

Sounds like he is eating too fast or too much if tiny amounts agree with him.

[This Message was Edited on 04/10/2008]
  5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Just wondering. Like others, Felix (age 6 1/2) upchucks when he's been eating grass, but not normally except for hairballs. He's a very hairy cat.

My last cat who died just shy of 14 upchucked regularly during the last few months of his life as he had cancer.

Now, this is probably not the reason, but the age of the cat might have suggest different reasons.

Just my two cents.

6. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

My kitty used to do this almost daily when we had a second cat, then weekly after the second cat died. The vet said it was due to her bolting her food (we tried buying different food, smaller food, same thing). Vet also said that a day in the life of a cat without puke, is a good day.

My kitty also had what I figured was some form of GERD - she retched or had reflux after most meals.

7. Springfling

Springfling New Member

Our cat did this quite a lot. My vet mentioned trying a cat food to digestive tracts. We bought it right at Walmart, can't remember the name now, but it said something on the bag about "for a cats healthy digestion" It was a name brand. It did the trick, she never upchucked after that. It might be worth a try. Wish I could remember the name, but she has been gone for a few years. We had her for 12 great years! Good luck!
  8. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I am a cat lover! I think I can answer your question.

Sometimes if I feed a cat a certain food they upchuck it. So I tend to be careful as to what I feed them.

I feed them Meow Mix and Nine Lives. I do not buy the special brands.

There was a recall on some of the brands of cat food that had rat poison in it. Be sure to look up recalls. It was killing cats. I'm not sure if Purina Cat Chow was one of them, but definately look it up.

I would change the food and no longer feed them any foods they might throw up on. If the change of food does not help, then I would take the cat to the vet to get the cat looked at. It could be a sign of some disease or illness.

9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Interesting that you should mention this.... At 3:30 this morning Honey deposited her dinner on my bed along with a stem from my Maidenhair fern that I've coddled through the winter. With her I know that she eats too fast, having been a stray and never knowing when she'd have more food. In fact, she doesn't often chew.

You don't say if you've had this cat since he was a kitten or if you got him as an adult cat. Also, does he graze (have dry food down all the time) or do you feed on a schedule? If you schedule-feed, it could be that he gets too hungry and gulps, like Honey.

It could also be that something in the Purina doesn't agree with him. Purina is not the best quality foods anyway. ProPlan makes a good one as does Wellness brand. Or you might try Purina Naturals just to see how it goes. Cats can be very picky eaters. :>p

Does he also eat wet food? You may find that his digestive system needs more good canned food and less dry. They're all different, just like us.

Good luck. If it continues after a change in food, the vet should be your next stop as I'm sure you know.

10. Juloo

Juloo Member

I have a 13-year old cat, and she has an 'upchuck' day every couple of weeks. I've tried to figure out what's going on, but it doesn't seem to have any direct correlation with the type of food she's eating (and she's an indoor cat, so no grass eating here). So it *is* kind of comforting that so many other cats experience this is well -- must be rather normal!

Our cat was in for her check-up just two weeks ago, and she passed everything with flying colors (and I'd told them about it, so they were looking for problems).

She's my baby!

Oh -- P.S.!
    She has the most amazing ability to find the most expensive surface to upchuck on...if there's tile or wood, she heads to the wood. If there's wood or carpet, she goes straight to the carpet! The worst thing in the world is to get up in the middle of the night and step in it because she did it right next to the bed -- UGH!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/15/2008]
  11. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

I have lived with this problem myself over the years and many cats. Here are a few things I noticed. With dry food, my cats would throw up the kinds that were multicolored. I switched to Whiska's and that fixed the problem with the dry food. I also noticed more recently, that my cat Skippy always got sick after eating salmon and then later, tuna. He might have become sensitive to them in his old age or something. I don't know, I just quit buying them. Young Scotty also got sick after eating salmon.

YOu really should check with the vet if you can't pin it to a certain food. My brothers cat was vomiting every meal, and ended up needing medical care and medicine to fix the problem.
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Certain foods will cause cats to throw up, even colorings in foods.

My old boy here, if fed purina would throw it all up. As cats age they all get kidney failure to a degree, most cats over ten for eg have only about 45-50% kidney function.

It is essential as cats age (even over seven) that you reduce the amount of protein in the food as they cannot digest it and it makes their kidneys worse.

So you should be looking for a food with no more than 32%protein for any cat over 7 ish-young cats need more protein.

Senior labels sometimes are misleading too. Even the prescription diets often have far too much protein content, which wears out the kidneys. Signs of the kidneys not coping is daily upchucking. There again, it is also a sign of the food not working.

I have found a couple of decent not expensive foods that work well for this. The one I use now is called Premium Edge Senior Cat and it is only about $6 for a big bag. It has no addtives, colorings, meal etc. If the cat is over 7 and the protein is more than 32, please consider changing it. I would like to get 28 protein, but I cnanot find one locally-we used to use Royal Canin Indoor 28 which was very good, and so filling it worked out pretty cheaply.

The Purina(dyes) made two of my cats throw up and I hate to say that as they make it here locally and it helps our local economy.

If you can afford it you may want a kidney test run at the vets.It costs about $29. My oldest cat (16) takes a daily Ace inhibitor pill (not expensive) that helps his kidney function and is keeping him alive and well.

Love Annie