klonapin/clonazepam help

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nerdieduckie, Nov 20, 2006.

1. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Hey everyone,

I know there is a lot about klonapin/clonazepam on here, but I just didn't know what to sift through, lol, so I hope it's okay I just make a new topic for some help with it.

My doctor put me on it today because I haven't been sleeping. The bottle says to take before bedtime. Should I take it directly before, 30 min. before, 1 hour before, etc.? Or is that something I'll just have to gage for myself?

Also, I'm on lyrica. I take that at night. I also take Theanine Serene before bed which is l-theanine, magnesium, gaba, holy basil leaf...and i think that's it. Will those cause an interaction? The pharmacy didn't think so but I wanted to make sure before I took it.

Thanks for your help, I think those are my only questions lol.

Hugs,
    Jen
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Klonopin is slow to work generally with the peak being reached in about 2 hours. It is generally one of the long acting benzos though. I take mine about 2 hours before I go to bed and this works for me. I found it wasn't working as well to take it later.

Kathy
  3. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Thank you :D

That should be timed easily with my other nighttime meds then.
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I really like Klonopin. It don't know that it really puts me to sleep, but it helps me to sleep more deeply and to be more refreshed from sleeping.

I think it starts working some within 1/2 an hour, although it may not get to full potency for 2 hours.

Regardless, I've found that it starts to taper off after about 6 hours.

If you intend to keep taking the Lyrica, you could experiment with taking the Klonopin a bit later (so that you will have it in your body at full force for most of the time you're asleep).

This is all trial and error. I think everybody has to find their own optimal way.

I really like l-theanine too.
  5. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Ah okay, so it wears off after a while? I noticed that with the Theanine serene. I would wake up paranoid at around 4 AM or so so I had to take it much later.

I'll keep that in mind as well. I just hate taking medication too close together so I try to spread them all out. I don't want it to lose effect while I'm trying to sleep though.
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I wanted to mention another sleep med that works very well for me. I used to take Ambien and Restoril. Restoril is similar to Klonopin.

Anyway, reluctantly, I tried Lunesta. I would not beleive it could work but it did. I go to sleep in about 30 minutes and sleep through.

They say Lunesta is pretty safe and you do not ever have tolerance where it stops working.
  7. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

klonopin's only the tip of the iceberg :p my doctor said it would probably be a long road to travel so we're just trying whatever works for now. i like the sound of how you can't get addicted to lunest(ra)? tho. am always afraid of withdrawal effects.
  8. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Well, my doctor knows i'm on the other stuff, and he seems to pay good attention to such things, plus the pharmacy said no problem, so I guess it's okay. Should I maybe skip the theanine tonight to be safe, since it's a natural supplement and not in the pharmacy's system?

i've seen klonopin talked about a lot on here so i'm excited and hoping it will help me. i'm tired of running on empty and not being of any use around here. i sure will miss my late night chatting tho LOL
  9. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Alrighty...first dose of clonazepam is in. I feel pretty trippy. It'd almost be great if I weren't afraid I'm having an adverse reaction LOL. I feel quite drugged and I bet this post won't even make any sense when I read it in the morning. But whoo. All I have to do is move my head and my eyes go swimming for a bit...but it's kinda fun. I think it's a sign I need to be in bed though.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I first started taking it, it made me feel a bit tipsy but I got over that. Now, I usually take it about 30 mins. before I want to drop off. I wake feeling alert and rested in the morning. I've been on it six years and at the same dose most of that time. I started out on .5 mgs. but had to go to 1 mg. where I've stayed. Several times, I felt that the Klonopin wasn't working quite as well and I weaned down to .75 mgs. over several months. When I went back to 1 mg., it worked beautifully again.

I just posted Dr. Cheney's article on Klonopin in one of the threads. It's an excellent article. He claims that the Klonopin will help protect our neurons from premature death. I hope he's right.

Love, Mikie
  11. footballmom

footballmom New Member

I take my klonpin and my Lyrica at the same time......usually abou 7:30 PM then I take my Ambien about 9;30....this seems to be working for me.
  12. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

I'm excited. It didn't take me 30 min. just to roll out of bed!! I don't have near as much stiffness as I did, and I feel fairly rested. I just have some lingering dizziness but that I can deal with if it means I can have a nice sleep. I honestly don't even remember getting into bed last night.

Whee!!!! I slept!
  13. 30feeling80

30feeling80 New Member

you can get much helpful info from drugdigest.org

~30
  14. mezombie

mezombie Member

You know, if it's making you really spacey shortly after you take it and dizzy when you wake up, you might want to lower your dose for a while until your body gets used to it.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/21/2006]
  15. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

If it keeps up I may do that, but the dizziness is fairly gone now, and I slept amazingly well, so I'm afraid to lower it too much because of that.

I'll give it a few days.

*excited because of sleep* I GOT SLEEP! *does happy dance*
  16. mindbender

mindbender New Member

lastnight was hilarious.

I take elavil for sleep but I don't recommend it to young'un's, because it takes a while to get used to. Although I've never taken anything else either because it worked so well for me.

I also take Lyrica at high doses. It shows me that your Dr has been doing their home work.

Now isn't it time to do yours? Now get to bed, after all it's a school night young'un.

Dan

17. mezombie

mezombie Member

I couldn't live without mine! I'm so sensitive to meds, I often shave off slivers to get to the right "dose" for me. Just a thought.

I'm really glad to hear you're getting some decent sleep. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes in the long term!
  18. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

nurkieduckie:

I take 3mg. a day. I space them out over the course of the day.

nyrofan
  19. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

Mindbender, hahaha thanks. I was hoping it would at least be amusing. I used to be on elavil and IT WAS AWFUL! I hated it, it didn't work, and I had every side effect on the list. My then doctor wouldn't take me off so I left him and quit myself. I am homeschooled so my only concern is trying to GET to bed. Normally my bedtime has been 3AM and I've been sick of that. I take 300mg of lyrica a day.

Mezombie, I don't have a pill splitter but that does soudn pretty useful. I noticed the klonopin has a split line if I have to do that. I'm still really tired today but I've been in a much better mood! I love it.

Nyrofan, I'm currently on 1 mg 1x a day. Hopefully that's all I'll need :)
  20. mindbender

mindbender New Member

I've heard.

On the Lyrica, you're on 1/3 the dose I am, but for your size and age that dose is probably perfect for you young'un's.

On the rest of the stuff I have no idea. It sounds like you're on your way to getting some relief. Sad, but only some, as we all know none of these things are a cure.

Leave it to me to put a down side on the subject.

Well, someone want's their car fixed now so I'm going. I can't tell them to shove off as she is my Mother. (she's the Boss)

Dan

[ advertisement ]