Klonopin and Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just read on the American Fibromyalgia Syndrome Assoc. website that a grant has been awarded to Dr. Don Goldenberg to test whether, in addition to helping with sleep, Klonopin (clonazepam) helps reduce pain for patients with CFS/FMS. Citing what the article said...

"Benzodiazepines work on the body's GABA receptors. The GABA system is partially responsible for inhibiting pain signals traveling down the spinal cord from the brain and out to the tissues. So, it is possible that drugs like clonazepam not only work to reduce sleep disruption, but they may also play a significant role in FMS/CFS to minimiz pain."

I had attributed my recent reduction in pain to the Guai treatment alone, but it may well be that the clonazepam is also working to help reduce my pain. My rheumy is amazed at my progress. He was under the impression initially that clonazepam is addictive. The article states that clonazepam has been found to be very safe and free of most adverse side effects.

This new study should certainly add to the knowledge of how clonazepam works for us. I know that it hasn't worked for everyone, just like everything else, but for some of us, it is a God send.

Love, Mikie
  2. idiotsinc

idiotsinc New Member

This may have something in common with the results posted on another website of using Buspar and stimulants to help with fibro. Buspar also works with the GABA receptors. It is also free of some of the addiction problems benzo's and SSRIs have. This is an area I should know more about after I get tested by a neuropsychologist March 6th. Hopefully I will find out if I'm right in believing that my fibro has a neurological basis.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I believe all FMS/CFS is neurologically based. I believe we are genetically predisposed and it just takes one or more triggers (trauma, stress, illness, etc.) to bring on our illnesses full blown.

BTW, I don't think most informed docs believe that either benzo's or SSRI's are addictive, but they certainly bring on physical dependence and both can have side effects. This is not to say that an addictive personalty cannot become addicted to them.

Love, Mikie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

So many here are on Klonopin that I want to be sure they all have a chance to read this.

Love, Mikie
  5. sevenup

sevenup New Member

Oh Mikie, thank you so much for posting the report re Klonopin. This is the only medication I have had to continue. I tried to wean off it and my script ran out on a Thursday. The pharmacy called the Dr. to get new refill but they never returned the call. As I had wanted to go off the med, I decided I had made it through the weekend, so I just tried to find other ways to get to sleep. After about five weeks, my husband ORDERED me to get Klonopin again. I was getting flared big time. So I have been back on it for about a week and am getting good sleep. Thank goodness for the sleep because my order for glucosomine and chondroitin had been delayed in the slow mail right now and I did get sore and fatigued. Have my supplement now and am quickly getting back on track. Klonopin may be a little addictive, but FM pain and fatigue is the other option. Klonopin wins out for me. Debbie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I, too, was very pleasantly surprised to discover that the Klonopin may help with pain itself. It was always thought that the pain reduction was a secondary benefit from improved quality of sleep which helps with muscle repair. I guess the new study will help shed some light on this.

I do not believe that the Klonopin is psychologically addictive, but we do become physically dependent on it. I believe in order to avoid seizures, if we decide to stop the Klonopin, it is wise to very slowly wean off of it. My rheumy was quite surprised to learn that if I miss a dose, the only effect I have is that my sleep is interrupted.

I just use it PRN during the daytime for sensory overload. I slip 1/4 of a tablet under my tongue and it mainlines right into my system. It has kept me from doing bodily harm to noisy children in restaurants on more than one occasion. Restaurant owners, not to mention the parents, frown on that sort of thing :)

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]