klonopin and sleep etc

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kd_yall, Apr 4, 2011.

1. kd_yall

kd_yall New Member

Hey, has anyone taken klonopin for cfs or sleep? It helps me sleep but it gives me a hangover of worse spaciness and bad mood, in less than standard amount (like 1/8 of a pill)

does anyone have suggestions for other things for sleep? not ssris or snris, tried many things but want something light that doesn't cause hangover, maybe some of the other benzos are milder etc?

thanks for any input!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just wanted to wish you luck. I've used Klonopin for about 11 years now for sleep. I wake up refreshed and alert as long as I don't wait too late to take it at bedtime. Hope you can find something else which will work for you.

Love, Mikie
  3. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Might be an option or have you tried a less heavy drug like Lunesta?

Some of the muscle relaxants eg Soma can help a lot with sleep too. In fact for sleep Soma works best for me to get me into a deep and restful sleep.

Be careful if and when you switch over to another med though - Klonopin needs to be tapered and crossed over very carefully as it is a potent drug.

Bunchy x
  4. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Have you gone down the "natural" route?

Klonopin works well for alot of people. Worked well for me "initially" but I became "tolerant" and it's been rrrrreally difficult coming off.

In my opinion, if I could do it all over again, I NEVER would have gone on Klonopin (if I knew)!!!!

I have SEVERE insomnia, but here are some things that have helped me:

Remeron (an anti-depressant with a high sedative effect)
    A natural supp -- "Lights Out" by Roex
    Tryptophan (Source Naturals)

I'm stilllll withdrawing from Klonopin, so I do still have this in my "cocktail."

Assuming you've tried Ambien and as Bunchy mentioned Lunesta?

As Bunchy said, lots of the muscle relaxor family drugs cause sedation.

Just make sure you read up on long-term use issues. I "think" Soma has some "liver issues" IF I remember correctly (don't quote me).

Any questions, ask away, I've been at this insomnia gig a long time......I feel ya pain!

5. Scapper

Scapper New Member

BTW, NO benzo is considered "light" -- they ALL have a tolerance issue.....meaning your body becomes tolerant of the dose and you need more to produce the same effect.

I'm not saying this happens w/ everyone (it did w/ me), but this family of drugs is known for "tolerance" problems.

Just want to keep you "aware."

If you want light -- I'd stick w/ natural -- if you haven't already exhausted this route.

6. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I agree - Klonopin is really hard to come off - I've been off for several months and it wasn't/isn't easy.

Yes none of the drugs in the benzo family are "lighter" and they all come with tolerance issues eventually - been ther done that got the t-shirt ;) - I meant something like Lunesta might be available for a couple of weeks to break the cycle of sleeplessness and from my own experience it's not so hard to come off as Klonopin.

Also agree if at all possible natural options are best - binaural sound downloads, light therapy, supplements etc.

No experience of Remeron personally but Soma works very well for me and no tolerance issues - got bloodwork done recently and no liver issues either but you need to be monitored on any drug I would think it is wise, anyway.

Bunchy x
  7. kd_yall

kd_yall New Member

thanks for input everyone
    I think I am sort of a unique case but still need to be careful
    It took me 3 years to go thru one prescrip of klonopin because I took it infrequently and in small doses, don't particularly like it but does work for one other alternative to sleep remedies.
    lately want to find a couple other things or things I can take more regularly besides K and benadryl.

Still have some rememeron from an old script could try it again it did knock me out at nite in incredibly small dose although it also made me gain 20# without even eating more. It also made me hung over next day. but so do k and bendadryl.

soma tends to lower b/p too much and can wake up like going to faint, and bothers stomach if regular.

hate being mcs!
  8. Scapper

Scapper New Member

I hear you on the side-effects nightmare! I'm ultra sensitive to meds as well, however, they just don't put me to sleep, especially low doses (quite the catch-22) when meds make you feel sick, yet you need larger doses to put you to sleep.

Doesn't sound like this is your problem, thankfully.

The good part of what you are saying (I think) is that you are real sensitive even to the sedation, which is good in a way, sounds like "natural" would be the way to go, since even small doses of meds knock you out.

So, have you tried straight natural supps???

As I mentioned:

-- Tryptophan
    -- Lights Out by Roex
    -- Calms Forte is a homeopathic -- not strong enough in and of itself for me, but perhaps might help you.....could use as an add-on.

I'm not quite sure what causes the hangover effect, since I feel so sick when I wake all the time, can't tell what's coming from where -- way too much going on.

Yeah, I go off Remeron quite a bit b/c of drug-like hunger but I seem to land back on this out of desperation for sleep.......been a long long road for me on this issue.

Let me know what you try (or have tried), as far as naturals.

p.s. Bunchy -- what are you taking now for sleep?
  9. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Soma is what I take for sleep now.

I take a small-ish dose of Valium every day too - I needed to after going off Klonopin because of the severe withdrawal effects I got when I went off. I'm slowly reducing the Valium as I can depending on how I feel. I'd like to get off everything in time - maybe one day I will be able to.

I don't find anything else apart from Soma works for me these days for sleep - in the past Lunesta worked for me but it stopped working quite a few years back and I went off it. I then tried Ambien a few years ago but that pooped out on me as well :(

If I could do it all over again, I wouldn't touch drugs from the benzo family with a ten foot pole!

Bunchy x

10. Scapper

Scapper New Member

Bunchy -- I started a new thread, since I didn't want to carry on a convo on her post.....I'm interested to hear what your experience with weaning off -- I'll title it "weaning from benzo's"

K -- please let me know what naturals you've taken and perhaps I can offer you some suggestions.

Good luck.

11. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

I am having the worse sleep problems I have ever experienced in 6 years. I am waking up every hour or every two hours. This has been going on for 3 weeks and I am desperately exhausted. I take Lunesta, Melatonin, 1/2 benadryl and sometimes 1/2 ativan and I start waking at 11:30pm..I am alseep by 10:00pm.
    It has been one of the worse experiences I have had to cope with during this illness.

Dr. Komaroff has given me trazadone but I am so sensitive to meds that the last time I took this 1/2 of 50mg I was hung over for over 24 hours and the worse part was that it didn't even put me asleep. So I am afraid to try this again although I could cut it up.
    Anyone use this? I was also given neurontin for the neuropathy in my legs (burning pain, shooting pain, pinpricks etc.). I have read that works too.

If I had to do this again I would not have started on sleeping pills (ambien or lunesta). I did try remeron a few times at 1/4 pill and still had a terrible hangover. It seems I don't take enough to make it help me sleep but end up with a day after hangover anyway...
    I did wean off from lunesta last summer but had to re-start up when I went away for a weekend.(couldn't sleep).
    I have been on lunesta for 5 years and I still almost always wake up unrefreshed even though I use to sleep very well.
  12. kd_yall

kd_yall New Member

thanks again for ideas, main thing wanted to know what benzo was considered the most lightweight altho I get it, none are beneign

sorry ktp, I have had that waking up thing more this year too, it sucks

mmmm too tired to write a lot more history right now but I have tried a lot.....natural and prescrip......the natural stuff hasnt been good, oddly melatonin is way too strong even in minute dose, it can shift me out an energized state into a more depressed one for weeks, and valerian doesnt make me sleep but it makes me drowsy and helps relax but also depression if too often and take calmes forte but dont think it does more than valerian but I dont think it depresses

I have been thinking maybe I should get the neurotin again in liquid form and see if taking a little at bedtime helps, I think I was trying it for pain during day last time 8 yrs ago and it made me feel too stupid for during day, does it put some of you to sleep without big hangover? baclofen is way too potent for me, relaxes muscles but is depressing and drops b/p too much.......

13. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

I just started taking this tonight. I am starting on 100mg and going to work up to 300mg. I have really bad neuropathy pain in my calves and I am hoping this will help with that and maybe keep me asleep along with the lunesta.

I am very sensitive to meds too so I will let you know how this works.. I really need to get more than 2 hours sleep at a time.