klonopin disturbs deep sleep? No? Yes? Your experience

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aeryn, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Aeryn

Aeryn New Member

I read Dr. Cheney's article on Klonopin (thinking of asking for it from my doc) but most authorities disagree with him and think that it disturbs deep/delta sleep.

What has been your experience?

Likewise, is anyone out there like me and have a really hard time falling asleep even if drugged. Does Klonopin help you fall asleep quickly?

A
  2. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

because I can not afford Ambien. He said it DOES promote delta sleep. I sleep pretty well on it! It doesn't put you to sleep as fast as Ambien, but I do not have tossing and turning can't sleep episodes. I take it about 30 minutes before I plan to go to sleep, get in bed and read till I'm groggy, turn off the light and then I'm out. Best wishes,
    Hayley
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It allows me to get good quality, refreshing sleep. I wake up feeling alert without grogginess. If you want the Klonopin to act faster, you can slip 1/2 tablet under your tongue and let it dissolve. You can can slip 1/4 tablet under our tongue during the day for anxiety, sensory overload, and muscle spasms. It also helps my tinnitus.

Elavil did not give me quality sleep; it left me feeling groogy and still tired in the morning and it put 20 pounds on very rapidly. On the other hand, Jelly gets good quality sleep with it.

It just depends on the individual. Klonopin is definitely well worth trying. Start out slowly on it, like half of a .5 mg. tablet. You can increase the dose, but in the beginning, it takes a little getting used to and starting out slowly helps.

Love, Mikie
  4. lone-wolf

lone-wolf New Member

Klonopin didn't work for me. I had high hopes for it but I guess my brain is really different. I took it at night and it kept me up all night, had alot of pressure behind my eyes and they got very blood shot.... much more than from not sleeping. Never wanted to try it again.

I use Ambien 10 mg, sometimes with a little Xanax. Has been working good for a year, unless I have something stressful to deal with the next day then nothing works for me. Can't take antidepressants for sleep either, my brain goes on 'numb' and I have no emotion and they make my fatigue worse during the day.

:O) Karen
  5. Dukate

Dukate New Member

Hi, I am just about to go on Klonopin. I told my Dr. I would like to try it as the sleep med. was no longer working for me. (have been sick for 21 years, tried a lot). I also read what Dr. Cheney said about Klonopin and one of the things that impressed me was that one of the things he thinks is that those of us in stage three of cfs, that Klonopin helps to protect our brains along with the other things, like sleep. Everything I have read here sounds much like what my Dr. said about beginning dosage, amount of time it takes to start working and also that different dosses work for different people. Many thanks to the person that said it helped their tinitis. My husband has been suffering from that for a long time with no relief and he is going to ask our Dr. about trying it. Thanks so all for your info.

Dukate
  6. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Hi Aeryn: Just started taking Klonopin this last week so I can't give you much to go on yet. I do, however, have a terrible time falling asleep AND staying asleep no matter what I've taken so far (Ambien, Noritriptalene, etc.). ANYTHING that helps me sleep would be a Godsend. I'll try to find this post again next week and give you more information on how it's going with me. I really seems to be immune to lots of different meds, no matter what they're for. I figure I'm just special - always a challenge!!!! Ha, ha. Hang in there and keep us updated on what's happening.
  7. MJJBunny

MJJBunny New Member

I've taken Klonopin for many many years for sleep problems. Usually I take it about l/2 hour before I want to fall asleep. It has never failed to not only put me to sleep, but keep me asleep. When I wake up I don't feel groggy at all. I'm so grateful it works for me.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/10/2003]
  8. shazz

shazz New Member

How long does it take until the next day "hangover" effect goes away? He put me on .5 and I have even cut that in half, but still the next day, it hangs with me.
    Any info?
  9. Therrell

Therrell New Member

For those of you who are taking Klonopin, Elavil, or Flexiril can you tell me how much you are taking. I went to a doctor last week who wanted me to come off everything, and take only Neurotin and Elavil. I am taking 3 Neurontin a day and he wanted to up the Elavil to 10 pills at night (10 mg.each)
    [This Message was Edited on 09/11/2003]
  10. MiahRoo

MiahRoo New Member

I recently started taking Klonopin and have had good success with it so far. I sleep wonderfully! It's very hard for me to open my eyes in the morning and get out of bed, but once I do, after about one minute I'm wide awake and refreshed. That hasn't happened to me in years! Usually it takes me around 2 hours to even get myself into the shower. I fall asleep within half an hour to and hour instead of being up all night or taking up to 5 hours to fall asleep. I've felt more energetic throughout the day as well. It's made my muscle spasms less severe and they happen less often. No clue why this med has helped that but I'm so glad it does! My severe anxiety which I've had for years and years has been much better. The Klonopin has worked even better than the Xanax I'd been on for a few years. It's longer lasting and doesn't leave me as drowsy as the Xanax. Bonus with the Klonopin as well is that when I take it it doesn't make me drowsy, but when I lay down to sleep...I actually sleep! So I take my dose in the am and the pm. I really hope this med helps some of you the way it has helped me. Best of luck to you!

[ advertisement ]