Klonopin & Elavil - Re: Mikie's Response to my last post

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerriM, Feb 4, 2003.

1. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I've seen that a lot of people are taking Klonopin. I've never tried it. I was actually inadvertently put on Elavil shortly after I became ill and I made a VAST improvement. For six months I was almost back to my "normal". STill had some fatigue but was able to work part time, drive, etc. (Later I found out I have insulin resistance which helps cause the fatigue also) While I was on that med I didn't get any UTI's or Vaginal infections (I had had vaginal yeast infections constantly before that for a couple of years) I know the Elavil was allowing me to get great sleep, but I wonder why I didn't get infections when I was on it???? Any ideas anyone? Also, my cognitive issues went away then. My brain fog gets much worse around my period and also I think when my cortisol level gets very high (lots of stress). My doctor was hypothesizing that part of the reason the Elavil was helping the other symptoms is that it raises Dopamine levels. He said I have very slow recovery reflexes which indicates low dopamine. He believes the underlying problem for a lot of us is that our neurotransmitters become imbalanced which causes the HPA Axis (Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis) not to function properly which plays a large part in immunity. Has anyone heard anything similar to this? He said another indication of this is the way I become very ill when I have MSG or Nutrasweet . . . they cause the glutamate neurotransmitter in the brain to go out of balance.

Later, as I said, my dr. put me on Ativan to see what would happen and I didn't sleep, etc. but got very wired. I am now curious as to whether I would react well to Klonopin or have an opposite reaction? I think I will ask to try it.

As always, thanks for the great information and take care! Terri
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We do all react to things differently. Some people have had an opposite effect from the Klonopin and felt wired while on it.

It sounds as though the Elavil was working for you, so I'm wondering why you didn't just stay on it. I know that for some individuals, Elavil is effective. What bothers me about it is how eagerly docs are to prescribe it and not mention the side effects. When I first took it, I though it was a miracle drug but it immediately put 20 pounds on me even though I was barely eating. Then, the doc prescribed Flexeril, which put another 20 pounds on me. This led to high blood pressure and bad lipids.

I've lost 24 pounds with another 16 to go. I seem to have plateaued, but a recent virus has kept me more inactive than usual.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

Love, Mikie
  3. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I believe it . . . I felt almost back to myself on Elavil. Unfortunately, I don't know what happened but at first it started giving me next morning sedation and I went off of it (back then I didn't know what I had or what it was doing). Anyway, definitely the stage 4 sleep I believe is what really helped.

Later, my dr. put me back on it and I was so much more sensitive (I had worked up to 10mg back then) and now I could only take about 1 mg. Unfortunately all of a sudden I became wired whenever I took it and couldn't sleep at all. I would give anything to be able to go back to taking it again! Also, once I was given a different generic version and I reacted badly . . . Dr. Cheney's article on Klonopin mentions how sensitive we are between generics/brand names & the differences. I wonder if I wait awhile & then try it again if there is any chance I could tolerate it again???? Maybe worth a shot.

Did it help with the cognitive/memory/brain fog with you? To me it would be awesome if it could work for me again . . . also for some reason I never gained weight when I was on it, but I see that lots of people mention that . . . hmmm?? I have no idea why. Also, they say people with insulin resistance gain weight usually and I didn't with that either . . . that's why they didn't think I had it at first.

Thanks! Terri