klonopin for fibro pain etc.. ? Mikie? or anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fibrobutterfly, Oct 14, 2009.

1. My dr just gave me a script for it. I thought I recognized the name and I remembered reading in the past Mikie took it. I know it is supposed to help anxiety, sleep and restless leg syndrome. My question is does it help with pain also? any side effects at first that is noticable or annoying ?
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

I can't answer about the klonopin but I take xanax which is a benzo like klonopin and Yes it does hlep in many ways. In fact it is the only med that I have taken that I can say truly helps .

I have CFS/FM so don't have horrible pain but do have deep to the bone body aches, the xanax along with ibuprophen helps as much as anything I have tired and no side effects.

The klonopin is better for you as it stays in your system longer and not as addictive , it was just to sedating for me. Then I also have panic /anxiety and for me the xanax works .

Hope it works, sounds like you have a good doc.

3. hensue

hensue New Member

It is not something to play around with though. I get it a pain clinic and does help me sleep.
    My doc said the other day a neuro had given this lady klonopin and as much as she needed during the day. He said now she is having severe problems.
    Memory loss, cognition he was going to lower my does and almost panic. My internist likes for me to have it because I also take wellbutirn sr during the day. Wellbutrin can cause seizures and klonopin can help prevent the seizures. I never take orver 1mg a day.
    If i do not sleep you really hurt so it really helps.
    I did not know until i got on this board that benzos can be harder to get off of than pain pills.
    So be very careful

Just my opinion
    Take care
  4. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Be careful of the activation time. Sometimes it takes a long time to kick in as a sleep aid, and no Klonopin is not for pain. It is actually an anti-seizure medication used by Dr.'s for adult insomnia.
    My little boy who had CP used to be given this every night to help his nervous system calm down. However, come morning he was soooo groggy it took a while to get out of his system.
    Take it a few times when you don't have any commitments the next day.
    I take ambien for sleep and my Dr. tried to help me sleep better by giving me Klonoping. What a disaster that was. It doesn't work on me Period and if after i've taken it and then been up all night and I finally do take some ambien to get a few hours sleep, it makes me have anxiety. They counteract each other. Very strange, it is probably just me.
    Good Luck,
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

well we are all different, but when I tried it yrs ago, it was horrible for me....didn't work and it did make me feel tired but wired, anxious, and a bit sick, and it totally made me feel violently angry - I didn't actually act on how I felt, but it is the only time in my life that I have felt like I truly wanted to hurt someone (and for no reason)- normally I can get angry when provoked, but not that angry, and I have NEVER wanted to physically take it out on anyone....... i cannot explain how much it made me feel like I was not myself - really scary, felt like I was on bad street drugs (or at least how I imagine that would be - I have never actually tried them)
  6. hensue

hensue New Member

He says he has more anxiety, irritable he could not take it. If I am not to wired at night it will help.

Today it is raining here in the South cant complain it is still warm. I hurt bad and cannot spell or think right today. I think most of you know the fog right?

take care
  7. I am supposed to take one at night for a wk , then add 1/2 during the day. My dr is good at followup appts to ck on meds. I guess everyone is different and it depends why your taking it. I did manage better sleep, I have only been getting 2-3 hrs a night for wks. I just don't want to be a zombie during the day as I am already exhausted.
  8. hensue

hensue New Member

What does it say on bottle? If it will help me sleep and not hurt and be exhuausted the next day I will take it.
    Let me know how you do? I use to take valuim along with it and lately because I am not doing anything and no one at my house except the dog.
    I put my ear plugs in and eventually I go to sleep.
    If you get some good sleep it will help a lot no cure but it helps.
    Let me know
  9. She didn't give it to me for pain , I was just wondering if it helps with pain. I also imagine the dosage is the difference in how it reacts with us. I am only taking 0.05 mg at night and working up to twice a day. that is a low dose unless she makes me take more. I get nervous taking a new med so last night I only took 1/2 a pill the first night to be sure no allergic reaction and now on 1 a night for a wk. I have slept some better so far.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/17/2009]
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

I know Klonopin is a benzo and I have heard a lot about them and I'm afraid to take them unless the doc tells me that it's the ONLY thing that would help me. I would rather take something like Neurotin, which I do and it helps me.

I do know that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning on Klonopin (clonazepam) and the risk of suicide and suicidal thoughts. The FDA does not recommend that people stop using this medicine. Instead, they recommend that people who take Klonopin should be watched closely for warning signs of suicide.

Benzodiazepines are central nervous system depressants, which means that they can slow down your thinking, judgment, and motor skills. These effects are usually not severe, but they are a major drawback for some people.

Drug interactions: many medicines like Klonopin (and others given for epilepsy) can interact with other medicines you may be taking. This means that your Klonopin may not work as well, or it may affect the way another medicine you are taking works. Some of these interactions can be dangerous. It is important to tell your doctor about all the medicines, herbal pills, and dietary supplements you are taking to avoid any of these dangerous interactions.

Long-term use of benzodiazepines can sometimes lead to physical and psychological dependence on the drug (addiction). If you have seizures, the use of benzodiazepines may decrease seizures at first, but some people begin to have seizures again after using the drug for weeks or months (tolerance). To control their seizures, they have to increase the dose, which tends to increase side effects. Sudden withdrawal of the drug can cause you to go into status epilepticus or may make your epilepsy worse.

If you are pregnant, there is a risk of birth defects. All medicines for epilepsy (like Klonopin)have some risk of birth defects. But the risk of birth defects needs to be carefully compared to other risks to the baby if the mother stops taking her epilepsy medicine. If you are thinking about becoming pregnant, it is important to plan ahead and talk with your doctor about the benefits and risks of taking epilepsy medicine during your pregnancy. It you are already pregnant, it is not too late. The best thing to do is talk to your doctor about your pregnancy before you make any changes to the medicines you are taking.

Other concerns re Klonopin. While taking benzodiazepines, avoid alcohol, or any other drugs that are central nervous system depressants.
  11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have been taking clonazepam for about 15 years. My doctor at that time said he liked it as it has a longer half life than some of the others so may and that is a big may be easier to get off of it.

I originally took it for RLS and now also it does calm the nervous system. I have had the dosage increase.

This has been my experience.

Something interesting my psychiatrist told me when I went for my med. check several weeks ago. He was thinking that I might want to change to Valium as it helps relax the muscles. However, I explained that it was not my muscles but more of a neurological pain, for me, he felt that the clonazepam is the drug of choice for my DD as well as the fact for me, a muscle relaxer does not help with the pain.

[This Message was Edited on 10/20/2009]
  12. I sleep sooo good with klonopin but so far I only take 1/2 of 0.05 during the day. She wants me to work up to a whole one during the day but darn I am so tired before taking it. Does anyone take it during the day also.