Klonopin for Fibromylgia?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jengus, Oct 27, 2006.

1. jengus

jengus New Member

Hi Mikie!
    I feel like you know so much about everything!! Do you know if Klonopin helps w/ Fibromyalgia? I took it long before I was diagnosed with Fibro - given to me for anxiety when I was caring for my Dad during last few weeks of his life and it helped me sleep. Just wondered if it might help pain as well.
    Thanks for all the help you give everyone!
    jengus
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thank you for your kind words. I know a little about a couple of things. I do know something about Klonopin because I researched it before taking it.

Klonopin is supposed to interrupt the pain signals in the brain and helps with pain. I believe it has helped with my pain. It has also helped with my sensory overload, racing brain, anxiety, tinnitus, and muscle spasms.

I think it helps both FMS and CFIDS.

Hope this helps.

Love, Mikie
  3. suz45

suz45 New Member

Hi Jengus:

Klonopin seems to be very helpful for many people with FMS, I think it has to do with the GABA and as Mikie said sensory overload within the brain, also can help with RLS.

The funny part about the Klonopin is that it is a medication I was taking for years for my seizure disorder, it makes the world of differnce, helped me gain control of them and stopped the nocturnal seizures I was having. Have been seizure free for a long time now. I think my FM would be worse if it were not for the Klonopin, I sleep better because of it and it regulates the chemistry in my brain. I take a high dose though due to the seizures, but it has never given me problems like some of the other anit seizures meds which always made me feel like a Zombie or made me nausea.

Glad to hear its working for you too.

Suz45
    [This Message was Edited on 10/27/2006]
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

I cannot live without it and feel it big difference when I run on my medication. I only take mine at nighttime before bed. I have been lately feeling like taking it during the day. So that I can feel more comfortable. But I am afraid of what it me do to me. I need to go to school during the day.

Hugs Jodie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Talk to your doc. Very small doses of Klonopin under the tongue during the day can actually make one more alert, relaxed, and able to focus without the drowsiness it causes at higher nighttime doses. It's best to try this first on a day when you don't need to be driving.

1/4 of a .5 mg. tablet helped my driving. The movement of the traffic doesn't cause sensory overload. I seldom have to take it during the day now, just at night.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]