Klonopin: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen728, Sep 5, 2003.

1. karen728

karen728 New Member

Recently I discovered that I had an addiction to Ambien. I was having what was called rebound insomnia, meaning i couldn't sleep unless I took Ambien every night. I wasn't able to fall asleep without the drug. Something that I used to do before taking Ambien. I've since been able to get off the drug. Not an easy task, I'll tell ya. It took about 4 nights of not sleeping at all, but I did it. Since then, I've actually fallen asleep for the last 3 weeks without it. I can hardy believe it myself. I was on Ambien for 5 years.

Now that I'm off, I'm thinking about taking Klonopin for the nights I just can't make it through. For those of you taking it, are there side affects? i've read that it's not addicting but i would like to hear from actual patients of the drug.

Your help is always appreciated.

Karen
  2. GooGooGirl

GooGooGirl New Member

I was addicted to Xanax many years ago. What a nightmare.
    Now I take Klonopin, 1 mg at night. Some here will say it is not addicting but I feel that it is. I do like it though and I find myself waiting for the time to take my pill each night. Not sure if that's bad or good. It helps me relax and fall asleep. I still wake up sometimes but most nights can fall back to sleep easily. It just gives me a very relaxed feeling but I will start slurring my words if I stay up too long after taking it. I've never had any bad side effects from it.
  3. lilah

lilah New Member

Hi KarenI've been taking klonopin for three years now. I have suffered from restless leg syn since I was a child. Looking back I've had many symptoms of Fm all of my life, but I especially remember the restless legs.
    My grandmother even asked me once who I was running after all night when I spent the night with her.
    I started out taking 0.5 and now take 1mg. I have noticed no side effects and will keep taking it until its ineffective. The nights are long when the only way to stop the pain in my legs is to walk all night.
    Try it, like you said for the nights when sleep dosen't come. I also take 400 mg of trazadone and amitriptyline, and 300 mg of neurontin three times a day,and still if I forget to take the klonopin, I walk the floor all night. Talk to your Dr.I hope you have a good one, who is willing to let youtrry something new.
    Good Luck...Lilah
  4. nancyb16

nancyb16 New Member

I am rather new to klonopin and after hearing so many persons with RLS Sleep problems getting such marvelous results I decided to ask my new Kaiser pcp for something for my RSL and she was the one to suggest I try it. Much to my surprise, and delight. I've been on it for about 12 days and I was also taking trazadone and then elavil, and both made me gain weight immediately and this was not OK. So my md suggested I try 10mg of Klonopin and use a small dose of Doxepin if I needed it. Most nights I sleep well with just the Klon, plus Magnesium 480mg and b6, and zinc, plus three advil for pain and vitamin E. So far I am doing well and sleeping all night which I hadn't been doing before. Thanks for asking and allowing me to share my experience.We are all so unique Bless us all Love Nancyb16
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Mikie takes Klonopin with excellent results, she will be here and tell you her story herself. There are many here who have good results with it also.

Some do take Klonopin along with ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6), it works wonderful this way also for deep restful sleep.

Good luck.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. NancyDrew

NancyDrew New Member

Klonopin is in the family of a large group of drugs called benzodiazepines. It is a long acting drug used to treat many things, ie, seizures, anxiety, depression, withdrawals, etc. It is much safer and less addicting than short acting benzos like Xanax.

I took Xanax many years ago when I went through a terrible divorce. I became very addicted, absorbed the stuff like a sponge. I finally had to stop and be switched to Klonopin, it helped tremendously and I take it on and off now when needed for FMS.

Klonopin is a good medication, you just need to be careful and work closely with your doctor. I hate Xanax with a passion - it's one of the most addicting drugs ever.

7. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

Hi Karen,
    It took forever to find a Doctor to prescribe me klonopin and I am with him forever, or until he leaves our area. i sleep like a baby with it. It is so relaxing and I get a full nights rest with it. I wake up sometimes a little groggy but, I did with all meds I took for sleep. Probably just brain fog anyways. It is great and if you can, give it a try.
    Love,
    Joannie
  8. Momskelleygirl

Momskelleygirl New Member

I TAKE FLURAZEPEM (SP?) AT NIGHT, BUT ON EXTRA STRESSFULL DAYS EITHER THAT DAY OR THE NEXT DAY TO COME I WILL ADD 2MG-6MG DEPENDING ON HOW RESTLESS IAM. THEN I SLEEP LIKE A BABY.

THE ONLY THING BAD IS I GET THE BRAING FOG WORSE,MAYBE FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS, SO I JUST SIT IN BED, AND LISTEN TO T.V. THEN I GET UP AND START MY DAY.

THIS HAPPENS NO MATTER WHAT DOSE OF CLONZANPE, IT ALSO HAS HAPPENED WITH EVERY SLEEP MED I;VE TAKEN. NOTHING TO BOTHERSOME, JUST A SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR GOOD NIGHT REST.
    ONCE THE BRAIN FOG GOES AWAY I FEEL PRETTY ONCE THE MYSEIFF

,GOOD
  9. karen728

karen728 New Member

Thank you for all your great responses. It does sound to me like getting my Doctor to prescribed Klonopin may not be easy. Although, anything is better for me right now other than Ambien.

thanks again,

kc
  10. Pindooca

Pindooca New Member

I was also given Klonopin to help me wean off Xanax. I used it for about 2 weeks and now am proud to say I'm free of both. I experienced no negative side effects from the Klonopin.