Klonopin or Clonazepim---which is better?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by zenouchy, Jun 27, 2012.

1. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi All,

I saw Cheney's article on Klonopin helping with sensory overload (Thank you, Mikie!), and he says that Klonopin usually works better. My insurance covers both, but the Conazepim is substantially cheaper.

Everyone is different of course, however, what are your personal experiences with these two meds? Did you notice a difference between the two meds? If I could get away with the generic, that would help my pocketbook, but if it's not going to be effective, then I shouldn't bother with it at all. :)

Thank you for helping me figure it out.

Big hugs,

Erika
  2. spacee

spacee Member

If I had all the money to spend on the meds I take, I would probably use
    the Klonopin. In fact, I did use it before it went generic. However, the Clon
    is ok for me. So, I get it and use the saved money for other meds/supplements.

I think I read that Cheney's patients are generally some of the sickest of us.
    Especially when he wrote that and maybe they would need the strongest dose
    they can get.

Does remind me of 4 women who lived in Orlando who would carpool to his
    office for their visits, stopping at outlet malls along the way. That doesn't
    sound like the sickest of the sick to me :) I had to lie down in the back
    of the van for the ride up and back.

Hugs,

Linda
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I speak of Klonopin but I take clonazepam because it's so much cheaper. Class A generic drugs have the identical formula as the original. It's only the fillers and coatings which may differ. Sometimes, generics actually work better but sometimes, the original works better. I'm satisfied with the generic but not everyone reacts the same.

Glad you found the article. Don't know why the search feature in our Library didn't find it.

Love, Mikie
  4. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Sounds like the Clona. is quite reasonable to try first. I emailed my doctor the article, so she'll have the info as well re: the brand vs. the generic. If she has a compelling reason to use the brand instead, I'm sure she'll tell me. Thanks again!

P.S. For the search, I think I typed in "Cheney Protocol", but there were too many results to know which specific article to pinpoint. I then typed in "Klonopin" and the same thing happened.

Love, Erika
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Google has all the articles in the Library listed. I did a search on "Dr. Cheney and Klonopin" and it was the first result listed.

If the doc writes the Rx for Klonopin, you may decide to go with the generic. In fact, I think that by law, the pharmacist has to tell you there is a generic available. So, the choice is yours.

Love, Mikie
  6. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

I was on Klonopin for years and then switched to a generic. I noticed no difference at all for the first couple years. Then my "generic" was a different color, blue instead of yellow, as it was made by a different manufacturer. That manufacturer's generic did not work on me! I took it for a month and called the pharmacy to ask about it. For whatever reason it did not help me so my pharmacist made a note on my chart and went back to the previous manufacturer (yellow). I've not had a problem since and I've been on it almost 10 years.

I hope you find that the generic will work well for you and save you some money!

Hugs, MicheleK
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is usually in the coating and/or fillers. Some may cause the drug not to be absorbed in the digestive system. Brand name drugs usually use more expensive coatings and fillers and are more easily absorbed.

Love, Mikie
  8. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hey girl!
    It's been a very, very long time since I have been on here and was so happy to see your posting! I bet it is soooooo unbelievably hot there right now! It's getting pretty hot here again after about a week-long break we had with the weather. We are spending most of our time in the pool, at the river or at Lake Tahoe. It is so beautiful there although the water is still quite cold. Since I am hot all of the time I can still get in and swim and my grandson is the only one so far who can stand the temp. so he goes way, way out with me and has no fear of the water! I guess he takes after his Nana and after all I did teach him how to swim. Yep I am proud. He is now almost 7 years old and still the light of my life!

I would love to hear from you and all about how you are doing!! As far as the Klonopin vs. Clonazepam, I take the Clonazepam and it is has worked wonderfully for me for years and only costs $5 a month for me! I hope your dr. can put you on it and that it works for you. I just did a post on it the other day and got some good responses and have even gone down on it! I have been off of work for a year and 4 months now and can barely believe it for it has gone by sooooo fast. My health is better and I am getting out of the house a lot, spending lots of time with family and friends. I never thought things could get this good for me mentally, physically and spiritually! I hope you are doing well and look forward to hearing from you!

So wonderful to see you here still, Love & Peace, Julie
  9. Allen

Allen Member

I thought Clonap is just the generic of Klono
    Allen
  10. Allen

Allen Member

I thought Clonap is just the generic of Klono
    Allen
  11. jc16551

jc16551 New Member

There should be no identifiable difference between generic and name-brand Klonopin.

-Dr. Dan
  12. Do you take this for fibro? Just curious, doesn't it make you tired?