Klonopin Prescribed For MS Spasms?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granmama, Nov 18, 2002.

1. granmama

granmama New Member

I know this is a FM/CFS board, but I need to know if Klonopin was ever prescribed for those with MS. I am aware we have some here with MS as well as FM/CFS.

My son called me late last night to say his doc is putting him on 1/2 to 1mg of Klonopin at night for spasms.

He mentioned his foot involuntarily will straighten out and toes will point (like a ballerina). I'm not sure if this is happening at night only. I hope it doesn't ever happen while he is driving, that could be very dangerous.

BTW, he has not been formally dx with MS yet. Doc is just waiting for lesions to show on MRI. He is seeing another doc for second opinion next month and is on a waiting list for a doctor at the UTSouthwestern Medical Center in Dallas at the MS clinic. The waiting list is 1yr long.

Many thanks for any help on this subject,
    granmama

2. granmama

granmama New Member

I know this is a FM/CFS board, but I need to know if Klonopin was ever prescribed for those with MS. I am aware we have some here with MS as well as FM/CFS.

My son called me late last night to say his doc is putting him on 1/2 to 1mg of Klonopin at night for spasms.

He mentioned his foot involuntarily will straighten out and toes will point (like a ballerina). I'm not sure if this is happening at night only. I hope it doesn't ever happen while he is driving, that could be very dangerous.

BTW, he has not been formally dx with MS yet. Doc is just waiting for lesions to show on MRI. He is seeing another doc for second opinion next month and is on a waiting list for a doctor at the UTSouthwestern Medical Center in Dallas at the MS clinic. The waiting list is 1yr long.

Many thanks for any help on this subject,
    granmama

3. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

I hope he gets some answers and some effective treatment soon. I too get foot cramps, though I find that supplements like Magnesium and Potassium tend to reduce them markedly. You might suggest that your son tries these first.
    In answer to your question, yes, Klonopin is sometimes prescribed for people with MS, (more usually Baclofen for severe spasms), but it is NOT a specific medication for people with MS. It's actually an anti-epileptic drug (in a very mild dose in your son's case), which is designed to prevent neurologic events or seizures. This may not be what your son is suffering, but the neuro obviously wants to see what happens with it.
    To further reassure you, even if it is MS, the particular phenomenon you describe is more likely to happen at rest rather than when driving.
    I do hope you get some answers soon - limboland is hell.
    Hugs,
    Marcus
  4. granmama

granmama New Member

I appreciate your concern and advice.
    So far, the meds that his neuro has prescribed for the particular symptoms of his flares "has" worked, just no confirmed dx yet.

I hope the Klonopin will help him get some rest. I did tell him it should help him achieve a deeper sleep. God only knows the man needs it with 2 daughters a year apart,
    ages 2 & 1 !!

granmama