Klonopin Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bct, Feb 18, 2009.

1. bct

bct Active Member

My doc. has just switched me from 30 mgs. Valium a day to 2mgs. Klonopin. I am to take the Klonopin bid. This seems a lot of Klonopin to me, but as doc. said, "it's replacing a lot of Valium".

Do you think this is too much Klonopin (clonazepam)? I have CFS, anxiety disorder - from the CFS --, chronic lymphocytic leukemia (no treatment), and idiopathic peripheral neuropathy for which I take Neurontin and Alpha lipoic acid.

How much Klonopin do YOU take? Please, I am a little worried about this. Please ,nobody freak me out!!!

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2009]
  2. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Don't freak...it's an average amount! I no longer take it myself but was on 1mg at first and eventually 2mg. If you are that nervous, ask your doctor if you can cut your pills in half at first, but I wouldn't suggest doing that w/o consulting him!

LISALOO New Member

I take 1 mg of klonopin, more if I can't sleep. So two isn't too bad. I actually get 2 mg and split it myself
  4. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi Barry,

Please don't freak out. The dose isn't high. I take 1/2 milligram 3 times a
    day but the bottle says I can take it 4 times a day, which would equal
    2 milligrams. There are days that I have taken 3.5 milligrams. I look at as
    something we need. Just as a diabetic needs their insulin, if the klonopin
    helps, then why fight it? For me, with a lot of stressors I may have to up
    it to 2 milligrams.

Good luck to you and try not to worry.

5. deepcanyon1

deepcanyon1 New Member

Yes please don't freak out. I have been taking 4 mg of Klonopin for 17 yrs now and I take it every day one in the morning and one late in the afternoon about 5 or so. But it is a drug that you can't just stop and now I think i will always have to take it. So Good Luck and let us know how its going.

6. I'm 31 yrs old, I have been on clonazepam (generic of Klonopin), for over 8 (?) yrs now, I have been on 3.5 mgs, in the past, but, have not been on *less* than 2mgs in all the 8 yrs of being on it. I take it for severe tremors & muscle jerking, caused by multiple illnesses, as well as, permanent side effect of *anti-depressant* medication (that put me on heart medication, also)..

As everyone else said, 2mgs shouldn't freak you out at all,

some people are very very sensitive to medications, and you'll see people on here, fortunate enough to be able to take ONE QUARTER of a milligram, (.25 mg), and sleep like a baby...

depending on the reason(s), a person is taking it, (like me, a lot of people are on it for more than one symptom),
    2. a person's body weight,
    3. other medications,
    4. duration of use in the past or present, etc..(or like you, use of similar/same class of a drug)
    5. even gender, (just like body weight- if only DOCTORS would remember that too..)

Those are just a few things that come to mind, that play a factor in how much, or how little a person may or may not need of a med.

A lot of people, and some website articles as well, will say that basically, ONE (1) milligram of Klonopin, is the equivalent of TEN (10) milligrams of valium...

I always found that comparison hard to believe, but, I'm one of those people that is very, very tolerant of a lot of different classes of meds...

Basically only anti-convulsants normally give me side effects...

not sleep meds, pain meds, anti-emetics (nausea/vomiting meds), anti-anxiety, etc meds.

I react violently to anti-depressants though, in small doses (twitching, jerking, sometimes EXTREME sleepiness- near comatose, or the opposite, wide awake, still no energy)

(I.V. meds, though, or intramuscular injections of medications, DO affect me, (pain medication, sedatives, anti-emetics), just not oral medication...

I am certainly a medical oddity, my neuro, primary doc, integrative doc, dietician, pain doc, phys therapists all agree, lol... but, on this board, I am almost *always* (ALMOST, I say, lol) validated, in that, I am at least not alone.

So, anyhow.... *by comparison*.... the 2mgs of klonopin you will be on, might actually be a 'step down', so to speak... from 30mgs of Valium, since it would be *compared* to taking 20mgs of valium, but, since it's a different drug, you probably need less of it, I hope it works for you.

Hope everyone's posts help you feel more reassured.

Best of luck,

7. bct

bct Active Member

You have reassured me and made me feel better; thank you so much for your experiences and the information you took the time to post me. I took first one this a.m. before posting, and was a bit jittery, but after about an hour and a half, felt calm and relaxed ..... at last.

Seems a different feeling than the diazepam feeling....

I talked this over with my doc. before he prescribed it, telling him what I had read of Cheney's protocol. This made him want to try it as a treatment adjunct for my CFS.

Again thanks for your replies,
  8. Bxteacher

Bxteacher Member

I take .5mg in the A.M. & 1mg at bedtime with 10mg Ambien, so I do not think your dosage is high. My Dr. said I can use more if need be, up to (6) .5 a day. I have CML ( Chronic Myeloid Leukemia), in remission, FM, RA, OA , Depression & Anxiety and take other meds as well.

Good luck & hang in there!