Klonopin vs Ativan

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by amymb74, Nov 17, 2002.

1. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I take ativan to help during the day to clear my head of fogginess, if I have difficulty swallowing, and if I get general anxiety symptoms. I also take it at night to go to sleep, but have read it can prevent stage 4 sleep & can cause long term side effects. Ativan has been so helpful in getting thru a day that I have to drive, go to school conferences, kids' sports events, shopping etc..........But when I try to stop I feel horrible (the symptoms the ativan relieves are constant & much worse)So, my question is: what is the difference between ativan & klonopin? It seems that many here take it for the same symptoms that I take ativan for. Any info. would be appreciated.............Amy
  2. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I take ativan to help during the day to clear my head of fogginess, if I have difficulty swallowing, and if I get general anxiety symptoms. I also take it at night to go to sleep, but have read it can prevent stage 4 sleep & can cause long term side effects. Ativan has been so helpful in getting thru a day that I have to drive, go to school conferences, kids' sports events, shopping etc..........But when I try to stop I feel horrible (the symptoms the ativan relieves are constant & much worse)So, my question is: what is the difference between ativan & klonopin? It seems that many here take it for the same symptoms that I take ativan for. Any info. would be appreciated.............Amy
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Both are in the benzodiazepine family of drugs which includes Valium, Halcion, Librium, Tranxene, Prosom, Dalmane, Paxipan, Centrax, Doral, Restoril, and Zanaz.

Benzos are not addictive, contrary to popular belief. If you decide to stop taking one of these meds, you will have to slowly wean off of it.

I have heard that these meds may cause depression with long-term use, but I have never heard of its happening to anyone. Mel has been taking Klonopin for quite a while and I have been on it for probably close to a year now. If anything, it helps me not to feel depressed because I am getting sleep, I have no more anxiety/panic attacks, and my sensory overload is much diminished.

I would prefer to not have to take anything, but some things just allow me to function. Long-term overfiring of the neurons in the brain will definitely cause brain damage and that is what Klonopin prevents.

Love, Mikie
  4. LindaGa

LindaGa New Member

I was on klonopin for 15 years my dose was 2mg 3x da ,I took it for panic attacks and trofinal 150mg at bedtime for sleep and pain and it worked for me .I"m thinking about going back on it LindaGa