Klonopin vs Xanax

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by justmestephd, Aug 27, 2008.

1. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

Hi everyone

At my phyciatrists office today she mentioned maybe me trying Klonopin vs the Xanax because she said it stays in your system longer. I have been on .5mgs of Xanax 2x a day for about a year.

Has anyone had any experience changing these drugs. I have read up on the drug on here but I mostly saw it referenced against valium.

Xanax works well for me so I'm not sure about switching. I don't go back to her for 2 months but I'm just trying to do some researching now.

2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I take Klonepin for RLS. The reason I wanted to get on it was that is has a longer half life so not only does it stay in your system at a steady rate, it is suppose to be easier to get off of the medication.

However, I have been taking it so long, I know the withdrawal would be awful as a lot of folks here have reported.

Klonepin also helps to calm down your nervous system.

Did your psychiatrist put you on the Klonepin or the generic? There have been reports of the generic not being as affective, however, it has worked for me.

Did she give you a plan for weaning off the Xanax while going on the Klonepin.

Take care.

3. LuvQuilting

LuvQuilting New Member

I guess the question is, "why does your dr want to switch you if xanax is working?" I've taken klonopin for several years now at bedtime and sometimes during the day if I need to for anxiety. I also sometimes use ativan if I'm doing something really stressful like having tests done. I've been happy with klonopin, it helps me sleep, but have never taken xanax.
  4. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

She isn't switching me off of it yet she asked me as I was ready to leave if I would concider switching to it because it lasts a longer time in your system. Xanax is after 4 hours it's no longer in your system so you need to take more even though I only take .5 2x a day.

Its just something she is considering but not till my next visit. I just wanted to get some input to see how it has worked with others here. I know everyone is different but I have never heard of it before I came home and looked on here.
  5. LuvQuilting

LuvQuilting New Member

Well, good luck with whatever you try.
  6. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

That's a weird thing to ask, don't those drugs treat different symptoms and work completely differently?

I take Klonopin for my severe myoclonus.
  7. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I like the xanax better. It works really great for my anxiety. Especially for panic attacks. Klonapin keeps me from crying, but doesn't work as well for my anxiety.
    Is the xanax working for you? Do you have to take it frequently ( meaning avery few hours)? Jenn
  8. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

Yes the Xanax works well. She said they are in the same drug catagory but klonopin stays in you system longer. I tell you I have lost all faith in doctors. I wish I could just have one to take care of me but everyone has their own "Speciality" but try to kill me in the process :(
  9. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

she is increasing my Cymbalta to 90mgs, I take 60 now but still have been pretty depressed lately. I won't start that for 2 weeks until my other prescription runs out I just got it filled and that co-pay is 40.00 a month. Most of my others are 10.00
  10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I was just prescribed Klonapin - "the nightime dose" is what my rheumy told me. Truthfully when he mentioned it, I'm not sure why he suggested that med. I had been sleeping better etc. Maybe its because was in severe pain during my visit, barely spoke, cried a lot and told him my husband just lost his job. Hmmm, that could be it LOL.
    Anyway, when I saw my regular doctor she said I could take it during the day it should help calm me, there fore help calm ALL of me. I remember I had told my rheumy that even my Soma wasn't working as well anymore.
    So far it works okay for me. I split my .5 's in half cause I don't want to be out of it during the day.
    Xanax knocks me out! I mean OUT.

As soon as I was prescribed it, I called my girlfriend because I know she takes it sometimes. She said it helps her a lot when she is really stressed out and having a panic attack. I didn't want to fill it until I talked to someone who had taken it. (too many rx's that I wasted money on)
  11. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

Hi Just,

I was on Xanax for quite a while and made the switch to Klonopin under my dr's advice. Here is what my dr told me:

Xanax is more addictive
    Xanax is more difficult to withdraw from
    Klonopin stays in your system longer
    Klonopin is a better sleep aide
    Klonopin can be helpful with panic attacks

I take a very low dose which I split, half in the a.m. and half in the p.m. I had no problem making the switch. The Klonopin helps me sleep much better and keeps my panic attacks and anxiety under control.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

p.s. I'm on generic Klonopin

[This Message was Edited on 08/28/2008]
  12. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I tried cymbalta with no results at all. Now I take celexa. Good luck. Jenn
  13. kellyann

kellyann New Member

The generic version cost me less than $5. And that must be how much they cost because my insurance didn't pay on that RX.

They help me with anxiety and stress if I only take one, I have the one for helping you sleep. i have heard they are like valium I don't know if it is true.

14. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi. I've been taking klonopin 1/2 mg twice a day since being diagnosed 8 years ago. Sometimes on a stressful day I may take it 3 times. Going through a rough patch now, (divorce, empty nest syndrome, trying to sell my house, etc.) and my dr. suggested taking 1/4mg of xanax at bedtme. Well, I must be the only person in history who had the reverse effect. It totally made me jumpy, heart racing, and I just couldn't calm down. Tried it again another time thinking it was all in my head and the same thing happened. So, no xanax for me.

I was always taking generic Klonopin but just this time I asked for the brand name. It only costs me 5 dollars more a month so I figured I'd give it a try. No real difference.

Good luck to you. If you don't like the klonopin you can always go back to the xanax if you feel the need to switch.

15. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I ran a Fibro support group for ten years. If asked to pick the one drug that seemed to help the most people in my group with the most symptoms, I would unhesitatingly say it was Klonopin. It not only helps insomnia and muscle pain but it seems to ease the overstimulation problem better than any other drug, probably because it has anti-seizure activity.

However, one caution. If you've ever had a reaction to any drug in the quinine family, do not take Klonopin. I found this out the hard way, when only 1/2 of one dose almost made me stop breathing.

For that reason, I take Xanax, and am very dependent upon it. I've withdrawn from it four times to see if I could do without it, which took months each time even at the low dose I take. My pain came right back, so I no longer even try to get off it.

A psychiatrist I talked to told me it runs out after five hours, so it's best to take 1/2 pill every five hours, instead of a whole one every 8 hours, which is a lot of pill taking to keep track of. That way you're less likley to have rebound panic or withdrawl symptoms.

Because I do not want to keep asking for higher and higher dosages, I live in a constant state of "tolerance withdrawl", which is a lot like the feeling you have when you are about to go out on a stage and speak in front of 1,000 people. It's awful. I have to take two other drugs to help me handle the overstimulation problem.

If I had a choice, I'd definitely pick Klonopin.

16. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have been taking Xanax for "many" years. I take half pills ( of the 0.25) three-four times a day--this way it stays in my system all day long. It really helps my anxiety and keeps the adrenalin level down (I have a history of tachycardia--racing heart).

I did try Klonopin a few years back and it did the opposite effect on me--just like Rene wrote. I got more excited--I even got jumpy and mean to people.

After going back on Xanax--I felt the calm again.

Everyone is different and you have to find which drug works best for you!
  17. justmestephd

justmestephd New Member

I guess when she does switch me over I will try it and see how it goes and she said we could always switch back. At my last Rhumie visit I told her we had to find other stuff to try to help me manage this pain and she finally gave me some Percocet. Would never give me anything like that before but I have been in so much ba bad bad pain.

So she said if I took the Percocet not to take the Tramadol, I didn't think the Tramadol was working but I can feel a difference without that drug.

I just wish we would all feel better!!!!

Thank you again for all your input!
  18. spacee

spacee Member

Have for 20 years...to each his own. I take the generic klonopin at bedtime..which tends to "wake me up". So the xanax is to help me fall asleep.

Klonpin 1mg xanax .5mg

ALSO...IMPORTANT. YOU don't have to get off xanax to get on Kloopin...they switch out gram for gram (or half gram for half gram..you get the idea.)

19. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have been taking Xanax for over 22 years off and on. I have not tried Klonopin, but lots of people swear by it.

If I have a flare I will put the Xanax under the tongue, and take an Advil Gel Capsule, the Xanax inhances the pain killing effect of the Advil, works wonderful. Xanax also helps me sleep, along with ZMA (Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin B-6). Great stuff.

I would stay with the Xanax if it works for you (if its not broke, don't fix it:). I understand Klonopin is also for sizures, that I do not get.

I have not been addicted to them, have had no problem getting off, but we are all different.

Klutzo, is that you?? if so, welcome back!

Shalom, Shirl
  20. hensue

hensue New Member

Most of the time that works unless i am really upset or if i am having a painful night i wake up all night go back to sleep.
    Love the drug wish i could take it all the time. It is about the only thing that helps me. I will not take more than 1 mg every night. I have pain dr who told me he had lady who started losing her memory. She was being given klonopin all through the day and night. So i only take it at night. If it is a goood night. Then i only have to take half. i take 5 mg valuim.
    That is it at nightime.