Klonopin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mamaeagle0103, Apr 25, 2006.

1. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

Hey, I just added Klonopin to my arsenal and wanted to hear from others that take it to help with sleep and in particular RLS. I took the whole .5 mg dose because I usually have an extremely high tolerance to meds. This stuff seemed to really kick my bottom!! I do not know if it was just because I hadn't slept in 3 days, or if it is always going to be that strong. I have Tranxene 7.5 mg, which is another benzo, and taking two of those couldn't touch the one .5 mg Klonopin. Just wanted to know if it hit others that strong? Thanks for the info, first drug to actually knock me out!!!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Search on Klonopin in title and you will find a lot of our posts on this, including Dr. Cheney's article on Klonopin. It has been a God send to me but right now, since I have been improving, I am trying to wean down or off of it.

Love, Mikie
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

but i have been finding out that i have had to up the anty tto .10 mgs...at first five was working...but know it isnt'...

so i have to call dr i just started it last week...so i just ahead of you...

jodie
  4. matthewson

matthewson New Member

As far as I remember, I think Klonopin is the strongest benzo. Someone with more experience with it could probably tell you for sure. I have found with the benzo's that at first they knock you out really strongly, but then you do develop a tolerance to them and they don't work as strongly as the first time.

Take care, Sally
  5. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

Man, I do NOT want to get my hopes too far up, but after only two nights on Klonopin I am sleeping like a baby. I do still wake up feeling like I am severely ill, but I am not tired on top of it. I am still in a lot of pain but it is so much more manageable when you are not so tired you could just fall where you stand. I am very happy today for the first time in a while. I actually have a sense of hope again. I took .5 mg of Klonopin around 7:00 pm and by 10:00 pm I was ready for bed. My RLS has been non exsistant for 2 nights now. A record for me!!! And, yes, it did not hit me so hard last night. The first night must have been due to the severe lack of sleep. My body already wanted to crash but with the severe RLS it just couldn't. And the longer you go with no sleep, the worse the RLS is. Vicious cycle, ya know!!! Again, I do still hurt terribly, but that in and of itself is so much easier to deal with when you are not completely exhausted!!!!
  6. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Yea!

Congrats to you for finding something that works! Coping is a heck of a lot easier on a good night's sleep.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  7. mamaeagle0103

mamaeagle0103 New Member

My biggest gratitude right now is that I do not have the sedative "hangover" that I have gotten from every other med I have tried. What is the sense in taking something to help with exhaustion when it will leave you feeling just as tired the next day? This has not done that so far. I take care of my 3 and 5 year old all day and need my energy!! They do not slow down for me!! I love them so much. They are truly a blessing and, maybe soon, I will be able to do more with them. I am hoping the better my sleep, the better my symptoms will be. From all of my research on FM that is one of the biggest keys. GET SLEEP. But when you have been suffering from RLS since puberty you kind of give up hope of that ever happening. Well, not only has it happened, granted only two nights, but I have hope for more. Even if they aren't consecutive!!
  8. Five0

Five0 New Member

I WAS TAKING CLONAPIN FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS TO HELP ME SLEEP. THEY WORKED AT FIRST, BUT THEN THEY STOPPED WOKING. I FOUND MYSELF TAKING ABOUT 3-4 ANIGHT BEFORE SLEEP AND SOMETIMES THAT DIDN'T WORK. i NOW JUST TAKE VALIUM AND AMBIEN TO PUT ME TO SLEEP.
  9. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

they are one in the same. I am in the process of weaning off this drug. I am down to .25mg, was up to 2 mgs. I took it for about 3yrs and at first it was awesome, but slowly over time it lost its effectiveness and I had to increase. I noticed it was starting to work against me so I am almost weaned off with no side effects.
    Hope you don't need to increase and it stays effective for you!
  10. libra55

libra55 New Member

last month. My doctor started me at 1mg and it conked me out so well that he immediately reduced it to .5mg, and that's what I'm still on.

It's the best stuff I've found so far. I get a good sound sleep with no morning hangover whatsoever.

I hope it continues to work.

Michelle
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Some will be able to take the same dose for years and others will build a physical tolerance and have to increase the dose.

Klonopin has allowed me to get good, restful sleep and I believe that is one of the main reasons I have been improving. It has also helped with racing brain, tinnitus, anxiety/panic attackes, and sensory overload. It is one of the most effective meds I have ever taken. I wake with no hangover at all.

Because I have been getting better, I have decided to wean down on the Klonopin if I can. Dr. Cheney has said that none of his patients has had a problem weaning off of it when it is no longer needed. If I still need it, I will know and will go back on it as I believe it protects the brain's neurons from premature death.

I'm going really slooooooowly in hopes of success at weaning off.

Good luck to everyone with this med.

Love, Mikie