klonpin anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by freeatlast37, Dec 27, 2005.

1. freeatlast37

freeatlast37 New Member

I am considering klonopin, has anyone had any success or disasters with this drug, I have migraines and fms. thank for the info
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

People I have known who are bi polar have had some reactions to this-called it a horse-tranquiliser it so knocked them out so be careful-most I know only took it once or twice due to feeling so drugged. Cromwell
  3. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I took my first dose of it last night. 1/2 pill. My prescription is for 1/2 to 2 pills as needed for sleep. Slept well and am not groggy today. What are you considering using it for? I know that it is an anti-seizure med that is often used for other things as well.
  4. gabdeb

gabdeb New Member

I take 1mg at night before bed. it helps me sleep.
    deb
  5. peachbunnee

peachbunnee New Member

It's done wonders for me with sleep and anxiety.

When I first started it, it did make me pretty doped - but after my body adjusted to it I was fine.

hope this helps

peach
  6. Empower

Empower New Member

I take it on occassion for sleep and it does work

Leaves me a little groggy in the morning

However, it gives me headaches!

PS - how did you come up with your code name?
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

One should start out at a very low dose on it and build up. Otherwise, it can feel like a horse tranquilizer.

Do a search here on Title and it will bring up all our posts on Klonopin, including Dr. Cheney's article on it in several of my old posts. If you want, you can click on Library and do a search on Cheney. His article on Klonopin is on page 3 of the list of his articles.

Love, Mikie
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I used Klonopin for anxiety. Be careful if you try it, take a very small amount the first time to see how you react to it. It is very strong. My doctor said it is like the old drug Valium but about ten times stronger.

Klonopin is a very good drug but I also suggest you do a web search and read problems others have had. I don't know if I would use it for pain relief. It is more for anxiety and to help sleep I think??
  9. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

It was prescribed for me to add to my nighttime medicines for sleep. It has been one of the medicines that has helped me. I hope it helps you. I've seen several post on this board about Klonopin & everything has been positive.
  10. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I took it for the sensory overload too and it worked great for me and also helped with the awful PMS.

I have been off it for about 3 months and am suffering terribly with lack of sleep and pain right now. I made an appt with my rheumy for next week to get back on it and I pray that it will cure what ails me because I was doing rather well.

Sonya
  11. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

asking my Dr. for it too.
    thanks everyone for your input!
  12. Bambi

Bambi New Member

the Pain Associations about a drug called Risperdal. So, as I usually do I went to do a search about it. I came on a site called The Truth about
    Risperdal. So I opened it and read some pretty scarey side effects you can get both while taking it and getting weaned off of it. They also had several other medications on there including (from memory and in Alphebetic order, not all, just a few) Ativan, Cymbalta, Elavil, etc etc and Klonipin was also on there along with the Trazadone I take for sleep and the Ambien my daughter uses. It had Zoloft, Wellbutrin and others also.

It was NOT a pretty picture on any of them, and I went on to some other sites that said the same things. Very scarey about all of them. I think maybe we should all be doing more research into the newer studies coming out on the antidepressants, sleep aids, antianxiety meds etc.. They are finding out more and more about all of them and in some cases it's not good news.

I of course think everyone should decide for themselves after they look them up, but do do a thorough search and not just where the drug company or those prescribing them have sites.
  13. freeatlast37

freeatlast37 New Member

I use this name a lot, it comes from the song, free free Im free at last, great God almighty Im free at last, I had it by DC Talk. I was raised in the church but when I was 37 I rededicated my life to the Lord. I am now 43, So freeatlast37 is the name I always use.
    I will be using klonopin for fms and migraines, just another drug in a long list that I probbly wont be able to take.
  14. susabar

susabar New Member

In addition to allowing me to sleep, it also keeps my anxiety in check. I think it is the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to me !!!
  15. busybusymom

busybusymom New Member

I am EXTREMELY med sensitive, but I am now taking 1.25 mg/day for anxiety AND sleep. When I first started this years ago, I could only take a 1/4 of a 0.5 mg pill, and I would feel the effects, just more relaxed. I would probably still be considered to be taking a low dose.

I do not agree with PVLady's doctor that Klonopin is stronger than Valium. My aunt got hooked on Valium and was on it until the day she died. Klonopin can be addictive (any drug that makes you feel "good" is addictive - if I had to go off Klonopin today, I could), but my psychiatrist (who I trust impecably) says that it is an easy drug to get off of, just don't do it cold. There are days when I forget to take the extra 0.25 mg, and I have no adverse reactions at all.

I also have migraines, but I have CFS. I don't think that it helps with the migraines, but the chiropractor I am seeing is helping with them. I don't think it will help with your FMS pain, but you never know. I get really dizzy (pretty much have it constantly - have for 5 years), and the Klonopin seems to help somewhat with that and the "fogginess."

Good luck!

Jennifer
    [This Message was Edited on 12/28/2005]
  16. Wreckless

Wreckless New Member

Klonopin has been an absolute miracle drug for me. I started out on 2mg at bedtime and my rhuemy said I could increase it to 4mg if need be, but that has not been necessary.

Since taking Klonopin about a week and a half ago, I have slept better than I have slept in 20 years. I forgot what it was like to fall asleep and not wake up until morning. I have suffered no ill side effects and have not found the drug to give me any feelings of uphorea like one might feel with valium or other depressants.

I realize that is not much time to evaluate a drug, but so far it is the best thing I have taken. I have tried Cybalta and trazodone and both had to severe of side effects and minimal results.

I hope this helps.

Wreckless
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It may disrupt the pain signals in the brain. The longer one takes it, supposedly, the better it works for this.

For me, sleep has been the number reason I take it. A close second reason is a tie for the anxiety and sensory overload.

I find it helps with muscle spasms and tinnitus as well.

If Dr. Cheney is right, Klonopin protects the brain's neurons from premature death due to seizure activity which Klonopin addresses. Valium is also in the benzodiazepine family but it is a tranquilizer and Klonopin is an antiseizure/antispasmodic drug.

I think my healing got a big boost when I started the Klonopin and I started to get quality sleep.

Love, Mikie
  18. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

I have been using Klonapin for about 8-9 years and it does wonders. I no longer have panic attacks. It helps with stress headaches. Helps with sleep; a little because I have been on it so long. I take 2mg once in am and 2 mg at night. The only issue I have with it is that I know I can't quit anytime I want to without going through major withdrawls. But it is suppose to be easier to withdrawl from than xanax or valum due to it's longer half life. But my Dr. or I see no reason to stop taking it; at least at this point in my life as it's benefits far outweigh it's side effects(have none) - Thanks, Bobbby
  19. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I still maintain that addiction depends on the person. I smoked for 20 years and stopped cold turkey with no withdrawal, but others I know could not. I do know that some people are genetically predisposed to addiction, for example, someone whose parents are alcoholics are more likely to be alcoholic.

I was on .5mg of Klonopin for 3 months and then ran out while out of town and found my doc would not prescribe more until he saw me. So I went off cold turkey and stayed off for 3 months before going back on.

I think it is different for different people. Klonopin has had fantastic benefits for me.

Sonya
  20. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I've been taking it for about 4 years now and don't think I could live without it.

The only time I had to increase the dosage (and it was doctor's orders) was when I felt like I was having a breakdown and needed a longer term "mental relaxer".

As a rule I take 1mg at night and that's it. It stops my brain from worrying about everything when I get into bed and allows me to sleep. Trust me, that is good for me since I'm a chronic insomniac and have been since I was a kid.

Hugs,
    Tigger