Klutzo, a question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Aug 10, 2003.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

What is NAC, what does it have to do with glutathione reserves, and why is this important for those of us who take daily acetaminophen (tylenol)? I read your comment about this in one of your responses in your post about thyroid meds and allergies.

Sympathies about the fire ant allergy. They are nasty little things!

Thanks,
    Beth.
  2. kgg

kgg New Member

NAC is a precurssor to making glutathione. So, it helps build up glutathione levels. Glutathione is supposed to help with the health of your liver. Tylenol is not friendly to your liver. I'm sure Klutzo will expain it better and more succinctly but thought I'd try.

-Karen
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Karen did a great job of explaining it!
    NAC stands for N-Acetyl-Cysteine. Glutathione is a very important anti-oxident, which is depleted by taking acetaminophen, In additon, it has been proven that CFS patients are deficient in glutathione. Your body can make it from vitamin C, but if you are taking Tylenol, it won't be able to keep up, and besides you need to compensate for the deficiency we already have. Just one NAC capsule daily is supposed to do the trick.
    Klutzo
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

I may start taking this stuff, since I take darvocet and/or tylenol daily. I'll ask my NP for a liver panel work up first, though, so I have a baseline to work from.
    Beth.