Klutzo and Mikie......BP Meds and Diet

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen2002, Oct 27, 2002.

1. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Thank you both for your suggestions! I am taking clonidine presently Klutzo. I have been on it for two years, now. I, too believe, my blood pressure woes, heart disease, and high blood pressure is genetic. My father, paternal uncle, and my only sibling, suffered and suffer from heart disease, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure. All but my sister were of slight build, so I don't believe obesity contributed to this either. Modified diet did not improve the condition for any of them (I have not attempted it.) That being said--I have found that the clonidine's effectiveness is wearing off too fast after dosing. My doc, had me on it, only .01mg in the morning. Perhaps I need to jump up to double day dosing, and check the results. Good Gawd--I certainly don't want to stroke out--and become a huge burden! lol, I am already a huge pain in the butt :)
    I really think the high protein diet would be benificial in hitting all those above mentioned problems, any improvement in BP, Cholesterol, and cruddy arteries would be a plus--but I am very hesitant about doing anything to stress my kidneys more. I have had chronic kidney problems since I hit my teens. Currently I have a golfball size, renal mass on the upper lobe of my left kidney, perhaps affecting my adrenal (more tests underway), and stones in both kidneys. Chronic infections since I was 13 yrs. old (every 2-3 months) have left them in less than perfect shape. I guess I could try this diet, if I kept a close watch on renal function--making sure I wasn't compromising it. Beside that I have the candida thing going on---in my gut because of the lifelong antibiotics---so maybe this would be another way to starve them off.
    Thanks so much, Klutzo, and Mikie, I really appreciate your input!
    Karen
  2. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Thank you both for your suggestions! I am taking clonidine presently Klutzo. I have been on it for two years, now. I, too believe, my blood pressure woes, heart disease, and high blood pressure is genetic. My father, paternal uncle, and my only sibling, suffered and suffer from heart disease, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure. All but my sister were of slight build, so I don't believe obesity contributed to this either. Modified diet did not improve the condition for any of them (I have not attempted it.) That being said--I have found that the clonidine's effectiveness is wearing off too fast after dosing. My doc, had me on it, only .01mg in the morning. Perhaps I need to jump up to double day dosing, and check the results. Good Gawd--I certainly don't want to stroke out--and become a huge burden! lol, I am already a huge pain in the butt :)
    I really think the high protein diet would be benificial in hitting all those above mentioned problems, any improvement in BP, Cholesterol, and cruddy arteries would be a plus--but I am very hesitant about doing anything to stress my kidneys more. I have had chronic kidney problems since I hit my teens. Currently I have a golfball size, renal mass on the upper lobe of my left kidney, perhaps affecting my adrenal (more tests underway), and stones in both kidneys. Chronic infections since I was 13 yrs. old (every 2-3 months) have left them in less than perfect shape. I guess I could try this diet, if I kept a close watch on renal function--making sure I wasn't compromising it. Beside that I have the candida thing going on---in my gut because of the lifelong antibiotics---so maybe this would be another way to starve them off.
    Thanks so much, Klutzo, and Mikie, I really appreciate your input!
    Karen
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't think it's the fact that my diet is high protein as much as it is low carb. It's the carbs which cause the problems with B/P, cholesterol, triglicerides, obesity, insulin resistance, and eventually diabetes. If it were me, I would cut out all carbs except those which are in fruits and veggies and I would not eat a lot of protein. As long as you do not let yourself go into ketosis, you should be OK. You can buy test strips to test for ketosis (see Dr. Atkin's website), but it is obvious from the smell of one's sweat and breath when ketosis sets in.

Skip the sugar in any form, processed foods (which are always high in sodium too), anything made with flour, white rice, and white potatoes and see what happens. You can have a normal serving of meat, fowl, and fish along with lots of veggies and some fruit. Salads are great. Cinnamon and celery are very good for Syndrome X symptoms. Suzanne Somers says it is important to eat the fruit by itself on an empty stomach and to wait at least 20 minutes before eating anything else. If you do not have any weight to lose, a little serving of pasta or a tad of bread occassionally would be OK.

In any case, ask your doc before starting any diet to get his opinion. Good luck.

Love, Mikie

4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

You know that makes great sense Mikie....
    It seems I have that viscious craving cycle going on...with the Carbs--and Sugars!
    I think your suggestions are great--and I may experiment a bit with them. I know that my diet (meaning my eating habits) currently....are having a detrimental effect on my health. I am having problems with appetite, and nausea, and it seems the foods that are most bland, are potatoes, rice, etc. I think I am doing my health a disservice by consuming these only. Thanks so much---I will let you know how it goes :) Karen
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, comfort foods like potatoes and rice are sooooo inviting, but the fact is that almost instantly they raise the blood sugar to dangerous levels. Then the insulin is released in great quantities to deal with it. This can only go on for so long until the body becomes resistant to the insulin and that's when the trouble starts.

I have a very vivid imagination and when I started to visualize what is going on in my body, it made my decision clear to me. My therapy is also helping me to rescue myself from anything which causes stress and illness.

I believe that if we had video simulations of what occurs in our bodies when we smoke, eat sugar, burn the candle at both ends, and drink heavily, it would be most helpful. It would also help to meet people suffering from all the illnesses our American lifestyles produce.

I quit smoking after my Dad died from a heart attack brought on by emphasema and alcohol. He smoked heavily all his life, even after knowing he had emphasema, and he was a doctor! The habits we develop are sooooo hard to get rid of.

I worked with Medicare age people, many of whom had not stopped the Syndrome X downward spiral before it was too late. One sat on her sofa all day wearing diapers because she was so obese she couldn't get up until her home care worker arrived. She cried as she told me how embarassing it was for her home to be so unkempt and for her to have to sit in her own urine smell. She said she used to be an attractive woman who kept herself up. She felt as though no one wanted to be near her. All I could do was to give her a hug to reassure her. It was truly heartbreaking to see so many older people with these problems.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic here nor trying to scare people. I'm very optimistic because I know the positive effects that a change in diet can produce if done before the damage is irreversible.

Good luck, Karen. We're all here for you.

Love, Mikie
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I agree with Mikie's diet recommendations. Eat fresh fruit and normal (4 oz.) portions of protein, and you should not have kidney problems. The following are fruits that turn to sugar slowly: apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, plums, cherries and grapefruit. You can usually enjoy these a couple of times per day without worry.
    Ask your doctor if you can take the Clonidine more than once per day. My cardiologist told me there are people who metabolize it slowly and only need one dose, average people need two doses, and people like me need it three times. It always seems to wear off after 8 or 9 hrs. with me, and I was getting bad rebound problems. Since I started taking it three times per day, I have had the added bonus of NO panic attacks, since it is an alpha blocker. Rebound can be more dangerous than no BP med at all, so please call your doc. Good luck,
    Klutzo