klutzo, how much vit B do you take?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sb439, Apr 21, 2003.

1. sb439

sb439 New Member

Hi, in your reply to the recent vit-B post you say you take mega-doses of it, and it increases your energy. How much do you take, if you don't mind us asking? (I'm always afraid I may take too much, hence the question.)
    love,
    Susanne
  2. klutzo

klutzo New Member

When you say "vitamin B", I assume you mean B Complex, since there are many types of B vitamins.
    I used to take between 3,000 and 6,000 times the RDA of most of the B's. I took a multi-vitamin that I loved, called Synergy 2000, which had all the B's in it in those large amts.
    Now that I am on the Guaifenesin protocol, I have to take a cheap vitamin in order to avoid botanical extracts, and I am only taking 100% of the RDA.
    I am getting away with it so far, and I think it's because my diet has also changed to high protein/low carb, in order to control my hypoglycemia, which is a requirement on the Guaifenesin protocol. Inthe eraly months of the diet, the extra protein caused my kidney tests to be slightly abnormal, so I am am now eating low carb with average protein amts. and making up the difference with even more veggies. With all the veggies I'm eating, I probably don't need as many supplements. In fact, I expect my ears to grow long and my nose to start twitching at any moment!
    The only B vitamins you need to worry about overdosing on are B3 or B6. High amts. of B3 are OK if they are in the form of Niacinamide, but plain Niacin should not be taken over 100 mgs. daily without a doctor's supervision. I am so sensitive to it, that even 100 mgs. of plain Niacin will make me flush and burn unbearably. Vit.B6 in doses over 175 mgs. daily can cause nerve damage, so don't ever go over that amt.
    Hope this answers your question. Generally, I feel FMSers need about 3 times the normal amt. of B's, but everyone is different. It depends on your weight, diet, stress level, etc.
    Klutzo
  3. sb439

sb439 New Member

most helpful, didn't know about the B6 and B3 toxicity, and could easily have overdosed with my B-complex. You are so learned.
    Susanne
    ps: when your ears have grown long and your nose started twitching, will you put a photo on your profile?
  4. selma

selma New Member

5. tansy

tansy New Member

I dropped my b6 levels years ago since I have a lot of neurological symptoms.

About four months ago my GP asked whether I was taking this because some of the problems I was experiencing have been put down to too high doses of b6.

It actually made me remember why I was put on it by a doc years ago so I upped my b6 by 50 mgs a day and it has helped.

Clearly you need to keep all vits etc within safe limits and be watchful for any adverse effects. Alongside magnesium and Zinc it does aid sleep.

Cheers Tansy

I do also take NADH and sublingual methylcobalamine (b12) and these do seem to help.
  6. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Sublinqual B/12...1 milligram or 5 milligrams?

Tansy or Klutzo,

I have just read, recently, that the B/12 (oral) is as easily assimilated as the injectable form..It was in the book, Nink recommended, Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine.

This flies in the face of what I had heard, previously..that the Injectable was the best way to go..

Any comments from Klutzo or anyone would be highly appreciated..

~~Amelia~~
  7. sb439

sb439 New Member

but one way to clear up the apparently contradictory information is that if your guts function normally, they do absorb b12 well, but when your guts don't function properly (as is the case with most CFIDS and FMS people) then B12 isn't absorbed so well. (And then there is the sublingual form, of course, did the book specify whether both sublingual and other B12 are equally well absorbed as the injections?)
    Susanne
  8. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

The much preferred mode of taking B/12 is the sublinqual route, and is the methylcobalamin type for our DDs..rather than thru the gut (which would bypass our guts, and make the point, moot) but the oral, overall, is as effective as the injections..for the majority of the population...

This book says that physicians have been eroneously miseducated in this subject, and therefore, develop a bias that has no substance in fact...

Is this book, correct, is my question? It came highly recommended as a great source for naturopathy...And the injectable can be a great financial incentive for many money hungry physicians, which has been known to happen..

~~Amelia~~[This Message was Edited on 04/21/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/21/2003]
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Susanne - I'd love for you to see my cute little pink nose and fluffy cotton tail, but unfortunately, I have no scanner...boo hoo!

Plantscaper - My first question to you in attempting to figure whether you need sublingual or IM vitamin B12 is what is your nationality background? Most people can use the oral, and if they take enough, or if they use naturally high sources of B12, like Spirulina, they will eventually absorb enough.
    However, if you have a low blood level of B12, and you are of Celtic ancestry (Scots, English, Irish or Welsh), I would suggest having your doctor run a Reticulocyte count, if he/she hasn't already, to make sure you do not have Pernicious Anemia (PA). PA affects one in every 1,000 people of Celtic extraction, usually starting in middle-age, and developing slowly. You should go off all supplements that have folate in them, and nix your fortified cereals too, for at least a week before having your B12 level checked, as folate can mask a B12 deficiency. PA must be treated with injections of B12, usually several in a row, followed by once-a-month for life.
    Why do I know so much about PA? My mother had it,and it contributed to her death. When I first had Fibro, I insisted they check me for it, but my B12 level was almost too high, and my folate level was much too high, which is a strain on the kidneys, so they told me to take less of my supplements.

Hope this answers your question. Klutzo
  10. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

American, but come from Scotch-Irish descendants and part German, too.. but had no idea that made a difference..

During my periods, I always seem to get anemic, when they are really heavy..so I usually take some iron supplements..However, now going through perimenopause..So, periods have been "crazy", scant one month and 21 days later, was extremely heavy..

Does that have a connection to pernicious anemia? I haven't had any tests run on the B/12 level, but Dr. Cheney indicated that you could have a normal blood level, but not high enough brain B/12 level...

I live in Colorado, in which, I know we have some naturopath..one of which went to the Naturopathy School in Portland, Oregon...

~~Amelia~~[This Message was Edited on 04/22/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/22/2003]
  11. tansy

tansy New Member

I take 5mg and also folic acid.

I was told by a heamatologist that taking methycolblamine would not work, I got into my usual mess when trying to explain things upon which I had no notes.

I cannot afford to take anything I do not feel is helping and I'm still using this form of sublingual b12

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 04/22/2003]
  12. klutzo

klutzo New Member

No, your periods and perimenopausal symtpoms have nothing to do with Prenicious anemia. PA is totally different from iron-deficiency anemia.
    However, since your background is 1/2 Scots-Irish, it would not be a bad idea to ask to be tested for it, esp. if you have symptoms of B12 deficiency, like chronic gastritis, or numbness and tingling.
    Klutzo