Klutzo- I want to pick your brain...Thanks!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pam_d, Oct 1, 2002.

1. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Hi! I'm new here, but have read many articles about the candida connection & have begun to wonder about the role it may play in my FMS symptoms. I certainly have the past history of antibiotic/estrogen/prednisone overuse. You have said you are naturopatically trained & I have gotten a lot of good info from your posts! I'm just learning & trying to get up to speed myself so I can be knowledgeable about treatment. I get the diet & NO SUGAR rule. My biggest diet fault is my craving for decaf diet pepsi (I know aspartame & carbonation are taboo) a couple of times a day; I can usually stay away from sugar, and the hidden sugars I'm learning about; creative cooking & baking and a ton of planning, I guess! My biggest question is: do you see any difference between prescribed nystatin for candida treatment, and the oregano oil, for example (other than that strict naturopaths would frown on "drugs" probably). Are they both effective ways to treat the problem? I bought some oregano oil capsules & already don't care to "burp oregano" which is all I've done! I see a new D.O. tomorrow, one I've heard is open-minded, as I'd really like a sympathetic doc's care in all this; unlike you, I'm not trained in natural or conventional medicine & recognize my limitations.Can nystatin be just as effective? Any insight you have would be appreciated, Thanks!!
    --Pam
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Hi! I'm new here, but have read many articles about the candida connection & have begun to wonder about the role it may play in my FMS symptoms. I certainly have the past history of antibiotic/estrogen/prednisone overuse. You have said you are naturopatically trained & I have gotten a lot of good info from your posts! I'm just learning & trying to get up to speed myself so I can be knowledgeable about treatment. I get the diet & NO SUGAR rule. My biggest diet fault is my craving for decaf diet pepsi (I know aspartame & carbonation are taboo) a couple of times a day; I can usually stay away from sugar, and the hidden sugars I'm learning about; creative cooking & baking and a ton of planning, I guess! My biggest question is: do you see any difference between prescribed nystatin for candida treatment, and the oregano oil, for example (other than that strict naturopaths would frown on "drugs" probably). Are they both effective ways to treat the problem? I bought some oregano oil capsules & already don't care to "burp oregano" which is all I've done! I see a new D.O. tomorrow, one I've heard is open-minded, as I'd really like a sympathetic doc's care in all this; unlike you, I'm not trained in natural or conventional medicine & recognize my limitations.Can nystatin be just as effective? Any insight you have would be appreciated, Thanks!!
    --Pam
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My IBS is so bad today I had to cancel a doctor's appt., so if I don't make sense, I apologize. I am SO tired of running to the bathroom. It happens every time I make homemade veggie soup....you'd think I'd learn!
    The reason I recommended Nystatin is very simple. I have experience with it working, and know it to be the safest of the available drugs. I believe in Integrative medicine...using the best of both types of medicine. I have no experience with oregano oil, so I cannot speak as to whether it works or not (sorry).
    Personally, I have serious problems with antibiotics, which are strong drugs, and it seems like it takes a strong drug to counteract the affects of a strong drug, if you get my drift. To put it another way, fight fire with fire!
    Maybe herblady will come along and address the oregano oil question. If you are burping it up, I hope you don't have GERD. I recently had a bad experience with fish oil aggravating my GERD,which had been in remission for years.
    Best of luck, and sorry I could not be of more help this time.
    Klutzo
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

You made more sense than you think, thanks so much. I agree about the antibiotics, too, I took long courses of them for years (like 6 weeks at a time) for repeated sinus and urinary infections, am just now realizing the devastating effects they can have.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my post, I appreciate your wisdom on the subject! Hope you feel better---

Pam