Klutzo---Mad Wolf---Need your help please?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen2002, Dec 14, 2002.

1. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hey would you guys mind reading my post titled,
    "Mikie---Need more Info--Calcium/Phos"

I could sure use any help or info that you could offer, on that.

Thanks so much,
    Karen
  2. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hey would you guys mind reading my post titled,
    "Mikie---Need more Info--Calcium/Phos"

I could sure use any help or info that you could offer, on that.

Thanks so much,
    Karen
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Is there anyway I can reverse this process of creating stones? So far none of the "rocket scientists" having given me anything more than a shoulder shrug on this.

I have passed one large stone this May (ouch, I have given birth 4 times--au natural (one, even at home with midwives attending) and that stone was by far my biggest accomplishment, lol---that was the epitomy of pain). Passed a small stone, recently. Have more--in rt kidney, and forming a new in left.

I understand that I can have those *darn fog* pulverized...ok don't laugh, can't think of the word...lol

What can I do to prevent new formation?
    And---why the heck can't you practice medicine closer to Texas, lol...
    Thanks,
    Karen
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Sorry, Karen, Madwolf is much more expert in this area than I am,but I will pass on what little I know.
    The tendency to form kidney stones is hereditary, so don't worry that you've done something wrong. Still, you can help fight that tendency. Eating a lot of refined carbohydrates can cause stones, because eating sugar causes more insulin release which in turn causes extra calcium to come out in your urine. There may be a connection between having IBS and kidney stones,and also a higher chance to get them if you eat a high oxalate diet (foods like spinach, yams, eggs, fish, coffee, tea, nuts, chocolate and more). Where I live, the southeast part of the U.S., is known as the "Stone belt" because the incidence of kidney stones is higher here. The reason is not known, but some blame it on the heat and resulting dehydration, some on the hard water, and some on the fatty food that is so popular down here.
    All I can suggest is to take Calcium Citrate (it is a myth that you should not take calcium if you make most types of stones....just the opposite is true, esp. if the calcium is citrate, which is more acidic) and drink TONS of water. Drink a quart daily for each 50 lbs. of your body weight. You may also consider a Methionine supplement of 500 mgs. daily for 8 weeks (then stop for at least 8 weeks before resuming). It is an amino acid that helps to destroy the type of free radicals associated with kidney stone production. Potassium is important too. You can get Methionine from meats, and potassium from orange and yellow fruits and veggies if you want to avoid supplements. Avoid sodas. Take Vitamin C to acidify your urine as most stones can't form in acid urine. You can also help acidify your urine by adding lemon juice to all that water you'll be drinking, and it will help your digestion as well. Avoid taking antacids. Exercise helps take calcium from the blood and put it in bones where it belongs, so keep moving. By far the most important thing is to drink, drink, drink that water!
    Klutzo
  5. klutzo

klutzo New Member

for reminding me about cranberry! I know it can help prevent UTI's, but didn't know it would help stones. Makes sense though, since it is so acidic.
    The sugar in commerical juices defeats the purpose, but the unsweetened stuff is unbearable. So, I recommend the cranberry pills. There is a brand called CranMax which I like cause you only have to take one per day. ProHealth may carry it...not sure.
    Klutzo
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, excess phosphate in the system does indicate FMS, but if one subscribes to Dr. St. Amand's theory, we are not able to excrete it efficiently through our kidneys. The tubules which normally help with excretion of phosphate do not work efficiently and to make things worse, they are the same tubules which help with excretion of salicylates. That is why when one uses the Guai treatment, one must eliminate the sals which compete with the phosphates in the kidneys. According to St. Amand, the sals win out over the phosphates and the phosphate debris is recycled through the bloodstream and eventually deposited in our soft tissue, especially in the muscles and brain, and finally in the joints. This is theoretically why our mitochondria cannot efficiently produce ATP.

This is why I questioned the diagnosis of FMS in anyone who is able to excrete a lot of phosphates; however, we are all different and I suppose there are exceptions.

Love, Mikie
  7. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I really appreciate you three taking the time to give me so much advice. This is definitely a cycle that is imperative for me to break. I believe the passing of the very large stone, in May of this year that I spoke of, and the resulting kidney infection with 104.7 temp for 3 days, was the trigger for my current health situation. Immediately after discharge from the hospital is when the onset of pain, fatigue, etc., began.
    It seems to me that a repeat of this could send me into a flare from hell.

I think I need the water regime anyway, as all my favorite liquids are one of the factors leading to an incredible weight gain. I have gained 30 pounds since the onset of this in May. Adding Citrus juice to the water, with the cranberry capsule daily, sounds like the route I will try. I have had recurrent UTI's since I was 13 (now 45) occuring EVERY 2-3 months. I have come to detest...cranberry juice, lol. It is apparent, too, the time has come for a complete dietary makeover. The carbs that I crave seem to be the culprit in many of my problems, stones, high blood pressure, and cholesterol. I am going to begin a light excercise program, as well, beginning with walking and stretching, and see how this affects me.

I will to have to think about what Mikie said....as this is greek to me--i have not looked into any of these aspects of fibro....and perhaps I should read St. Amand's works; as I have not, yet. Gosh, I have been tested for so much, as I know all of you had, and I would love to be able to throw this DX of Fibro away. I was dx'ed with tenderpoints in Sept., and the endocrinologist I just saw said it appeared that Fibro was the culprit, and offered a Rheumy consult. This is food for thought, though.

Again, it is so great to have your support and help. I will definitely implement your ideas. Thanks so much!
    Karen

[This Message was Edited on 12/15/2002]
  8. robin

robin New Member

WHO IS THIS ST AMANDS WORKS THAT SHOULD BE READ?
    HAVE IT CHOSEN THE RIGHT POST? ???

I'D LIKE TO READ THE WORKS TOO IF SOMEONE CAN
    DIRECT ME TO THE WHERE AND WHEN AND HOW.

THANKS.

ROBIN
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About FIBROMYALGIA," is a very good book by Dr. St. Amand whether or not you subscribe to his theory on our illness. The book deals with the use of the drug, Guaifenesin, to help reverse the symptoms of FMS. It's a good read.

You can also go to his website by searching on his name or the name of the drug.

Love, Mikie